bad eating and weight loss

Options
I know, eating right is important for general health and weight loss too... But I was wondering if it is really NECESSARY. :S

I mean... I have lost 30 pounds over the past 6 months, and I have pizza at least 2 times a week, with some pieces of milk chocolate everyday... Of course, I eat better than I used to, but I am still far from "eating clean"!

However, I do count my calories (in and out) with MFP and try not to eat more than I am allowed. I workout everyday too...

That being said, I still have 10-15 pounds of fat to loose... So I was wondering : is it possible to achieve a "perfect beach body" without eating like a nutritionist ? :S

Any success stories from "non-eating-right" people ???

Replies

• AydensMom528
    Options
    BUMP! I'd be interested to know this too!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    If someone tries to tell you they are eating clean all the time, I think they would be "exaggerating". :wink:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Those last few pounds are tough. I don't think it necessarily has to be perfect, but it does require more accuracy, commitment and focus than when you have a higher BF%. The body naturally prefers to have a cushion, so convincing it to let go of that is more difficult. You may not need to cut out ALL of the more decadent stuff, but you will likely need to cut down on it and eat cleaner.

Often, it's more about toning and building more muscle than actually losing much fat at that point, so strength training is important. Keep up the good work and just decide where your priorities are. :wink:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    If someone tries to tell you they are eating clean all the time, I think they would be "exaggerating". :wink:

No doubt, CM! :laugh:
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    I eat chocolate everyday and I dont deny myself pizza or cookie dough (my 2 favorite foods). but that only counts for 30% of my day usually. The other 70 is 100% whole wheat, lean meats and chicken, lots of veggies, etc. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life, always room to improve though :) FOOD makes me happy and when I deny what I want I end up binging.
  • Kelleinna
    Options
    Well, this isn't a success story yet, but I've lost 17 pounds so far (of the 120 or so total I want to lose). And I don't eat "clean". I eat "better than I used to". But the thing is I'm on food stamps and we're poor, and I actually can't AFFORD to eat "clean". So I do the best I can. And if I am really craving a "bad" food, I go ahead and eat a small portion of it... provided that it fits into my calorie goal. (Except on Saturdays, when I don't count calories... lol.) So far that system is working for me.

It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. And I have changed my lifestyle... I actually PAY ATTENTION to what I'm eating and how much now, I drink a ton of water (instead of diet soda almost exclusively), and I work out at least five days a week. I really don't think any lifestyle change is going to be sustainable if there isn't some room for the occasional chocolate or birthday cake or pizza or whatever... that's the world we live in.

Just my opinion, of course, but that's how I see it! :-)
  • Finallyhappy03
    Finallyhappy03 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can certainly relate to this. I've rode on the weight loss roller coaster for most of my adult life. Since October 2010 I've lost 23 pounds through moderation of my eating and vigorous exercise 6 days a week. In the past during weight loss attempts I've tried to restrict myself to boring baked chicken and broccoli and the like but it just was not something I could stick with. I certainly eat much healthier than I used to. I eat many more fruits and vegetables now but I still eat the things I enjoy, just less of them. If I order a cheeseburger once a month, I'll skip the french fries. If I have chicken wings I'll have a few instead of 10 and I don't use the blue cheese. I'm 7 lbs away from my goal of losing 30 pounds and I know that my new lifestyle is definitely something I can stick with because I never feel like I am depriving myself.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    The original poster has only a few pounds left to lose. Like ladyhawk said, that changes the game significantly.

Sure, you can eat "better than you used to" and lose 17 pounds fairly easily when you need to lose 120 pounds.

Check back when you are down to that last 10-15, and you have completely cleaned up your diet and are stuck.

The body will fight you tooth and nail (and will usually win) when you are trying to lose weight that is doesn't think you need to lose.
  • Finallyhappy03
    Options
    The original poster has only a few pounds left to lose. Like ladyhawk said, that changes the game significantly.

Sure, you can eat "better than you used to" and lose 17 pounds fairly easily when you need to lose 120 pounds.

Check back when you are down to that last 10-15, and you have completely cleaned up your diet and are stuck.

The body will fight you tooth and nail (and will usually win) when you are trying to lose weight that is doesn't think you need to lose.

I'm not clear what your advice to the original poster is?
  • cmriverside
    Options

I'm not clear what your advice to the original poster is?
  • Finallyhappy03
    Options
    My fault, I just went back and re-read Ladyhawke's post, guess I should have done that first:smile: