Did my chicken die of cancer?

ArchyJill
ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I am making crock pot/slow cooker chicken for dinner. As I was cutting the breasts away from the breastbone I noticed there was a good hunk of fibrous yellow (slight green tinge?) meat right up against the bone. I have deboned a lot of chickens and never seen this. It smelled OK, but I tossed the weird bits any way. Questions: #1 what the heck caused that? #2 should I toss the whole chicken out?

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Just another reason I am glad I stopped eating meat.

I don't know if I could eat it. Sounds nasty. Don't put it in your body! You don't know what it is...I'd throw the whole thing out. Can you get the nasty shet back? Take it all back to the market. Maybe they'll let you exchange it.
  • I think I would toss the chicken to be safe. Otherwise you will be worrying about it?
  • dp341
    dp341 Posts: 9
    Hi, I've had the same problem. When I investigated it seemed to be the result of muscle damage possibly caused by the chicken growing too large and possibly by rough handling when it's been caught. We threw out the damaged bits and ate the rest with no I'll effects.

You should be OK to eat the normal bits as it's not a disease or rotten meat etc. And there's nothing that can have spread into the rest of the meat.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    I would throw out the chicken. I only buy kosher meat and sometimes even organic kosher, so I know the animal only died in a humane way and not of natural causes (because an animal that dies of natural causes is automatically not kosher).

But, yeah, what you described would have freaked me out. Ewwww!
  • the dog would love it ;)
    I remember once I crisped up a whole grill full of chicken breasts and the dogs got the whole pile. They were so happy.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Reason 1,000,001 to buy meat that is farm raised and left to graze naturally. I am hoping I never have to go back to purchasing meat from the local, chain supermarkets.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    An update if anyone is curious. First off, it was a free range chicken so I asked the butcher what the story was and she told me that it was a sign of the chicken being "manhandled" at some point in its life, possibly when it was caught for slaughter. So we ate the chicken, no one has died or vomited.
This discussion has been closed.