Heart Rate Monitor - worth it?

Options
Hello all.
I have been working out hard and eating right, but I am increasingly getting frustrated with calorie estimations on my workouts. I really would like more accurate calorie counting, especially when doing DVD workouts, which don't really have a category to list the exercise under. I am currently on Day4 of 30DS and would like to know how much I am burning instead of putting 20minutes circuit training.
So, I basically have two questions:
1) What is the best, most accurate, and affordable heart rate monitor you all have used that counts calories based on your individual stats and is easy to use? I was checking out the polar watches and not really sure what I am looking for. Do I need the chest strap?
2) Does MFP exercise categories give calorie information that is based on my weight, age, etc. or is it the same for each of us using it?
HELP :)
Thanks!

Replies

• Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and LOVE IT!!! It's best to get a HRM with a chest strap. It's the only way to get accurate results.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it! (I heard that some of the Polar models, you are not able to change your own battery so there would be an added cost every year or so. I am able to change mine myself.) I noticed that MFP is over estimating on some exercises so it was great to have a more accurate read.

I heard that the HRM that have a chest strap are more accurate so I went with getting one that was included. I am not sure how accurate the ones that are just watches are.

I am not sure how they calculate the MFP calories. You may want to search the forums on that.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar f6, and I love love love it!

I definitely think it's a must, i've used it at the gym when i've used the treadmill and the elliptical, and it does give you more accurate results are it's linked to your age, height, sex, weight, etc, than the machine does. Also it tells you how many exercise minutes were spent doing light, moderate, and hard activity, which I love!

A chest strap is also a must! Mine came with one, so I definitely suggest you get one with the strap
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth it.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f6 with chest strap as well. I love mine and only trust what it tells me that I'm burning.
    For instance my ipod Nike+ will tell me that I burned 337 on my walk but it doesn't know if I was going up hill or down so I'll read my HRM and it will say a totally different number.

Good luck on your hunt. I got mine for Christmas last year and it's been one of the most used gifts I've ever gotten. :)
  • GinaSz3
    GinaSz3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, def get one and don't be cheap with it. I have the Polar ft40 and it came with the chest transmitter (strap). I believe the strap give more accuracy since its monitoring your heart rate as its changing.
    Ive tested the machine counters and they are usually off by 50 to 100 calories, also they can be tricky. the machines gives you a higher calorie burn if you want to; which I wouldn't suggest as I'm sure you really want to be honest with yourself and lose lbs not just play a game. LOL. Meaning that if you check your heart rate while you are at your max lets say 160 and dont check it again throughout your work out and you drop down to about 125, the machine is going to think you were at 160 the whole time and give you a high calorie burn count. MPF's calculators as well are usually off by about the same.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I just (as in an hour ago) bought a HRM from Amazon based on the ratings consumers give the products. I have found using those reviews that I get a wide range of opinions, and a few tips. I agree with you that knowing my own personal data is much better than counting on some average based on lots of people. I have never been disappointed in products I bought after good research, so good luck to you in finding a product that suits you best.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Well I love my Polar FT60. I thought I left it behind when I traveled over Thanksgiving and when I couldn't find it Monday for my workout I was nearly in tears.

But you said affordable, so I say anything Polar with a chest strap. If you workout (or can see yourself working out) in a gym/class where someone else will have an HRM, make sure the one you get is coded. Otherwise, yours might pick up their HR and throw off your settings. I think Polar FT7 is a pretty decent model for the price...not quite as good as my FT60 though:heart:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    Hello all.
    I have been working out hard and eating right, but I am increasingly getting frustrated with calorie estimations on my workouts. I really would like more accurate calorie counting, especially when doing DVD workouts, which don't really have a category to list the exercise under. I am currently on Day4 of 30DS and would like to know how much I am burning instead of putting 20minutes circuit training.
    So, I basically have two questions:
    1) What is the best, most accurate, and affordable heart rate monitor you all have used that counts calories based on your individual stats and is easy to use? I was checking out the polar watches and not really sure what I am looking for. Do I need the chest strap?
    2) Does MFP exercise categories give calorie information that is based on my weight, age, etc. or is it the same for each of us using it?
    HELP :)
    Thanks!

Question one: I have a polar A5 and I have used it for six years and it is still ticking. I just recently brought a new strap for the watch on Ebay. I would get one where you have to put in your weight, height and age for more accuracy. You should buy one with a chest strap also. They are worth every cent to me.

Not sure on question 2. Just so you know when you by a HRM you can erase MFP estimates and put in your HRM calorie count.
  • chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So which one did you buy? I, too, have read some reviews and am still up in the air.;)