Need Some Success

Options
It seems every time I set a weight loss goal, I have setback after setback. I have had one crisis after another this past month, and I can't even believe I'm still standing.

I am disciplined and determined and I have my goals written down, but when I get thrown off my feet, I find it so distracting emotionally and physically to get back going again. For example- I was so exhausted this morning I slept in till 10am ( I am usually up at 5am) and I still feel like I want to sleep. Exercising is the last thing I want to do. Then, the stress is making me crave carbs.

Anyway- I'm sure lots of you go through the same thing-and have been going through this too on the way to reaching your goals. It's just easy to think I'm the only one sometimes. It helps to know there are others out there struggling and overcoming too!

I am just so sick and tired of working my butt off to hit my weight loss goal, and losing 5 pounds, and then some crisis or big event happens to distract me and I fall off the wagon and am back at square one at my original weight. This has happened so many times in my life I can't even count.

And meanwhile, my skinny clothes stare at me in my closet.

Appreciate any support/stories of how you got through. I need whatever inspiration and support I can get!

Replies

• SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I can't set specific goals for myself. I only get frustrated when I don't make them. I just take one day at a time, and make the best choices I can when I can. If you don't feel like doing a full blown workout, at least go for a walk. Find activities that you enjoy and will look forward to doing, rather than pushing yourself to do something you don't want to do. Look at it as a lifestyle change, rather than a diet. A lifestyle change is something you stick with long term, not just something you do to fit into your skinny clothes. Make your goal to be healthy, and as you get healthier weight loss is a natural side affect of that.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You just need to not give up...
    I know that is always easy to write, and hard to actually do...but it is the TRUTH.

You need to just keep knocking them down. Imagine this...
    You are standing in a boxing ring...ready to fight, with gloves up.
    Your opponent is each problem or stress causer.
    Each time one comes at you, you knock it down, and there you are still standing.
    Keep knocking them down, keep your gloves up and your game face on..

I have been knocking them down since I was a small child...I have lived a horrible life of abuse and trauma, but here I am- still knocking them down...with my gloves up saying BRING IT.

Just a lil something that helps sometimes :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Find ways to cope with stress, however you can. Obviously your current strategy of coping is causing setbacks, so change the way you deal with stress. I've had life-threatening and life-altering experiences in my life, all from the choices that I've made on my own to create those problems, and I owned up to them. My mentality is, "If this is the hardest thing I've ever had to endure in my life, at this point, and I'm able to overcome this, then everything afterwards should be relatively easy to handle."

No one can tell you what to do. You make the decisions in your life. If you can't keep a promise to yourself, who can you keep a promise with? Life has a way of being fairly unfair. In other words, it may kick you down a couple of notches, but look at it like a test of patience and personal strength to see how determined you really are. Nothing should be able to waver your confidence. As a selfish person, I will be just as fierce with controlling my life just as life is as fierce with controlling the events that happen around it. Hell, as mentioned, I'll create my own problems just to see if I can find a way to solve them.

Everyone has the propensity for success. Often times, the more success one achieves, more challenges arise to ensure that success remains. You're only as strong as you believe yourself to be. Half-assed motivation will result in half-assed outcomes. So, keep at it. And have plenty of patience. A setback is just a stepping stone for learning how to overcome it next time.
  • julesbskinny
    julesbskinny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - I almost felt like I was writing the story! All I can tell you is to not give up. As long as you keep on trying you will get to your goal(s). I know all to well about stress eating... I started my new plan 50 days ago and have lost 21.8lbs --- one of the things i have tried to do is recognize when feel stressed and have the urge to eat. If you realize it before you automatically react then you stand a better chance of fighting the urges off. Believe me , I KNOW first hand how hard this is to do but recognition promotes awareness and awareness promotes change. When they say you have to reprogram yourself and reteach yourself new things...they weren't kidding. It's alot of work!!!! Also, remember to think about the long term benefits. A little prayer is always beneficial too - helps me. :) Keep at it and don't give up! YOU ARE THEREFORE YOU AM!!!! :happy:
  • julesbskinny
    julesbskinny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!! Love it! Keep knockin them down!!!!! :angry:
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I guess it's true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So, I am on my way to getting stronger...and skinnier. :)

Seems almost harder sometimes when it's a smaller amount of weight!