HELP! Plateau frustration.

Options
I am so very frustrated. My weight has not budged in 3 weeks.
I read, re-read, and then read Banks plateau thread on my head.
I upped my calories.
I lowered my calories.
I ate 1800 without exercise in a day.
I upped my exercise (which I now crave and will not change for anything) to 5-6 days a week 40-60 minutes a day (depends if strength training).
I change up my exercise from walk, jog, beach walk, swim and elliptical.
I am even increasing the weights that I use to build more muscle.

I am 47, post menopausal, 151.5 lbs, 5'2"
Prior to this endeavor I was in bed by 7pm due to pain from an injury
and now am much more acitive. Parking in back of the pkg lot, taking stairs, dancing around my office (i work from home) as my break from the computer.

You would think the weight would be falling off, but no.

I just dont know what else I can do.
I am not complaining about being a size 10-12 but darn, I want to lose 20-30 more pounds.

Am I destined to stay this weight?
Thanks for listening:heart:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am so very frustrated. My weight has not budged in 3 weeks.
    I read, re-read, and then read Banks plateau thread on my head.
    I upped my calories.
    I lowered my calories.
    I ate 1800 without exercise in a day.
    I upped my exercise (which I now crave and will not change for anything) to 5-6 days a week 40-60 minutes a day (depends if strength training).
    I change up my exercise from walk, jog, beach walk, swim and elliptical.
    I am even increasing the weights that I use to build more muscle.

I am 47, post menopausal, 151.5 lbs, 5'2"
    Prior to this endeavor I was in bed by 7pm due to pain from an injury
    and now am much more acitive. Parking in back of the pkg lot, taking stairs, dancing around my office (i work from home) as my break from the computer.

You would think the weight would be falling off, but no.

I just dont know what else I can do.
    I am not complaining about being a size 10-12 but darn, I want to lose 20-30 more pounds.

Am I destined to stay this weight?
    Thanks for listening:heart:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I know it may not be much comfort. . .but at least know you're not alone.

Along the way: I uttered the words maybe I'm destined to be _____ lbs." "*sigh". this happened at: 170,160, 150, and now 140. . .(but I know my body fat is decreasing. . .so that's OK) I was stuck about every ten pounds or so, and then it would come off again.

Sometimes the body is just re-adjusting and you need to give your changes some time to work. Way more time than you want to. . . like a month. (gasp! I know. . .) Our bodies fear change, big time. They like things to stay as they are. We evolved to survive famine, so realize you're fighting that.

Also, if you're increasing weight training, your muscles retain quite a bit of water and glycogen during recovery. . .so . . .that's a factor. Also, if you are in fact gaining muscle mass, that would account for the standstill as well.

Are you measuring? That saved my sanity, I tell you that for sure. Especially now, when the weight is actually creeping (oof) up due to the fact that I'm increasing muscle and losing fat.

If all else fails, there were times that I just took a break from the scale, which allowed me to focus on the other benefits from a healthier lifestyle. .. as you know. . .they are legion!
    :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am a big believer in the tape measure. Unfortunatly I measured when I hit 151 and it hasnt changed since. I do feel stronger though and that is a consolation(sp)

I just feel like I will never step on the scale and see the 140's

Not that i want you to be in pain too....but I do feel better knowing you went thru this. shows me if i keep it up i will be sending you a note...soooon. I hope telling you I am down a few.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I have been on MFP for over a month. The first week I dropped 3 lbs which I figured was probably mostly water weight or something. Week number 2 I dropped 1 more lb and that's been it. Absolutely no more lost in 3 to 4 weeks. I've tried everyone's suggestions and nothing has helped. The only thing I haven't done is take measurements. It's the next thing on my list though. If you aren't doing that I would definitely try it.

Good luck, and if you find the secret let me know!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I've been at that same weight for 3 months. I'm about your height and about 10 years younger. I started out just a few pounds ahead of you (at 170).

My weight comes off very slowly. Either I'm doing something wrong (cheating too much, maybe?) or it's just the way it is. You've lost just one pound less than I have in 1/2 the time. Stop beating yourself up. Everyone loses weight at a different rate. Keep with it; you'll get there - eventually. Just picture next year when you look back at this year - you will laugh at your own frustration in the joy of knowing you stuck with it and lost weight.

Also, each of those tactics need to be tried for at least 2 weeks (except the not exercise one!) - try intervals for 2 weeks, a new exercise, eating more, etc.

As a side note, I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday to make sure I don't have anything medically wrong with me, keeping me from losing weight. If I get the all clear, I'm going to see a dietitian.

Keep up the good work!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am SO with you on this right now. My weight has been pretty stagnant for the last 2 weeks and this week is seems to be creeping UP! I also take measurements and they haven't changed since September 1st. I'm just about to embark on a new tactic of moving my habit from 1200 net calories a day and eating all my exercise calories to eating 1400 cals a day on non-work out days and 1900 on days I do my real work outs. I'm terrified to try it and see more weight come on but I know I have to focus on the big picture.
    You're not alone in this and I'm sorry you need to experience this frustration but at least you're not alone! I was just about to hit my half way point too... sad psychological time for a plateau :frown:
  • sfphome
    Options
    Years ago, I joined a diet center called Nutritional Weight Loss. When clients plateaued, they specifically said to eat a potato, loaded with everything, cheese, sour cream, butter, bacon. It was not only an increase in calories, but mega carbs and fat. It worked everytime. You may want to try it.

Good Luck!!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    how on earth did that work? I am curious though, and I do love a baked potato!!
    :tongue:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    thanks everyone. I think I just needed to hear it from someone who doesnt live with me!

I just got home from shopping with one of my close friends. She too has lost some weight and we had a grand time buying pants a size smaller than the last time we shopped together.

I guess I am thinking back to when I was aroudn 30 and lost 18 pounds in 9 weeks for a trip. I worked out the same but only ate 1200 cals a day. period. Now I am eating my exercise cals and it is creeping me out.

There are a LOT of nutritionists and dietitions(arg spell?) and they all say if we go below 1200 we are starving our bodies. so i will keep up with what i am doing and pray for a lose.

thanks again for your input:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Years ago, I joined a diet center called Nutritional Weight Loss. When clients plateaued, they specifically said to eat a potato, loaded with everything, cheese, sour cream, butter, bacon. It was not only an increase in calories, but mega carbs and fat. It worked everytime. You may want to try it.

Good Luck!!

Ha :happy: I had bread at Olive Garden today with my soup and salad. maybe I will job something there!!(other than my memory...oh yeh I love bread!)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am SO with you on this right now. My weight has been pretty stagnant for the last 2 weeks and this week is seems to be creeping UP! I also take measurements and they haven't changed since September 1st. I'm just about to embark on a new tactic of moving my habit from 1200 net calories a day and eating all my exercise calories to eating 1400 cals a day on non-work out days and 1900 on days I do my real work outs. I'm terrified to try it and see more weight come on but I know I have to focus on the big picture.
    You're not alone in this and I'm sorry you need to experience this frustration but at least you're not alone! I was just about to hit my half way point too... sad psychological time for a plateau :frown:
    we
    Hmmm that is an idea. I pretty much keep to the 1200 on none work out days. maybe i should increase it. it sound so stupid-it is hard to do! INCREASE what i eat, isnt that how I got here in the 1st place? But maybe my body is po'd that i am not eating enough.

lets tag up next week and see if it helped!!:flowerforyou: