training for a 1/2 marathon

Options
I am training for a half marathon that is in the end of april. I just started Jan. I have been following something someone else has told me. I run Tuesday 2 miles, Wed. 3 miles, Thurs. 3 miles, Sat. 2 miles and then run it all out on Sunday. Which I am up to 8 today. first time. I know I also need to get out and mix it up with hills and faster runs but does anyone know if this schedule is a good one? Do you know of others? Any recomendations? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you google training schedules for a 1/2 marathon, you'll get lots of different advice. If you have an iPod or iPhone there is a great app called Runner's World Smartcoach that I've been using for my 10k training. My best advice is find a program that takes into consideration your current level of running, your goals and how much time you are willing to put into it. There's a million and one "experts" that can help you, but ultimately it's up to you!!!!

Good luck on the 1/2... I'm hoping to do one in September.. assuming the 10k goes well!!!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Seems like alot of junk miles to me... I only run 3-4 days per week and no more than that. What are you doing for crosstraining?

PS. I am a strong believer in Galloways program, which is what I followed to train for my first half!
  • peacemom
    peacemom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 1/2 marathon in early May and my coworkers have suggested Hal Higdon. I am going by his schedule. Good luck!:happy:
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just used Hal Higdon Half Intermiate...you can google the training plan. I ran my half marathon today and I am super happy with my results :)

Good luck
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I just used Hal Higdon Half Intermiate...you can google the training plan. I ran my half marathon today and I am super happy with my results :)

Good luck

Oooh Nikki how did it go?
  • foxynurse
    Options
    I am running my first half marathon in early May and for this race and other races I am following the plans on the Hal Higdon website.
  • pegwah26
    Options
    i'll be doing my second 1/2 in may-go to hal higdons web page-he has a good scedule for training-my sister told me about him and she's run alot of full and 1/2 marathons! it is alot of fun with the crowds and if there will be music along the route! good luck!
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    One word for you -- RunnersWorld.com. That site has all the running resources you could ever ask for, plus GOOD training plans that aren't just a shot in the dark.

Whenever I'm getting ready for a half, I ramp my mileage up to 20-25 miles a week for at least 2 months prior, but I only run 3-4 days a week because of my work schedule. If I understand your post correctly, you're doing about 20 miles a week right now, which is a good base mileage. You don't say how long you've been running? If you just started, running 20 miles a week is a recipe for injury. If you've been running a while, you should be just fine. I do recommend (despite what most training plans say) running the full 13 miles at least once in your training, that way you KNOW you can do the distance. Good luck!
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have (for my sins) said that I am going to do the Liverpool marathon in October and have only just started running - luckily hubby does loads of running /marathons and his advice was to start off with deal with TIME rather than milage - get used to actual running for a certain length of time - be aware of the milage you are doing but track your time more than anything - as you find your pace and increase your time on feet (whether it is running or run/walking your milage will increase naturally.

At the moment I go out on a Monday/Tuesday/Thursday and do about 45 min (about 4.5 miles) and then on a weekend whichever day you want go out for a longer time maybe 55-60 minutes - whichever program/plan you read ALL of them say - DONT increase your milage/ time by more than 10% a week - you can cross train on the other days by swimming/aerobics/cycling - zumba / aerobics was recommened to me because when you are running your legs/muscles only work in one direction - I was told to try and incorporate something that makes you go sideways, small fast movements this will get the smaller side muscles fired up

I cant answer the speed work only what I have been told and that if it is your first and you are just 'getting round' is concentrate on putting one foot infront of the other speed work etc comes into play when you are trying to go for PB's saying that it is supposed to increase your aerobic capacity and lactic acid threshold

hope this is some help ? - Im not an expert just what I have been told by hubby who has 20+ years running behind him and what I have picked up in runners world magazine - good luck x
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    2:32:30...that is 15 minutes faster than my last half (Feb 2010) and I ran the entire race (except the water stops). I am feeling fantastic!
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Let me pipe in here. I've run 3 marathons and 5 halves. I believe that the BEST programs out there for training are either the Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon (what I use). These programs are amazing, have a set number of miles, help you with your cross-training, etc. PLEASE remember to include a rest day (or two) each week. Another tidbit, strengthen your core. With my last marathon, I decided to strengthen my core (i.e. stomach/back/obliques) and it made a HUGE difference in my performance.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
    Run Strong,
    Shan
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice Half marathon training. My next half is also at the end of April. It includes runs of varying distances on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, cross-training, strength training days, long runs once a week and rest days, because they are important also. If you google hal hidgdon, you'll find it easily. I did it for my first half in December and my race went great. I thought about bumping up to his intermediate training schedule, but opted to stay with the novice plan.
  • goofyjilly
    Options
    I am going to run a half this October. I started to train for it last year but had a health issue come up and couldn't complete it. But I trained for the half and used this book: The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by David Whitsett, Forrest Dolgener, and Tanjala Kole. It has a great training schedule in it. It is for a full marathon so I just did half of what they suggested. Just another idea for anyone who is interested.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    2:32:30...that is 15 minutes faster than my last half (Feb 2010) and I ran the entire race (except the water stops). I am feeling fantastic!

OMG Girlie I am SOOOO proud of you! You did just freakng awesome!! You are my inspiration (but I will have to live vicariously through you because I will NEVER EVER come under 3 hours probably in my life)!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Runnersworld.com has some great plans that include interval and tempo work. I usually use a plan from there, but there are tons available. And many are free.
  • blakegreenwell
    Options
    Thanks for your help. You are right. There is alot of different views. Your input really helps.