I want to improve my level of fitness, is this enough?

Options
Well I go for long walks most days, so I will keep that up.. but I want to get fitter with actual workouts on alternate days. (one day yes, one day no.)

Is this enough to start off with?..5-10 min Warm up, Stretch all-over, and then I run on the spot for 7 minutes.

If stick at this for 2 months will I then be ready to do interval training?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Why can't you start interval training now?
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The goal is to get your heart rate up. On your long walks speed up a bit, mix it with short 30 second jogging, eventually your body will get use to it and long walks turn into long runs. The closer you get to your target heart rate the faster you'll get in shape.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I have to agree... if you are already doing long walks, why not try to do some running in there? Do a 5 minute warm up, stretch, run for a minute or two (or even 30 seconds) and then walk for a while.... run for a little bit, walk for a while, and keep repeating that.

If you are looking for a more formal way of doing that, check out C25K or the Conservative C25K. I really like the conservative one... I started it last summer but then quit because I was training to walk a 5K instead of run/walk. I'm about to start it back up again now that it is nicer outside!

ETA Conservative c25k link:
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Why can't you start interval training now?
    Agreed. You can do interval training at any fitness level. Just push yourself to YOUR max for a minute or 2 then walk then push again. It is your workout. Tailor it to you.
    Have fun!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree too, there is no time like the present to start. I also recommend the C25K program. If you'r already walking there is no reason not to start jogging. I think any increase then decrease in heart rate is considered interval training? (yes? no?) If you're running on the spot for 7 minutes why not run outside for 7 minutes? Running in place is great cardio and it will build some muscle, but running outside will tone and strengthen your legs and core. The resistance of hitting the ground will build muscle. This will improve your overall level of fitness :-)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I find your body improves pretty rapidly with exercise, what was enough last week may not, probably isn't enough in fact this week. When I started riding a bike again after years I was happy I made 5 miles, by the next week 11 wasn't long enough, now sometimes 40 seems to short if it is a nice day. Same with other forms of exercise. Just push it a little more each time.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should already be starting interval training. It doesn't matter how unfit you are, the training is meant to make you become fitter! Try mixing up your routine by adding cycling to your workout and using dumbells for strength workouts. Good luck :)
  • muchlessfat
    Options
    I'm just trying to make a habit of working out every other morning at home.. increasing my heart rate and breaking a sweat. I don't like the idea of getting all sweaty in public (thats why I just walk, its just me.) I have been slowly changing my eating habits and I think high intensity interval training is better acompanied with a structured eating plan which I'm not really ready for right now, I'm just focusing on eating "clean" (unprocessed, wholefoods) and chewing my foods properly, and getting into the habit of doing actual workouts. I'm just wondering If what I plan to start out with will improve my fitness level or is it too light?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Any amount of exercise will improve your fitness level as long as it is challenging. Try your idea for a few days, and if you find you are getting through it easily, increase your activity.