Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Did I really burn that many calories?

For the first time yesterday I used my new HRM, a Timex Ironman. Yesterday and today I did Level 2 of 30 day Shred. Both days my HRM says I burned over 500 calories. Can that be right? MFP says circuit training for 25 mins is around 330cals for my weight. Has anyone else experienced this? Shouldn't a HRM be the most accurate reading?

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I know that how many calories burned varies per person because of the amount of weight you have to move during a work out. If you weigh more, it may be accurate. I just played an hour of tennis and only burned 490 calories, I weigh about 137 pounds. You could wear it again when you do that work out again next time, to see if it's consistant. If it is, then it's probably accurate. Good job on the great calorie burn!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    The numbers provided by MFP are, at best, averages. You may work out harder than average and may just burn calories faster than average. The HRM is the most accurate way to measure, but only the kind that have the chest strap. The wrist-only models haven't proven to be as accurate. So, since the Ironman, I believe, has a chest strap, it's most likely accurate.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I am not familiar with that one. Does it have a chest strap that provides a constant track of your heart rate? Or is it only a watch that you have to push a button repeatedly to track your heart rate? What kind of data did it have you enter? My polar FT-7 asks for gender, height, weight, and age. If it doesn't ask for gender, it might be calibrated for men, who have a higher burn than women. I make sure to update my weight weekly so it stays accurate. I currently weight 157 pounds and am 5'8" and I burn right about the 300 calorie mark with my HRM doing the 30DS.
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    The numbers provided by MFP are, at best, averages. You may work out harder than average and may just burn calories faster than average. The HRM is the most accurate way to measure, but only the kind that have the chest strap. The wrist-only models haven't proven to be as accurate. So, since the Ironman, I believe, has a chest strap, it's most likely accurate.

I'm so glad I spent the money on a good one! My elliptical machine was almost half of what MFP was saying and now that I have a HRM I am seeing that my calories burned are about 100 less than the elliptical was saying! Did that make any sense at all?? Agreed, it needs to be strapped on you to be accurate!!
  • Thanks for the replies! It does have a chest strap, and it said it was a woman's watch, so it never asked for gender. I'll have to see if I get the same burn day after day.