Squats

Options
Hello everyone! I am starting to actually like, even possibly love doing squats. What I would like to know is: What's the best bang for your buck when doing squats; smith machine, free weight squats etc... I wanna make sure I do the best squats :) Thanks!

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they are the best, but I really like free weight sumo squats. They target my inner thighs which, let me tell you, need work!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Change it up, always. This way it is always switching the focused muscles in your thighs, calves, and glutes. Sumos, close, standard are great. But even by changing your foot positioning, toes in or out, you are working different muscle grains. Mix it up. :-D Also, I feel that free weights or independent squats are better for core, and stability while using MANY muscles at a time. Smith helps with isolating strength. Add weight to your different squats, lighter till failure, and heavy with less reps, also hack squats and wall sits. OH, or even try one leg squats!! And challenge yourself by using a buso ball (with basic squats first to get form) to throw off balance so you have to engage even more muscles to keep your form correct. Also turning your squats into plyometrics is super effective and will shred your muscles and define your thighs. Try doing as many jump squats as possible. Then just work up as you go. Lunges-cross over, backwards, walking and static are all great too! :-D

Have fun with it, mix it up, keep those muscle fibers guessing. I like Squats too!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, Shawnalee. You sure know all about squats!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    He He Thanks. I actually started studying to be a personal trainer (but couldn't afford the formal course) and I have worked with many trainers (as mentors not only trainers) and followed many different circuit training programs. I love to learn about things. :-D I have a few great nutrition books and physical training books. It's a strange interest, but it has benefited me in my own journey and I have learned a lot about myself in the process.

Oh and I just read your signature! I totally get that DAMN SCALE thing! Congrats on the belt notches and higher butt! ;) That's a wonderful accomplishment!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shawnalee

I feel like i'm working a lot harder when i'm holding weights and doing squats. I usually hold them in front of me or sometimes even hold them out to the side or above my head. Ps. i like what squats do to my butt...so does my bf :P
  • gargust
    Options
    A free weight squat of any form is the best 'bang for your buck.' Smith machines and other machines are useful, but really can't compare to free weight stuff. Just be sure you're utilizing proper form, as they can be dangerous.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Smith machine squats are the devil, look at the stupid machine, it puts your body at an un-natural angle. The only purpose it has it for curl jockeys and hack squats in my book. Free weight squats are going to work for flexor and stabilizer muscles, more bang for you buck, and in this economy, who doesn't love that. I use about 4 different squat methods during my squat day. I use back squats (regular not sumo, but incorporate some sumo from time to time to hit my inner thighs tighter), front squats for high reps, zercher squats, and hack squats. Nothing like getting under the bar with 500lbs of iron and pushin that outta the hole.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah squats are awesome.

Please dont smith squats. Ever. so bad for your back.

yeah like what they said, mix it up, but use the big bad back squat as the focus exercise.
    I often use bulgarian split squats, front squats, and also single leg leg press for assistance exercises.

Bulgarian split squats are freaking amazing!!! Try them, and enjoy the pain!!! haha.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As stated, use free weights, they work so many other muscles while squatting that anything else is just a waste of good squats.