Calories Burned for strength training??

Options
Hello, I have been on here only 2 days now. I do strength training at high intensity sometimes, is there a way to see calories burned for that? or is it only cardio?? Thank you!
Fancee

Replies

• jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The best way to know what you're burning is to use a heart rate monitor that tracks calories burned. Since everyone works at different intensities and things such as age and weight factor in, its hard to estimate.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    This calculator can give you a rough estimate. Take it with a grain of salt....
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    under exercise/cardio do a search on strength training and it will come up as a choice.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about this. On one hand, I strength train 3 times a week and feel like it should count as I'm sure I'm burning some calories. On the other hand, if I don't count it it's probably not enough to make a difference and it just means I'll eat a bit less, which can only help. It's a little bit of a dilemma.
  • susanban
    Options
    Thanx for the input everyone.
  • gargust
    Options
    Extremely hard to quantify calories burned by strength training. Intensity? Weight? Reps? Free weights or machines? How long is the break between sets? Olympic? Your body weight? Your body fat content? If you're counting calories, you might want to play it safe and just quantify it as 'cardio,' since at least that way you won't be OVER estimating how much you're burning.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    This is the one thing I really dislike about this site. If you want to change your body, you MUST weight train. For me, it's the single best thing I can do for my health & physique. I track it as a "cardio" exercise, only because it's the only way MFP counts it toward my calories. I take it with a grain of salt, though. Good luck, and keep lifting!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I just did 40 min of strength training so this topic helped thanks :)