ACL/Meniscus

Options
Hiya guys,

I would like to hear from anyone on here who has had an ACL replacement and/or meniscus repair/removal.
I have had 4 surgerys on my right knee in the past year, and I am just getting my knee back to full fitness. I still have some restrictions and I was wondering who else here has the same kind of problems x

Replies

• ShadowSpiritRider
    Options
    Hi Hallz ~

I too, have had an ACL-hamstring graft repair.

I had my first surgery in 2003 and initially things looked good. A few months into my recuperation I found I was having a lot of pain (felt like someone was sticking knives in my knee) and my surgeon said "Really? You shouldn't be having any pain" .. um, ya think? I mentioned it several times over the next several months, during my follow-up visits, without any resolve.

I mentioned my knee pain to my PCP during an asthma check, and he was the one who finally diagnosed the problem (after a series of x-rays) .. my surgeon left bone chips in my knee during the surgery. A second surgery (arthroscopic) was scheduled with a different knee surgeon and the problem pieces removed. I was pain-free for almost two years .. then I fell.

Since then I've had, depending on the day and weather conditions, chronic pain in my knee due to the arthritis that has developed. I have just started working with a personal trainer, and we'll be working to safe-guard my knee, while building my strength and bringing my weight down.

Feel free to friend me and we'll trade what works and what doesn't on the road to recovery and weight loss ... :)

Take care,
    Shadow
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Hi, I had an ACL recronstruction back in 2000 ( I was 16). It was a clean tear, no miniscus damage. The physical therapy and rehabilitation was the hardest part of the whole ordeal. Now, 10 years later, I have knee pain occasionally. It's usually a dull ache that happens after a long run or a long day on my feet. The thing that bothers me most is the hamstring they used for the reconstrucion. It's considerably weaker than my other one and always will be from what I was told. It also catches very easily. Other than that, I'm very thankful I had the surgery. I'm currently training for my first half marathon and very thankful for the successful surgery. I wish you luck with your knee problems!