setting goals ( the right kind)

Options
I am writing this carefully, because I don't want people to take this the wrong way, we all need goals. However with that said. I do have some concerns over some of the goals I see posted . I know what it is like to have a lot of weight to lose so I know the need for goal setting.
Here is the thing. I see on here some people who say they want to loose so many LBS by such an such a time or get to a certain size by whatever date. Some of it is realistic, most of it is not.

What I have learned over the course of time . Is sometimes that can set us up for failure if we don't reach those goals. Especially if the goal is too big. For instance I want to loose 40lbs in 4 months. Maybe, maybe not.

Why not set a goal, like For this month, I'm going to give up white flour and white sugar, I'm going to eat only whole grains.

Or for this month, no potatoes, and no white flour. Just see how good your body feels. Just strive to make good healthy eating choices.

If you work out 3 times a week, make it 4 or 5 times. Dont put your emphasis on those numbers. When you do it gets stressful. I know when I do , I get discouraged when I don't see what I want. The weight will drop, inches will come off, but more importantly you will be making good changes that will last for a lifetime. It's not about an easy fix, it's a lifestyle change.

I quit a weight loss program because they were putting too much focus on the scale and not the lifestyle . That is really what it is all about.

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I totally agree....I have goals but with no dates....I also am trying very hard to get goals for what foods not to eat. You just gave me a few...I have struggled to long with my weight to make dates of losing the weight to fast and not learn HOW to eat. I dont do cheat days either. If I have a craving for something I figure it in on my calories. Thats just me though. My mind works if I have a cheat day I will cheat more then just that one day. Thanks for posting this and I would love to add you as a friend on here if you dont mind.

Misty
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    bump...

So true. Too many people worry about losing insane amounts of weight (which is probably why fad diets are so popular) instead of making healthy choices for life. You can't always make yourself eat a lot less and exercise a bunch for the rest of your life, so instead focus on "dieting" the "right way" because your diet is nothing more than your eating habits. Changing to healthy eating and exercise habits can help you better in the long run.
  • serenityseeker78
    Options
    I take thing's One Day At A Time. I set small goals; like stay away from the cookies and grab an orange instead. If I mess up I keep going. Just starting about two weeks ago and just joining this site today. It will make it easier for me to discipline myself. I am actually logging what I eat, and what I do. I would probably feel embarrassed after a while of if I keep logging cookies, no exercise, too much coffee and not enough of the the things that I have to change and do.
  • jala9656
    jala9656 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you said in your post. It gave me some things to think about. Thanks!
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have just joined here because I want to make this a lifestyle forever, not to a goal. Setting a goal weight can lead to future failure as you feel you have reached the goal. Lifestyle is forever and thats what Im after