Wii scales

lildazey
lildazey Posts: 86 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I have 2 scales in my home. One upstairs, that's old, and I've never thought it to be very accurate, and the WII scale. I use the wii scale for my actual weigh ins, mostly because it is easy to read. My question is, how accurate is it? My scale upstairs this morning, showed a 3 lb weight loss, the wii says I have only lost about .25 of a lb. Should I keep going by the wii scale, or is it time to go buy a new digital scale?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    If your balance board is on carpet, it's not accurate. Put it on a hard floor, or put a thin, flat something under it (a shelf from an adjustable bookshelf, or a piece of 1x12 lumber) to make it more accurate.
  • cambam84
    cambam84 Posts: 59 Member
    I think the wii scales are off. I would go with the other scale. I can being doing good on the diet thing and the wii will say I have gained weight and my other scale says I'm the same!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    I used to weigh on my wii balance board until I found that my weight was very different depending on which fitness game I was doing My wii fit gave me a weight of 98kg and then when I used the biggest loser game I was 102kg and my personal fitness coach was only 97kg. With this I chose to buy new scales as I couldn't rely on my balance board x
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Always weigh on the same scale in the same place, that way you will know how much you've lost. If it's 2lb out, it's always going to be 2lbs out regardless.

I always use the wii fit scale, i don't have any other.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I use my Wii Fit because it's more reliable than my bathroom scale. The Wii is pretty close to the scale at the doctor's office. I noticed a difference between what the Wii Fit says and what other games say but I figured that was most likely because I always wear the same clothes and weigh in on the Wii Fit first thing in the morning before I've eaten and I play other games later in the day wearing more clothes, after I've eaten, etc.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    My Wii has never been right. It goes between 16 and 40 pounds different than my digital scale in the bathroom. The Wii looks better :smile: but I know it isn't accurate. I can get on and off over and over and never have it give the same weight twice.
  • lildazey
    lildazey Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks everyone!! I think I will stick to the wii for now, and maybe learn to use the scale at the gym!
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    go buy some accurate digital scales and start from scratch ther only around £10 / $15
    small price to pay for a good reading!!

id be very suprised if the wii boards are calibrated to standards!

you could try taking some weights on the board with you i.e. 10llb dumbells and see how accurate the 10llb difference is ect ect
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    What a sore yet timely subject.

I used to rely on wii fit for weight/bmi. And I will admit I was using the wii balance board on the carpeted floor.

But I was having a yo-yo effect.... gain one week, loss following week, gain, lose.....

Then I started kickboxing and lost one week, lost the next week.
    Gained the third week and this week wii fit told me I lost 14lbs in one week. Highly unlikely.

I got a new scale today... and I'm 10lbs heavier than last week's wii fit weight.

Needless to say I am devasted, angry, hurt. Feel the wii fit weight was wrong along.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    haha this has made me chuckle, My board told me yesterday that I had lost 1st 9lb in just 8 days:noway: when in reality it was a 1lb loss on my digital scales. I will not be using the Wii fit scales for confirmation.
  • my wii and bathroom scale read the samething,
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    argh,confusing! i used to use the wii fit scales but now without it i am stuck with cheap crappy bathroom ones that are very inaccurate, they only go by Kg and if you tap them the needle can swing from starting at 0 or 1kg or 2kg, no point.
    I used my wii scales to measure luggage (20kg allowance for easyjet) and they were pretty accurate, showed the same weight the next day at the airport.
  • I weigh on carpet, but their are adapters for the board to put on when weighing on carpet. It always weighs me a little more than the Dr. scale, but the weight loss seems pretty accurate
This discussion has been closed.