Elliptical Workouts

Options
I just got an elliptical and was wanting to know what your workout rountie on one is????

Replies

• mommy2halfdozen
    mommy2halfdozen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do a half hour a day 2 a day five days a week.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes, on level 8
  • nukehiker
    Options
    on the elliptical at my YMCA i use the interval program which is 30 minutes. you can increase the time if needed. i set the resistance at 4. now it will start you slow for 2 minutes then it will go high for 2 minutes and keep that going for the whole 30 minutes i think i burn about 375 cals for each 30 minute session
  • JenBot
    JenBot Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started off doing 10 minutes a day, 6 days a week for the first week. Each week i add 2 additional minutes per day. My eliptical has a weight loss program and it's a pretty good workout. Good luck!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I use the pre-set programs on the gym elipticals. One day I'll do the weight loss (4 minutes at a low incline and resistance, then 4 minutes at a higher inclince and resistance) for 30 minutes; another day I'll do the interval course (1 minute switch off, similar to the weight loss one) which is an hour. I generally do 45 minutes to an hour and burn about 500-600 calories depending on the time and how hard I work.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    It works great to go up and down with the resistance level. There is a magazine at the gym I go to that has cardio burn workouts that last 30 minutes with adjusting the resistance level on it every 2 minutes. I don't have it with me, but you can google cardio burn 30 minute workouts and I am sure you can find a lot. You might start out on resistance level 3 for 5 minutes, then up to resistance level 7 for 2 minutes, then down to resistance 5 for 2 minutes, then up to level 9 for 2 minutes, back down to level 4 for 2 minutes...etc. The changing of the intensity will burn a lot of calories, more than just going on level 5 for 30 minutes, for example. Make sure you work your arms too if there are handles that move. Even though you aren't really using your arm muscles, you are burning a few more calories by keeping them moving. Another thing I do is to try to balance without holding any handles on the elliptical, just for like 2 minutes. It makes you balance which works your core!
  • mmmary201
    Options
    I prefer to do 60 minutes on an "easy" setting (the settings vary so much per machine....my 1 level at home is equivalent to about a 5 on the machine at the YMCA)...but I'll do 30 minimum if needs be. I aim for 5-6 days a week.

Also, when doing 60 minutes, I'll do 20min forward, 10min backwards, 20 forward and 5min backwards and 5 min cool down. It really helps break it up and makes it go quickly!
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    45 mins 6 days a week, plus i do jillian michaels 30 day shred every other day and turbo jam the other days
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just started using mine today my plan is 15 min today and add a couple min a day till i get built up to where I want to be
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    40-60 minutes. Level8-10. Intervals of 130-150 rpms mixed with short (30 second) sprints up to 200-230 rpms. Incline on 10. Love the elliptical....I do not hold on to anything, just center my weight over my feet and crank:)
  • sarahpacheco611
    Options
    I never used the programs before my Fiances does them a lot. Right now i am working out on one 4 days a week plus 2 hours of personal training. i use the eliptical for 30 mins as everyone else on level 5 with 3 resistance working my way up. my fiance does 30 mins and does level 13-17 hes friggin crazy lol
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I got on the elliptical last night for the very first time! It was the one at my mom's...so it isn't a real hi-tech one. I felt the distance between the feet when one is all the way up and one is all the way down was too big. It really hurt my knees...but I have had surgery on them. I made it to 5 minutes and when I got off my legs were like rubber bands! I couldn't even walk! Hey, I did it though. Not bad considering I have been on disability for 7 years for my knees and back.
  • drw1212
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical, I started a month ago doing 20-30 minutes on low intensity. I am now on high intensity for 60-80 minutes and it is wonderful! Good luck :o)
  • MissFDavis
    Options
    When I was using the eliptical trainer at the gym I usually did 30 mins, 5 days a week...I normally burned between 300-315 calories each workout.
  • staceywalker
    Options
    I love the elliptical at my gym but am thinking about purchasing one for home. Any suggestions for a good home one?
  • drw1212
    Options
    My husband bought me a octane fitness at home its great! :o)
  • staceywalker
    Options
    Thank you I will check it out!
  • oliveoil87
    oliveoil87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So far I could only do 15 -20minutes. I definitely like that adding two minutes weekly. I will try that, hopefully I'll be able to do 45-60 in no time!
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Jillian Michael ifit card if you have that type. Start in level one even if you are in decent shape. Level 2 jumps to about level 5 and is super hard but its a different workout everyday so your body doesn't adjust.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Sams club has some pretty good proform with ifit capability for a decent price.