does zumba really work?

Options
I have heard people say they do sumba or that its fun, but my question is,... does it really work? I am thinking about getting the games for kiniect and maybe trying a class at the gym, but I don't want to waste the money if it is just fun to do, but not going to help burn the calories. does anyone have a calorie measurement?? Thanks for your info!!!!

Replies

• Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can burn up to 1000 cal/hr doing Zumba depending on your weight and effort. You can get a really good burn.
  • nejohn
    nejohn Posts: 62
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba and it has helped me to lose 101 pounds! You really need to give it a try. :)
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    As long as you are moving and shaking to the music you are burning! It is an awesome burn!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I went last week for the first time and I am going back to the same class tomorrow at noon...it is an excellent calorie burner and gets you toned in all the right places!!! Gotta use those hips!!!! LOL
  • StephanieBFree
    StephanieBFree Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I personally love Zumba classes. I wear a heart rate monitor with chest strap when I do it and on average gain anywhere from 475 calories to 500 calories per 1 hour class. It is a great workout and a tonne of fun. I am literally dripping in sweat when I do it. I think as my cardio improves I will probably burn more calories. It is great conditioning and I love the fact that I get to add those calories to my daily food intake.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    here's my take on zumba (which i am totally biased zumba addict)..... :bigsmile:

zumba class with high energy instructors ROCKS! i am 5'5" 39 year old @ 205lbs and I burn 650-750 per hour class.

i got zumba for the wii to fill in between classes and i burned 380 calories in 45 minutes. it's ok. not the same as class experience for me. the energy of the instructor(s) and all the other women in class just make you MOVE!.

im not a big "exercise at home" person so i'm totally advising you to TRY ZUMBA....but try a class.

my opinion....i'm sure there are plenty that really enjoy the dvds or the kinect/wii game.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    It definitely works in calorie burn! At the gym, my class is 45 minutes and I burn at least 10 cals/minute there, so 450 calories. I also have the Zumba game for the PS3 Move, and I don't burn as many calories using it so far because I have it set on "beginner," (it is set up like a real game where I have to get so many "points" before I can move up to intermediate and expert level) but I normally burn well over 300 calories in 40 minutes doing it at home. I think it is also effective for me in that on days I don't feel like working out, I know I can do Zumba and have fun...whereas I probably would not have done a traditional workout like running or biking that day.
  • TinaBina975
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!
    When I first started my journey, a little over a year ago, I started off with Zumba, twice a week. I would add to it by doing some of the Wii workout games during the rest of the week. The pounds did melt off. The class goes so fast, that it doesn't feel like the "drag" workout that you can sometimes feel with other activities. I still go to Zumba, usually twice a week.
    I have bought the Zumba DVD's to do at home, but I don't care for them as much as I do the class. I don't know if it's the updated music my instructor uses or just the general atmosphere of the class
    I have not tried the Zumba game yet. I would like to try it, before I purchase it.

My only suggestion, would be for you to try one class and see if you like it. When I went to my first class, I couldn't make it through without stopping to catch my breath. The instructor said to give her 3 classes before I decided if I liked it or not. Even though I struggled in the beginning, I did enjoy it. I felt as if I was accomplishing something.

I wish you luck. If you decided to take a class, I hope you enjoy it. :)
    Tina
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since Feb 1st. I've lost 4 inches in my waist. I burn 600 calories daily doing Zumba on the Kinect for 56 minutes. I burn around 750 calories for an hour in a class twice a week.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my main exercise and I burn between 450 and 650 cals in an hour!! Its great fun too... not sure about zumba on Kinect as I dont have that game yet but it looks really good.... im planning on getting it very soon!!! =]

Also i would like to add it is totally reshaping my body in such a feminine way... I :heart: ZUMBA!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Zumba is a great workout. My friend loves it on her Kinect and really works up a sweat. I also saw on a Yahoo News article that Zumba is one of the top 6 calorie burners! I can't remember which # it was..maybe 3rd or 4th? Kickboxing was #1 and Running was # 6 though.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It works! I do it 4 days a week and LOVE it!
  • my8kidsmom
    my8kidsmom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have heard people say they do sumba or that its fun, but my question is,... does it really work? I am thinking about getting the games for kiniect and maybe trying a class at the gym, but I don't want to waste the money if it is just fun to do, but not going to help burn the calories. does anyone have a calorie measurement?? Thanks for your info!!!!

I wear a bodymedia band and I burn 600 calories in class and just a touch under that on the Xbox Kinect Wii :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD's and have used them since late June of last year. I swore the "Lose a size in a week" claim was hogwash, but by the time I was ready to do it, it was true! My clothes started falling off me. I am now using a KettleWorx to add strength training, but Zumba is what has helped me shed pounds and most importantly inches!

FWIW, I switched to Jillian Michaels's "30 Day Shred" right after New Year's to see if I could get as good or better results. After 15 days I gave it up - I was in major pain and I was not losing weight or inches. Went back to Zumba and I'm much happier!
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 1005 and 1418 (those are my lowest and highest counts according to my HRM). I love it. It is fun and it is the only exercise I actually look forward to.