need ideas to get more veggies

Options
I have been on here a week and so far I am loving it. the support has been fabulous. I am staying under my calorie count. first time ever in my life.
My trouble is I am looking for ways to get more veggies and fruit in my diet. I am not a moring person so breakfast for me is hard . I usually grab a greek yogurt an coffee.
I love salad but don't want to burn myself out on it. I eat steamed broccoli and cauliflower .
Fruits its usually apples bananas, and strawberries.

any ideas

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You should find interesting ways to get those veggies. If you aren't a morning person, and I'm not, I find that making an omelet the night before with spinach or shrooms or something helps. Just reheat in the microwave.
  • Nikayla11209
    Options
    I love to eat yogurt in the morning with some sort of berries mixed in, its super easy and adds a great flavor. Salsa is a good way to get different veggies in (best if you make the salsa yourself) ! :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm a really big fan of baked sweet potato or acorn squash with my dinner. I just bake a fish fillet and throw the potato or squash wrapped in tin foil in with it. Cook for 25 minutes til it's soft and I add a bit of brown sugar and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter to it and it's delicious and around 150 calories.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sauteed zuchinni, asparagus, squash, eggplant....just slice fairly thinly with a little salt/pepper/seasoning, add a little olive oil and sautee. Delic!
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Veggie Fajitas, puree spinach, carrots, and onion and put into your meatloaf, there's all kinds of vegetable recipes you can google. Celery, and peanut butter, make it ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    this may seem strange, but I like soup in the morning!
    A nice hot cup of veggie soup-I figure it has the good stuff in it to get my metabolism cranking.
    Sometimes I blend it for easy portability but the consistency might not be for everyone.
    I also pre-make eggs, they heat up just fine.
    Maybe you could do some sort of veggie/egg burrito? Just cook everything before.
    Theres always V-8 too.
    Good luck
  • vabheegaard
    Options
    Buy a juicer! I have the Jack Lalane and love it!!!!!!!!!!! Great for my kids too!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try mashed cauliflower to replace mashed potatoes. Over roasted root vegetables is yummy too, serve it with yogurt. Just cut up sweet potatoes, turnips, onion, whatever you like and toss it with a little olive oil and rosemary, s&p. Bake it at 400 for about 30-40 minutes, until tender.
    Another of my favorites it carrot ginger soup. Cook carrots and minced ginger in some chicken of vegetable stock until tender, the puree it in the blender. It tastes so creamy but has no fat!
  • irishpagan
    Options
    I add carrots to everything. If they're grated or blended you don't notice and it doesn't change the flavor much. I'll throw them in meatloaf, tomato sauce, soups, shred them and put them on sandwiches... Sliced green peppers are great on sandwiches too.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just thought of something else I do- when I make my turkey burgers, I throw in
    all kinds of veggies-carrots, corn, spinach, beans..very good! Makes them big and juicy too!
  • ChloMonster
    ChloMonster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started slowly... chopping up dreaded unwanted veggies into the smallest of pieces and adding them to meatloaf or spaghetti sauce. I tried one new thing a month. I ate it once a week for a month. If I didn't like it after that, I never ate it again. I eat a larger variety of veggies now, and I eat them daily. Fruit same thing. Started adding a couple fresh blueberries to my yogurt, now I add 60 grams.
  • sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had to learn to sneak it in! So.. I bought some flat bread and made cheese and vegetable wraps. I used the 100 calorie wrap, and fat free cheeses. I would change up the veggies and use any combination of spinach or lettuce and carrots, tomatoes and mushrooms and garbanzo beans and corn, whatever you like and think taste good together.You can also use low fat or fat free sour cream in them instead of fat free cheese.
    I also started adding berries to breakfast in my cereals or yogurt.
    For dinner I throw fresh asparagus in the pan with chicken or a pork chop that I cook in a skillet on the stove with water and spray on olive oil. I cover it and eat it Really good and really fast!!
    You can also add veggies and fruit through v-8 drinks.
    Soups are also a good source.
    I also love a baked potato, with nothing but butter spray!!
  • princess4mimi
    Options
    I had to learn to sneak it in! So.. I bought some flat bread and made cheese and vegetable wraps. I used the 100 calorie wrap, and fat free cheeses. I would change up the veggies and use any combination of spinach or lettuce and carrots, tomatoes and mushrooms and garbanzo beans and corn, whatever you like and think taste good together.You can also use low fat or fat free sour cream in them instead of fat free cheese.
    I also started adding berries to breakfast in my cereals or yogurt.
    For dinner I throw fresh asparagus in the pan with chicken or a pork chop that I cook in a skillet on the stove with water and spray on olive oil. I cover it and eat it Really good and really fast!!
    You can also add veggies and fruit through v-8 drinks.
    Soups are also a good source.
    I also love a baked potato, with nothing but butter spray!!

Mmmmmmmhh...those all sound so SCRUMPTIOUS!!!! I'll have to try them sometime!!!
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the ideas. I just want to stay motivated and not get bored. And i have always had the tendancy to get bored with food cause i ate it to often.
    I have been messing up for 35 years (wasnt overwieght til around age 7) i want to get it right this time.

Thanks again you all rock