am i the only one on god's green earth...

Options

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I "technically" have internet access on my cell phone, but opted for the plan that costs $2/minute if I use the internet, so I never do. I too feel like I'd get pretty addicted, plus wanted to save the money! I also have that addicted personality, so I think it'd be too much to have constant access!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i'm one of the few that refuses to even buy a cell phone! :) i hate them!

I finally got one 3 years ago because my daughter needed to be able to get ahold of me...I work pretty far from home. lol. She got her first one on her 11th bday for Middle School. Most of her friends had them in 2nd grade! UNreal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a QWERTY keyboard, but no data plan, so I don't go online with the phone.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Most of her friends had them in 2nd grade! UNreal.

i know! there were a few kids in my youngest son's kindergarten class that had them. no joke!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    i'm one of the few that refuses to even buy a cell phone! :) i hate them!

Have mine only for rare travel and sooooooo agree on hating them.
    All day long will get calls at work that disconnect or can only make out every few words.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't own a microwave either. lol!

I thought I was the only one!

No microwave here either!!
  • EckcellentRN
    EckcellentRN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a blackberry and dont know how to use all the fancy stuf but its a great phone.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I don't own a microwave either. lol!

I thought I was the only one!

No microwave here either!!

I threw mine out about 6 years ago because 1, it makes me a lazy cook and 2, I don't trust them. Something weird about cooking a whole meal in 5 minutes O.o
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have an iphone and I'm ready to pitch it. So much time wasted on it when I could be out enjoying life. That being said though, I have an amazing miCoach app that I use for running, and I started out with couch 2 5k app, and bridge to 10k which is what got me started on running.
    So maybe a more realistic goal is to not use my phone for facebook, twitter, blah blah ... maybe just the "healthy" apps :P
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have a Juke. It has an mp3 player, but that's it. I'm fine with that, though. I have an iPod touch that I use the MFP app on and it works great.

I'm too cheap to pay for a data plan and a new phone...
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I have the access on my phone, but it's limited and costly and since my lovely employer cut me from full time to part time a year ago, it's a struggle to pay the basic bills, so we don't use the internet option. So nope, you aren't the only one. I prefer to use the computer anyway...:wink:
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have a Blackberry, BUT no data package. Seems weird, I know. I wanted a smart phone to sync my Outlook Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes. I don't care to get email via my phone and don't really need to access the internet 24/7, nor do I want to pay the extra fee for a data package.

Having said that, I so love my iPod Touch and now that Verizon has the iPhone, I'm thinking of breaking down. My current provider (T-Mobile) does not require a data package with a smart phone, but I know that Verizon does.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have just a regular, basic cell phone too. I have unlimited texting though and that's a big enough distraction for me! I would hate to see how distracted I'd be if I actually had internet access... LOL
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have no cell phone, can't "stand" being reachable 24/7, those that need to reach me know how to do so without poking their head in when I'm at dinner or working on a project for client etc.
    I tried using a friends blackberry tonight just to see MFP on it and holy lifting, even scrolled in to increase the text size it'd take me forever to read a post, I'll stick to my nice 21" wide-screen computer monitor thanks.
    Microwave will not be replaced when the current one craps out, which could take a while as I never use the thing
    Home-phone will be replaced by magicjack, $60 ish for 5 years worth of service? with voice-mail, call-display, 3-way calling, call forwarding etc included? Yes please thats what I pay per month for my current home-phone service, if I ditch the home-phone and boost my home internet package up I'm still ahead financially.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I actually didn't have that until about 2 wks ago when I upgraded my phone. My first phone's screen cracked and I wanted to add another line for "emergency" uses at home. I was going to get a plain one BUT all the phones with good cameras have internet now. (My parents are glued to their phones -- yes, I also converted them to texting -- because I send tons of pics of their grandkids every day)

Plus the phone I got has a "genius" key, where if you press it and talk into it it'll call/text anyone without pushing keys. So if I'm having a seizure or I've basically passed out, my daughter can push the button, say "Dial daddy" and it'll call my husband, or "dial help" and 911 will come. The internet comes with this phone, and it's been great as a bonus, but I'd never go out and get it if it wasn't "required" for this phone :-)
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Most of her friends had them in 2nd grade! UNreal.

i know! there were a few kids in my youngest son's kindergarten class that had them. no joke!

my s-i-l said said her 4 year old nephew got his own iphone for christmas....really?!?!?!? I thought it was crazy my 9 year old daughters friend had one. My kids ask all of the time but I think they are a waste of money. My husbands is a must have because he travels but mine is a plain jane cheapo that rarely gets used and like someone else said, it mostly serves as my alarm clock.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hey! I don't have a cell phone either. I used to be the only person I knew who still uses a home phone. Actually I just got the internet back in May 2010, so I'm new to all of this, but I'm not that crazy about cells anyway since I'm practically a hermit.:ohwell:
  • pamelak916
    Options
    LMAO!! Ummmm i go out with you and you clearly see how it feeds into my addiction :)
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    My phone definitely does not have internet access on it. I think it might be capable, but I don't pay for that stuff. Texting is good enough for me for now. I do worry that I would be constantly distracted by Facebook.

My cell phone in the UK I think can go on the internet as well, and as the rates there for browsing seem to be more reasonable, I may get my phone to do that when I'm over there visiting in April so I can be more contactable, lol.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the only reason I do have it is because work pays for my phone. I'm not even sure I'd have a cellphone if it weren't for work.