Any fashion gurus out there?! HELP!

Options
Hello MFPals! I need some women out there (or men) with some great knowledge of stores and how their clothing fit. I am getting so discouraged, because even though I'm losing weight and inches I can't find clothing that fits nicely! Anyone else out there having this same dilemma?

I have an odd body type of a lean lower body with a large chest (DD) so many of the shirts I buy or try on make me look "boxy". I want to show off my waist! Any suggestions or advice?

Thank you!!

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    depending on your size I found great things at the BCBGMaxazria outlet this weekend. I am a DD also and it they fit well.
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    depending on your size I found great things at the BCBGMaxazria outlet this weekend. I am a DD also and it they fit well.

Wow! Thank you! I just looked online and saw that there is one right new my house! My size is M/L or 9/10. Are the clothes slimming?
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Try New York and Company. Their shirts have really nice shape to them and flow really well. They usually have tall sizes too which is a big bonus for me. Also, never pay full price there. Get on their mailing list or friend them on facebook. Everything is pretty much always 30 - 50% off with whatever the current promotion is.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Im a size 16 and I too am a DD but they are fake and they dont fit in any cute tops but then I found cute stuff at Lane Bryant and styles that are in right now. Or if you have a DOTS near you They have sizes from 2-28

I also use to buy dress clothes at KOHLS.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I love BCBG--some of their stuff is a little out there, but alot of it is adorable and really slimming (plus their sizes run large, which always makes you feel good...)
  • sweeteme
    sweeteme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a 16 and Ann Taylor Loft has GREAT fitting pants.
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would suggest wrap-dresses to de-emphasize your chest. Adding wide belts around natural waist to create division would also help a lot. Jackets/blazers can also help. Maybe, wide-leg trousers that are semi-high waisted to help balance out top from bottom. Hope that helps.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I just want to say that I'm jealous! I am thicker around the hips/thighs and if I want any resemblance of a chest in my clothes I have to strap on a giant padded bra! You always want you don't have ho hum....
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Wow! Thank you! I just looked online and saw that there is one right new my house! My size is M/L or 9/10. Are the clothes slimming?

I got 2 dresses that I love and I am a 8/10 and I got them in M.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    Try New York and Company. Their shirts have really nice shape to them and flow really well. They usually have tall sizes too which is a big bonus for me. Also, never pay full price there. Get on their mailing list or friend them on facebook. Everything is pretty much always 30 - 50% off with whatever the current promotion is.

I love New York and Company too, but they still make me "boxy"! It's so discouraging! I just want to find affordable tops to wear in TX hot weather since I have to dress up everyday.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I just want to say that I'm jealous! I am thicker around the hips/thighs and if I want any resemblance of a chest in my clothes I have to strap on a giant padded bra! You always want you don't have ho hum....

I know, so true! I just want to show off my new waist without my chest falling out of shirts! haha. Thank you for the kind words though!
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Modcloth has a lot of great clothes for all kinds of body types. Read the reviews on the dresses though, because quality can either be really great or shoddy.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    Modcloth has a lot of great clothes for all kinds of body types. Read the reviews on the dresses though, because quality can either be really great or shoddy.

I will look this up, thank you!
  • ChunkyMunky241
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I've found that shopping online can help a lot, particularly with shirts. I normally go for Victoria's Secret online for shirts, particularly ones for work--the buttons don't leave gaps on larger-chested women. Also, their sizing is according to your bust size, and that keeps things fitting nicely. They have numerous dresses and casual shirts as well, and not all of them are too youngish/sluttish. They also have major sales and promotions on shipping.
  • cschick2317
    Options
    I dont have a specific store recommendation, but have you thought about getting items tailored? The hosts of what not to wear talk all the time about getting items tailored for women who have a hard time finding things that fit well all over off the rack.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    My favorite store is White House Black Market. Classy, super hot/cute clothes that go from day to night. The sales are awesome. I see that you're in Austin, (me too!) so go to the one at the Domain vs. Barton Creek because it's bigger and their selection is better, including the sale rack. They are having a sale right now, buy one top get one 50% off. There is no boxy-ness in this store. I am 34DD and the tops totally fit in the chest and the waist. These clothes are cut for WOMEN not girls and made of high quality material. Plus, everything is classic and doesn't go out of style, yay! Good luck!
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    My favorite store is White House Black Market. Classy, super hot/cute clothes that go from day to night. The sales are awesome. I see that you're in Austin, (me too!) so go to the one at the Domain vs. Barton Creek because it's bigger and their selection is better, including the sale rack. They are having a sale right now, buy one top get one 50% off. There is no boxy-ness in this store. I am 34DD and the tops totally fit in the chest and the waist. These clothes are cut for WOMEN not girls and made of high quality material. Plus, everything is classic and doesn't go out of style, yay! Good luck!

I will definitely need to check this store out! I like the sound of it already! So you're an Ausinite too!! That's great! Thank you so much :smile: