Losing Weight in Certain Areas

Options
Hello!!

It seems like I'm losing inches on my lower legs and my forearms, but nothing else. I'm sure other people have lost more inches in certain areas than in others. What were those locations and if anyone has any suggestions on how to "jump-start" (I guess that's the term I'm looking for :/) other areas, like my gut lol!!!

i know you can't spot reduce, and I'm starting to walk and bike more, which will take time to show up, I know. Just curious.

Thanks!
Leslie

Replies

• piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that belly fat has a lot to do with diet and the hardest to lose. I started in January and I've lost only 5 inches in the belly. I really wish it would all melt away first!! Just keep going and I'm sure you will see a change.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I just started about 5 weeks ago and it seems like my legs, waist, and stomach have gone down. I have just been dieting and a little bit of exercise. The suit I haven't worn in like 3 years now fits comfortably a little loose. And my dress pants for work are feeling alot looser around the legs and waist. Pretty soon I will need the suit and my whole wardrobe taken in.
  • heidisbeeman
    Options
    One word... PILATES

They really work the core, and the results are so worth the effort. I can't say that about all exercises or routines!!!
  • Shan605
    Options
    Cardio helps with losing inches all over. Ive lost major inches off my hips and waist line since walking at least 3 miles 4-5 days per week.
  • scottcarr_pctech
    Options
    One word... PILATES

They really work the core, and the results are so worth the effort. I can't say that about all exercises or routines!!!

I agree with the above, but I use a fitness ball to get my results. You need muscle to burn fat and if you exercise the core you will burn fat there as well.

4570307.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Thanks all!!

Congrats, jhardenbergh!!! That's a great accomplishment!!!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I first noticed my forearms, the size of my hips and the thickness of my whole torso. I wish I could get my stomach "dunlop" down.
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    there is no such thing as spot reduction.... sadly...... but as a woman, you are designed to gain & hold weight on your tummy, thighs, and butt.... blame that on your ability to bear children ;-)

but on the bright side, with hard work it does eventually go away. It might be the last to go but YOU are capable of doing so!

Good Luck!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30lbs and have barely lost any inches (none on my waist) :( I must be losing the weight in weird places like my fingers! I'm hoping the more exercise I get in that my body will finally give in and get in shape!
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    . i have the same problem . the top of my legs (thickest part) use to be the same size as my waist but now they arre three inches smaller. I just keep dieting and it will even out but i do wish my fat bellly would shrink up a bit
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My thighs are pure evil and refuse to shrink. I lost inches in some place and gained inches in others, and I don't remember where at the moment (I hid the sheet from myself until next month).

I do remember that my biggest loss in inches for my 6 weeks of work and 11LBS lost, was my stomach. It is now 3.5 inches smaller than it was in December. My stomach wasn't even my problem area! arg these thighs, these thighs....

but really, I don't know why the body loses weight in places and not others. I'd love my legs to shrink and I KNOW they will I have to keep working and be patient. An old friend mentioned my face looks thinner and I didn't even realize my face was fat in the first place!
  • chelsea32291
    Options
    My arms and legs seem to be the things that aren't getting smaller!
    I've lost some in my stomach...but mainly random places.

Good luck on your journey! :)
  • theotherkate
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I've always been really happy with my legs the way they are, but now they seem to be the only place I'm losing weight from, so I've still got the gut just with almost too skinny legs. Whenever I do any form of excercises that target my abs I end up hurting my back, so it's impossible to tone my stomach anyway.
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I've always been really happy with my legs the way they are, but now they seem to be the only place I'm losing weight from, so I've still got the gut just with almost too skinny legs. Whenever I do any form of excercises that target my abs I end up hurting my back, so it's impossible to tone my stomach anyway.

Same with me with the back thing! It's my lower back that just kills.
  • BrandyABrown
    Options
    I was in a nasty car accident at 14 that did a number on my back - there are lots of PT exercises for your back that inadvertently work your core. Plus, hanging out on a balance ball while you watch TV instead of the couch, etc etc. Start small - your back will catch up! I don't have problems anymore unless I do something stupid. The reverse cat crunch from 4 Hour Body is a good one, so are some of the major core yoga poses like holding a plank as long as you can and side planks too.

That can be fun too because you just do it as long as you can, and then in a week of doing it every day, see if that time goes up! It will, and you'll be like YES - I AM AWESOME. WATCH OUT ABS, HERE I COME!