Self Tanning Lotions

Options
YogaRunner
YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
I just bought Loreal's Sublime Bronze spray after reading a post on here where someone mentions that they love it. Here is hoping I don't end up looking like a striped Oompa Loompa! I'm so perfectly pale that any streak will really show up! Do any of you use this kind of stuff and how does it work for you? Do you put it on your face too? How can you stand the smell of it??? That's the worst part for me!

Replies

• teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Legs
    Be SURE and exfoliate!!! Also using regular lotion with it seems to work well.
    jac
  • vsangel87
    vsangel87 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried that one before and i liked it...although, i think i like Bare Bronze by Victoria's Secret better. But it's been a while since i've used it...from what i can remember, it worked pretty well. But, as with any self-tanners, the after scent is the same...can't really describe it, but i guess you know what i mean. lol It smells good when you first put it on though! And the good thing about it is that you see where you apply the product because it gives you an instant glow when you put it on. And i think you can put it on your face because one of my friends does and it seems to be working well for her, but i wouldn't recommend it because when you go to wash your face it will come off and it will get all over your towel. I would recommend L'Oreal's Sublime Bronze One Day tinted gel for that...it's a non-self tanner so it'll come off with soap and water. It works pretty well and it smells sooo good! :)
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I think L'Oreal Sublime Glow is better than the bronze stuff. More subtle. And they have fair and medium skin tone lotions. It smells like tea to me - by far the least offensive smelling one I've ever tried, and it looks completely natural. No-one ever asks me if I used a self-tanner! and I'm kinda pale, so I need it to look normal and not orangey! x
  • Hiner001
    Options
    Ive been using a self tanner for years now. Ive tried alot of different brands, and my skin is fair. Being from German/Irish decent, I cannot go outside on a sunny day without sunblock on. Ive also had my share of self tanning blunders but Ill share with you what Ive learned:

1. Exfoliate in the shower: I like to use the exfoliating gloves from Target or Walmart; if you cant find any, use an exfoliating body wash.

2. Dry: Ive found I get less streaks if I towel off and wait 10 mins before lotioning up

3. Depending on the self tanner, wear gloves. I get a box of surgical gloves from the drugstore. Why? Because you dont want orange hands.

4. Make sure you lotion up evenly

5. I like to lotion up before bed, But wait 15 minutes before putting clothes on. I like to sleep in old dark sweat pants so I dont care if they stain.

Other than that, being so fair skinned, you might want to start with a gradual tanner like Jergans. That way, if you miss a spot, it isnt as noticable and you will reapply the next day to correct it. Its mostly trial and error, but do your research and youll be fine! :)
  • Jenn1254
    Jenn1254 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like the Loreal Sublime Bronze lotion. It doesn't smell horrible and looks pretty good as long as you get an even cover. Beware though because it has a lot of glitter in it and will get all over everything you touch until you wash it off.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Love this advice! I heard that the body lotion sinks in better if you put it on wet skin. But I think it makes sense to towel dry and then put on the body lotion followed by self tanning lotion.

I have tried Jergens (lighter version) also and because its so slow and gradual, never had any streaks at all on my olive skin tones.
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    I really like the dove energy glow that gets a teeny bit darker with each application. I agree on everyones advice about exfoliating in the shower and making sure you are dry before applying!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    :happy: I like being ghastly and ghostly
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I will try all of these ideas and hopefully won't be quite so pasty white this summer!