Rinsing canned veggies

Options
I have been going WAY OVER on my sodium from the added sodium in canned veggies. I usually try to eat fresh when possible, but there are times I only have time to open a can of veggies. I know you can get no salt green beans, corn, etc., but what about beans...like black beans or pinto beans? I have never seen canned beans available with no salt. How much do you think it would reduce the sodium if I would rinse the beans? Tonight I am putting a big crock pot of black beans on with NO SODIUM! Still though, for those days I have to use canned veggies, any guess how much sodium is left after rinsing?

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I really can't say, but anything is better than nothing in cutting down on the sodium so I wouldn't say it's too marginal to not do. The added sodium is a reason I buy frozen instead of canned veggies. Something you may want to consider.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Why not package your crockpot beans into freezable containers.

Also, use frozen veggies instead of canned. I don't like canned vegetables, they taste like the tin can. My mom used to home can in glass jars and was yummy......
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know this also. I always rinse beans off.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Recently, at the Institute of Food Technologists Conference, Joshua B. Jones and John R. Mount, both from the department of food science and technology at the University of Tennessee, presented “Sodium Reduction in Canned Bean Varieties by Draining and Rinsing.” Jones and Mount showed that draining and rinsing are effective ways to reduce the sodium content of canned beans. Overall, the draining treatment alone reduced sodium by 36% while the draining-rinsing treatment reduced sodium by 41%. Rinsing beans after they are drained ensures that all residual sodium adhering to the bean’s surface is removed and results in the highest reduction. All brands and all classes of beans tested demonstrated significant reductions in sodium by either draining or draining and rinsing.

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011110p62.shtml

I found this article. That's a pretty drastic difference. I always rinse my beans before putting them in a salad, but I think I will start rinsing more of my canned goods to.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Might not be feasible at the moment - but when you want to make a bean dish in the future, by the bags of beans that have to be soaked - or added time to cooking - I just looked at the ones I have and they range from 15-20 mg per serving. I'm sure that's a lot lower than canned.

Also, rinsing should help and is actually recommended for anytime you are using canned vegetables, not only because of sodium but also to rinse away some of the preservatives, which aren't always good for the body.
  • AnathemaTeatime
    Options
    I make up a giant pot of beans of the weekend often, and freeze. Add veggies and a fat-free sauce and you have lunches for days! (I've been doing an Indian-influenced thing recently, with spinach and peas (frozen), curried tomato sauce, and fat-free feta.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have almost completely switched to frozen veggies, the reduction in sodium content is almost unbelievable. My canned staple however is black beans I love them! Bush's has a lower sodium version of black beans and I always rinse black beans and canned tomatoes. Those are about the only two things I buy in a can anymore, but I would imagine the rinsing reduces the sodium enough to matter. Good luck!
  • kschaal
    kschaal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I rinse my beans always...I rinse everything that won't leak through the sieve, if it's canned! I even rinse my canned tuna fish.

:-)