Applesauce instead of Oil

MegJo
MegJo Posts: 398 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I can't believe I'd never tried this until tonight! I've been told by several people that whenever a recipe calls for vegtable oil to use applesauce (unsweetened) instead. The ratio is 1:1. I tried it tonight on my Grandmothers muffin recipe. I made one batch normally with veggie oil and then one batch with applesauce. Its amazing!!!! They taste the same! The consistancy is just slightly different, the ones with applesauce are a bit more moist, which I certainly don't mind. AND as far as nutrition info goes:

Regular Muffin (1 muffin)
Cal: 174
Fat: 5
Carb: 24
Protein: 3

Applesauce version (1 muffin)
Cal: 118
Fat: 1
Carb: 25
Protein: 3

I have a friend who says she uses this in ALL of her baking, brownies, cakes etc.... I can't wait to throw out the oil!!! WOOOHOO!!!

Anyone else have good substitutes?

Replies

• Use Fage greek yogurt in place of sour cream, loads of protien and alot less calories and fat :-)
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    I use applesauce all the time whenever it calls for butter or oil. Plain yogurt for sourcream or mayo and almost always use fat free cheese, including cream cheese.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I've used pureed bananas instead of oil in a brownie recipe before. They turned out really good. :)
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Thank you for sharing.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    you should check out the Hungry Girl books (she might have a website as well). her "thing" is making low calorie swaps for higher calorie ingredients. i know she uses pumpkin puree in place of oil. i bet she has other ideas you might have luck with.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    I've always heard of subbing out something and adding applesauce but never knew what to take out and what the ratio was. Thanks for posting!!!!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    i used it in brownies last night and they were awesome!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    I love this tip thank you for posting! I definately will try it out...I hope my husband doesn't notice the difference he is a VERY picky eater :wink:
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    I like to use fresh salsa instead of mayo on sandwiches. 2tbsp=5cal can't beat that. Also, mix Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Fresh Salsa 1:1 and it tases almost exactly like Salsa con Queso. but no cheese and really low cal.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Do this all the time (sub zucchini for some of the oil in cakes, etc).

Another good one for applesauce is to sub it for oil in waffles. Yum!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Thanks for the responses! Great ideas! I have used Hungry Girl recipes before - they're great.

I love the yogurt idea as well as the salsa!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    You can also substitute ground flax seed mixed with water for oil. I believe the ratio of water to flax seed is 2:1, so if you need 1 T oil, you'd use 1 tsp. ground flax plus 2 tsp. H20. I've used it in pancakes and cookies and it works great! The bonus is that flax adds omega-3 which is heart healthy!
  • starrider4
    starrider4 Posts: 4 Member
    I've had some luck subbing 1/2 protein powder in place of flour in muffins!
This discussion has been closed.