Balancing calories/carbs/fat/protein

Options
I am new here and have noticed a problem I am having. First off, I am a self-admitted carb addict. First day or two I struggled to meet my protein goal. Then there was a day or two I met my protein goal, but not carbs. I am having difficulty hitting my goals on all fronts, not just 1 or 2. I will have 200 calories left, but no carbs, fat or protein. What do I do?

So if I am going to be over/under, which goal should I overlook first? Should I always make sure I get calories in even if i have to go over on carbs? Do I make sure that I always have my protein goal, but not meet another one? Hope I am making sense. Any tips would be appreciated!!

Andrea

Replies

• reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I have no tips...but am in the same predicament! I THOUGHT I was a carb addict until I started tracking and found out I am always way over on protein. Today.....I have 115 calories left...but am over on carbs and protein and still need 19 grams of fat. What kind of food is left???I hope someone gives you a great answer....I could use it too!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Of the three, protein is the best one to go over. MFP sets the protein goal very low (15%). A lot of people change it manually so that it's much higher. I've got mine set for 35%. You can very safely double the protein goal.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would look at the protein goal as an absolute minimum, and the fat and carb goals as a maximum. So if you're going to go over on anything, try to go over on protein.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Great question!
    SInce I just started I have to make sure I can handle the calories per day, right now I'm focusing on that. I'm still aware of the other things but not looking super close. I try to watch my intake of sodium, fat and sugar and opt for their healthy counterparts!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    If you focus on protein rather then carbs you will be doing yourself a favor. You can be under on calories as long as you're not eating less than 50% of your maintenance calories for a prolonged time.
  • Knbrooks42
    Knbrooks42 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    -"Naturally More" peanut butter is good for the fat.
    -And there are Omega Fish Oil pills that are 10 calories and only 1g of fat for when you need more fats.

-For the carb-lovers - there's actually bread you can make with soy flour that is pretty much "protein bread." It's not too bad actually. If you want a recipe just message me.
    -There's also two types of cereal I have found: Special K protein plus and Kashi Go Lean.
    -Pure Protein bars are also good for more protein and less carbs.
    I'm not a huge fan of eating tons of meat all day long, so I've found these food items very helpful in meeting my protein goal.

As for upping your protein, carl1738 is right, you can up it pretty high. I think mines at 40-45% or something crazy.

I have been in the same situation too with the running out of fats, carbs, and protein. That's why myfitnesspal is so useful because you can plan the whole day out and adjust stuff to make everything work well. Also, sugarfree jello packs are 10 calories and only 1g of protein. I have eaten a few a those in a day just to get calories in.

Hope this info helps :D
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Of the three, protein is the best one to go over. MFP sets the protein goal very low (15%). A lot of people change it manually so that it's much higher. I've got mine set for 35%. You can very safely double the protein goal.

I agree with that -- I lost of most of my weight before using MFP and had a diet high in protein. Much higher than the recommended amount. From what I've read, protein has a very high TID (Thermogenesis Induced by Diet). Which means that the body has to use energy to digest and absorb nutrients.

As far as carbs I would make sure that you are getting them from good sources. I have referenced the Glycemic index but that's a bit controversial to some people.
  • emviamama
    emviamama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all! I think From now on I will try to follow the suggestion of using my protein goal as a minimum (if needed) and my carb/fat goal as a maximum (if needed). I bet if I went and looked at my averages for a couple of days, I would see that it kind of equals itself out. Over on carbs one day, short the next. My goal calories are 1200. Sometimes I only get 1000, so I would like to stay inside of 200 calories either way. Obviously this isn't an exact science, all I can do is use MFP as a guideline and do my best!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My go to protein source is greek yogurt. 1 cup adds 15-20 grams of protein for about 110 calories.

I have it at the end of the day if I need a snack/dessert or have it for breakfast with fruit and nuts.
  • DirtyMarc
    Options
    Simple! Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Fat and calories without adding carbs and protein.
  • starrider4
    starrider4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'd have to agree around upping protein-unless you lift weights then I would be upping the complex carbs just ater a workout. Do you mind if I ask what yu currently weigh that your calorie goals are so low(1200???) I'm not trying to be rude it just concerns me when people try to function on too little they will inadvertantly lose muscle mass and this lowers your metabolic rate further-unles of course you are quite small already.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this same stuff too! Since joining MFP I have been able to adjust my cals, carbs, and fats, and I was going over on protein regularly and I was actually worrying a little. I think I will manually adjust mine as soon as I figure out how! Thanks for posting the question and for all the responses!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    there really is no one answer to this question. it all depends on what you do, where you live, how much strength training you do. if you live in a fairly cold climate, or work outside, or in a overly conditioned office building, a little extra fat in your diet may be beneficial for heat production. on the other hand if you have a fairly active lifestyle, you go running or swimming on a regular basis, or as in my case you work in a restaurant, more carbs are a nasality just to give you the energy needed. if you do any kind of intensive conditioning, or weight training, or work a labor job, protein is key the more you exert your muscles the more protein you need to rebuild them.

in the end you just have to experiment and figure out what works best for your body and your lifestyle. the number one rule if it works for you, it works for you. everybody is different and there are too many variables.