Oatmeal Eaters

Options
This morning for breakfast I tried Irish Oatmeal which i absolutely loved but eating the 1 cup serving (after cooking) was not enough. I added 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and cinnamon. Do you make the 1/4 cup serving or more? I also ate a small banana but still felt pretty cheated.

Replies

• YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but I stay away because the carbs freak me out. I found some Gluten free, and it's in the cupboard, but everytime I got to try it, I look at the nutrional info. and put it back!

The one time I did have it, it was very good, but I did not feel full on one serving. I ended up eating something else, and then decided I would have been satisfied with just the something else. However, I understand oatmeal in the a.m. is a great way to start the day --- just saw a commercial with Biggest Loser Bob, and he said so! ;)

Lucy
  • cstibbe
    cstibbe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Every morning I cook a cup oatmeal, with just water mixed in, and I usually put in a tablespoon of peanut butter as well. If I don't go with the pb I cook it with a half cup of frozen blueberries. I can't just eat a bowl of oatmeal either, even though it comes out to be like 400 cals with the peanut butte,r so I have an apple or yogurt with it as well.

Instead of the brown sugar and cinnamon you should try it with peanut butter, or chopped nuts, I find it does the trick for me! I don't know if you cook your oatmeal with water, but if not, you could try cooking with milk or soymilk too.
  • just4laughs
    Options
    I load thawed friut, flax seed, and honey in to a 3/4 cup serving, and that will fill me up.....usually, but if I'm still hungrey I'll take down a banana or a green pepper.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have bran and or psyllium fibre around that I'll sometimes add to my oatmeal to bulk it up even more if I have to hit the road first thing in the morning, makes it easy to skip the snacks at the refueling stop.

I do use cinnamon sometimes, vanilla, stevia, frozen berries, banana, chopped apple, just something to change it up taste wise so it's not "same ol' same ol' " day after day.
  • briarashley
    Options
    quinoa fills me up more than oatmeal because it has protein in it. its gluten free too and makes me feel full but not sluggish like oatmeal does. its way better for you
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Three years ago when I was dieting I ate a bowl of Quakers Weight Control Oatmeal in the Banana Nut flavor. On it's own I didn't get enough banana flavor so I would cut up a banana in it as well. At the time I always drank 2 glasses of water first thing in the morning and I also drank a glass of milk with my breakfast for a serving of dairy. All the fluids helped to keep me full with the oatmeal. I've read in a magazine that oatmeal first thing in the morning is very good for you!
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa and eat it alot but it doesn't appeal to me for breakfast. Probably because I add garlic too it and that's the flavor I like when I think of quinoa.
  • briarashley
    Options
    I like quinoa and eat it alot but it doesn't appeal to me for breakfast. Probably because I add garlic too it and that's the flavor I like when I think of quinoa.

it sooooo good with roasted veges and sweet chilli sauce! try it in the morning milk and honey its quite good :)
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking of adding more water because the oatmeal was a little thicker than I normally prefer. Maybe adding the extra water would make the serving seem larger. I love pb but rarely eat it because I am only allowed 1200 calories/day and it is so high in calories. If I exercise and have a bunch left over I will usually eat peanut butter then.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup of Quaker oats with 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup milk and then a tsp of Agave. Then I scramble an egg and have a giant handful of spinach or spring mix or whatever other green I have on hand. Either 1/4 cup of black beans or lentils rounds it out and I always have a fresh squeezed glass of 1 grapefruit.

Breakfast, every day :)
  • Jaynequ
    Options
    I have a third of a cup of oats every morning made with 1 cup of water, a spoonful of bran, some cinnamon and a bit of sweeterner. I then have a piece of fruit. I have another piece of fruit mid morning, and that keeps me going till lunch. I have a glass of water and a cup of instant coffee at breakfast.

That seems to be enough even though I always do my exercise in the morning, swimming or tennis.
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    I have 30g oatmeal with sweetener early morning. It keeps me going until lunch :-)
  • mrssparkle
    Options
    I have Old Fashioned Scotts Porridge Oats or Quaker Oats every morning. Made with 30g OAts to 300g semi skimmed milk. If is too thick then I add water. Have it with nothing else except a glass of water before, one with it and one after. It keeps me full until lunch time.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Try Quaker instant oats (one sachet) made with skim milk, add 1 tsp of chopped mixed nuts (nuts keep you full), 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 0.5 tsp of honey. 250cal and will keep you full for hours (it does me). oh, I usually have half a glass of grapefruit juice before I eat my porridge. Love it! Have it every day! :love:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with full fat milk- 180mls, and one teaspoon of sugar, the calories are still low (226 a bowl) but it really fills me up and the creamyness makes it feel like your eating something naughty even though its fairly healthy! You can even add 8 or so dark chocolltae chips for only a handful of calories more, and then it feels like eating desert for breakfast!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I eat 30- 40g rolled oats with water (I guess at amount now) and often have it thinner than the packet instructions would have it. It goes further that way with no more calories! Plus 1.5 teaspoons of honey. I LOVE adding blueberries, but don't often have them.

It's super low calorie as far as breakfasts go, so there would be no harm in then having a snack before lunch if you were hungry
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/3 cup of regular oats -- not quick or instant - -with 1/2 banana whipped in. I top that with berries, nuts, coconut, apples, etc,etc. It's really filling.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    My trick for oatmeal is to double the liquid and double the cooking time. It makes a HUGE bowl of oatmeal for the same calories as a single serving! I also usually slice up a banana and put a ton of cinnamon on it.
  • Tvstarbabe
    Options
    I love Oatmeal! I have Quaker Instant Oatmeal: Maple and Brown Sugar. I make mine with water. It usually keeps me full until lunch at about 12:30. However if I do eat a snack its a fruit. The oatmeal is very filling!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is going to be a way more satisfying meal if you stay away from the instant stuff. Try just 1 serving of regular oats, and add lots and lots of toppings.

Protein boosters: nut butter, chopped nuts, milk, yogurt, seeds, cottage cheese, etc.

Sweeteners: sliced fresh fruit, frozen berries, honey, jam, coconut, applesauce, chocolate chips, cinnamon sugar, pumpkin pie spice, etc.

I experiment a lot with flavoring my oatmeal, but I always make sure to add a protein, fruit, and some flavor. Some good combos are strawberries/blueberries/yogurt/sliced almonds, and sliced banana/peanut butter/ milk.

I have to agree with the others, I find stirring peanut butter into oats makes it especially filling!