how do i prepare for a run

Options
i'm a beginner at running and i ran/brisk-walked my first 4K yesterday.

i was horrified at how i was feeling a few hours after the run.

why do my “butt cheeks” hurt so much?

why did i get so hungry that my flesh quivered?

why did the hunger not go away even after stuffing myself at breakfast and lunch?

IT WAS ONLY 4K FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

and i had coffee and an empanada at 4am [the run was at 6am]

and i warmed up with a ten minute brisk walk.

and i did the requisite stretching prior to actually running.

and i had a banana and an energy bar post-run.

what did i do wrong? i must have done something wrong.

if all runs end like this i will GAIN and not lose weight. and i’d hate to have to give it up.

i love to run. the idea of it, actually doing it, and the rush i get as i espy the finish line.

i'm asking experienced runners out there. please help me solve this problem. please?

i’d be so grateful,

Chiara

Replies

• aschultz9
    Options
    Running actually helps squelch my appetite, I'm much more hungry on days I don't run. I do get hungry after a long run (10+miles ), but I often notice that the next day. It is easy to fall into thinking you " need" to eat because you ran and overeat. I would have had the banana prior to the run, and ditched the energy bar altogether. Make sure you are eating nutritional protein/carbs both before and after (all the time really). Otherwise, I'm not sure?
    I would recommend stretching after you run, not necessarily before. But, that shouldn't impact your hunger.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I wasn't watching what I ate when I first started running, but I had a few false starts where I would get all motivated and then stop after a couple of runs because it was "too hard". I'm not sure what you usually eat/how much, but maybe you're not eating the right types of foods to keep you full? If I run in the morning I have something like a banana or a muesli bar an hour prior, then once I get home have a big bowl of high fibre cereal with berries. Yum! Also, as soon as I finish my run, I guzzle whatever water bottle I brought with me (usually a 750ml-1 litre one :noway: ) and that makes me full (and a little sloshy :laugh: )

Also, whenever anything hurts, remember that it's because you worked those muscles and they are rebuilding themselves stronger and leaner! My legs HURT after I started doing squats. It passes and now I have sexier legs! :D

And the running gets easier. When I started I could barely run for a minute. I'm now doing a mix of run 5mins, walk 1 min, run 7mins, walk 1.3min. Repeat for 45mins. Just build up slowly.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I usually eat a piece of fruit and peanut butter on a cracker before. Then I eat a carb and a protein after. It will take a few times for you to figure out what works best for you. You can't eat a big meal before a run or it'll cause your stomach to cramp. If you don't eat at all, your muscles become fatigued and you can't finish.
    Stick with it and try different things. You can do this!
  • cami78
    cami78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Chiara!

I understand perfectly what you going through as I have done a 45min run yesterday and my legs were on fire this morning. Sometimes a glass of water might help with this false hunger. If you are getting the right nutrients you will not put on weight so please don't give it up! It will take a while until you will get use to the regime and remember always listen to your body. Good luck with your journey!
  • cami78
    cami78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ok here are a few thoughts that might be helpful.....

Be sure to be well hydrated before your run. that means drinking well in advance (not right before you set out). Also be sure to drink upon your return!

It's great you stretched before your run and stretching after is equally important. It can help with the muscle soreness. Having said that the pain in your glutes is a good thing! It shows you are using those muscles. Take a rest day and do upper body work or stretching before you run again to let your muscles recover.

Eat a high carb low fat snack (cereal? Fruit?) a while before your run and something high protein after. Then wait a while to eat and do your hydrating.

I don't usually feel really hungry right after a run but later in the day I do. Your body is adjusting to the new activity level so things will even out. Having said that simple carbs do lead to cravings for me. Whole grains, low fat, low sugar, and high protein help to reduce cravings.

It's not the running per se that's making you hungry I think, it's your body adjusting to more activity and sending confused signals. Do a meal plan, eat your exercise calories, hydrate well, and find ways to fill up on healthy snacks (veggies, plain yogurt with fruit) and you will be feeling better about your running soon I hope!!!

I totally agree with you :)
  • befitcoachuk
    befitcoachuk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would agree that you need to start slowly and build up. Did you run for the entire 4K? or was some of it walking? How tired were you at the end - did you push yourself too hard?

If I do an early morning run (or circuit session) I don't generally eat before, but if I do then it is only a small amount - actually from a fat loss point of view that is 'meant' to be better for you as you don't have the natural reserves of energy that you would store up from eating if you train first thing in the day before eating, which means you burn more of calories from fat. This can make the session feel harder though as metabolising fat for energy is harder than from other energy reserves. I am not advocating that you should not eat before running - this is a person choice and is just my preference. Generally speaking though it is not advisable to eat within 90 minutes of starting a hard workout.

So other than starting out slowly, my main advice would be to make sure that you drink plenty of water before, during and after. Your body may actually be thirsty and you are misinterpreting that as hunger. I have often heard the suggestion that when you feel hungry you should try drinking first as it may not be hunger after all (it is not always obvious what your body needs).

On the warm-up and stretching points, I would agree that a warm-up walk is a good idea to get your body ready for the exercise ahead but would suggest that you do not need the stretching before you start. Your muscles will not be fully warmed up at the start of your training session and as such are easier to damage. You ABSOLUTELY must stretch after you stop running though - and never 'bounce' the stretches they should be static stretches where you hold the stretch for a reasonable period of time for each muscle group. Don't rush them - you will suffer for this (I know from experiences). Ensure that you stretch out the main muscle groups in the legs (calf, hamstring, quad, adductor, abductor and glutes) but also fit in some core stretching - it is amazing how much you use your core during a run. Finish with some upper body stretches as you may find that you hold you upper body (particularly your shoulders) too rigidly (I find this more of a problem when I have been for a hard run).

Finally, always ensure that you run within your limits - the easiest way to ensure you do this is to use the 'conversation' technique. Can you still hold a conversation while you are out running? Unless you are in a race and really pushing yourself in the final stages you should be able to hold a conversation all the way through your run - if you can't (because of your breathing and not just because you have run out of things to say) then you are probably pushing yourself too hard.

Stick at it, running is a fantastic way of burning calories and a great way to see the great ourdoors (I don't like running on a treadmill as I prefer to be out in the fresh air). Have fun :smile:

Barrie
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The reason your butt cheeks hurt is probably because you have weak glutes. They will strengthen in time.

The legs quivering is also a sign of lack of strength probably because you're new to high impact cardio. The impact of running takes some getting used to. Or maybe you've run it too hard for your current level of ability and build a load of lactic in your legs as a consequence. In which case just run more slowly next time.

Try running at differen times of the day, with different levels of fuelling. When I do a fasted run in the morning before breakfast I can come back and feel like I'm starving. You could try running in the evening having had breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack and see how you feel after that.
  • chiarajulieann
    Options
    thank you so much for the great advice. now i have an idea as to where i did wrong and the things i can improve on on my next run.

i am so grateful for all your tips and words of wisdom and it warms my heart that here at MFP, many people are always present to lend a helping hand.

thank you so very much once again!

love,
    Chiara