Hi Everyone...I'm a newbie!

Options
Yes I'm a newbie at MFP. I have done quite a few diets in the past and really nothing has worked for me. In 2008 I was diagnosed with a overactive thyroid which is graves disease. I lost 50lbs within 2 months and unfortunely I did not feel good at all and my appetite was up and down. The weight stayed off for approx a year and October 2009 i started ballooning out of control from 170-239. In these past few months I have learned so much about myself and but I still could not nip the eating in the bud. Now I am hypothyroidism. I heard horror stories that it is sooo hard to lose weight because of your metabolism is slow. So I said to myself how about trying calorie counting. So I gave it a try. I started last week and weighed in at 239 and I am as of today 232. So of course a smile and a little dance came upon me; yeah I can do this. I couldn't believe how many calories we consume in one day no wonder we can't loose weight. Now my husband is doing this with me and really we get a kick out of finding out what to eat and reading labels. MFP is a great tool and I love going on it and documenting what I eat. I'm getting ready to start jumping rope and in March I will be getting a Wii for my birthday. I hate hate hate exercising but I know I have to do it so that's why i am starting very lite and working my way up. I wish everyone success with whatever your program and keep on keeping on.

Rita :wink:

Replies

• sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start!! I think the smartest thing you did is to start off slow!!! As you go along you will find there are many things you can do to increase your fitness, substitute a food, add vitamins and minerals etc. I you try to do all of these changes at once it becomes overwhelming. May I suggest that if you like to dance you add a song for every pound you drop. I find myself dancing in the kitchen when I am putting away dishes! It's just another way to sneak in exercise for someone who really isn't in to it!!!
    Good Luck! and keep me updated! I have about 40 pounds to lose!
    Marylee
    Oh and send me a friend request if you like!!!!
  • krwtvl02
    krwtvl02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sunshine4me. :happy:
  • sandyfx
    Options
    I'm new too! Just started last week counting calories. It does help to see it in black and white and helps me to not "cheat". I can say no to this or that because I know I'll have to write it down. I think I'm also learning that it's not the end of the world if I don't hit my goal exactly. I have not weighed myself again, I'm waiting until Thursday when it's been exactly one week.

Good luck and maybe we can give each other encouragement. If I can figure out how to do this I'll send you a friend request.