feeling blue today

Options
I started my journey here just over 3 months ago. Since then I have had major success and lost 54 lbs. I did all of this at home with no gym, etc. Hitting the 140's was so big for me I felt great.

So I decided I went as far as I could at home and joined a gym last weekend. I went to the gym 3 times last week and also worked out at home. I even worked with a personal trainer yesterday that kicked my bootie. I can barely move today.

I have not cheated on my diet. I log EVERYTHING that goes into my body. (My hubby says I am obsessed with logging my food.)

So this morning I weigh in expecting a pretty good loss since I really stepped it up this week and worked so hard.

I GAINED 2.5 lbs? How is this possible? I actually cried. I am now 10 lbs away from my goal.

You work so hard to take off those lbs, eat right, exercise, drink so much water you cant stay out of the bathroom and to get a gain is sooooo discouraging.

Replies

• Peanutmanda
    Options
    Im with you! I've gained 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks, and havn't cheated, not even once!

Everyones going to say its muscle, or TOM.. either way.. IT SUCKS!

Hang in there!
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I started my journey here just over 3 months ago. Since then I have had major success and lost 54 lbs. I did all of this at home with no gym, etc. Hitting the 140's was so big for me I felt great.

So I decided I went as far as I could at home and joined a gym last weekend. I went to the gym 3 times last week and also worked out at home. I even worked with a personal trainer yesterday that kicked my bootie. I can barely move today.

I have not cheated on my diet. I log EVERYTHING that goes into my body. (My hubby says I am obsessed with logging my food.)

So this morning I weigh in expecting a pretty good loss since I really stepped it up this week and worked so hard.

I GAINED 2.5 lbs? How is this possible? I actually cried. I am now 10 lbs away from my goal.

You work so hard to take off those lbs, eat right, exercise, drink so much water you cant stay out of the bathroom and to get a gain is sooooo discouraging.

Dont be discouraged. Your muscles could be retaining water from the added gym workouts, also, you could have gained some muscle.

weight fluctuates. You'll be fine, just stay active :D
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle? Especially if you have joined a gym and used a trainer. Try not to feel too down about it. Take a look in the mirror. Do you look different? Are you happy with the changes? That's what you really need to focus on, not what the scale says.

It could also be a fluke weigh in. Is it getting close to your TOM? Sometimes that makes you retain water and gain weight. I have had weeks like that, where I just got so disheartened. In the past I would go and stuff my face, thinking what was the point anyway since I wasn't losing weight? Now, I try and just tell myself "okay, today was a bad day, but tomorrow will better and I have another week to burn off this weight that I've gained."

I hope this helps. You are not alone, most definately not alone, especially here on MFP. We're all doing this together, going through the ups and downs. You sound like you have done an amazing job, to lose all that weight, especially at home. I think you should really be proud of yourself and try not to get too down about one little upset. :)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? how do your clothes feel? Its more than likely muscle and your body adjusting to your new fitness program.

Hang in there, just dont give up because you will start seeing a difference on the scales. And once you build up more muscle it will become much easier for you to burn fat. :o)
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I have been working my behind off at the gym the past two weeks,and I have also "gained" 2.5 lbs. For now Im going to chalk it up to be muscle,because I feel so much better and I look better. My clothes are starting to fit me nicely. Sometime you have to ignore the number on the scale and look in the mirror instead
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are sore and have fluid around them to heal them.
  • kateslife
    Options
    I agree, it could be muscle. Muscle weighs more than mass(:
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Awwe the same darn thing happened to me this weekend! I busted butt all week, working out twice a day eating and logging healthy foods and come saturday morning expecting a huge weight loss. NOPE!! gained 2 friggin pounds and i started crying. I felt like an *kitten* because my husband brought me breakfast in bed and I was so upset i could barely eat it.

I went to the gym right away with sweat pants and sweat shirt on and sweat out those two pounds in thirty minutes..

Just retaining water : ) sometimes our bodies do that, if its TOM or for me checked back on my food log and saw i'd had way too much sodium for the week..

keep your head up, you've lost SO much weight already. Look at how your clothes are fitting, measure yourself to see the inches lost.. you'll pull through:wink: