Feeling faint after workout....

Options
This morning after my workout I felt like I was going to pass out. I have never had this feeling before. I did 45 mins on the cybex arc and then I sat in the sauna for about 10 mins doing some stretches. I did work out pretty hard on the cybex but not anything that I don't normally do, I drank a bottle of water while working out to stay hydrated. It didn't hit me until I was in the shower drying off then I felt so bad I had to sit down. Any ideas??

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    bump

This has happened to me occasionally, although not in a long time. I'm curious to see whether anyone else knows anything about it.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    May have been the sauna,if your not hydrated enough and then sit in a sauna and sweat your loosing alot of electrolites.maybe more waterbefore the sauna:drinker:
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your blood sugar was low?
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would think it's the sauna -- I always feel woozy afterwards. Also -- did you eat before you worked out? I always have a snack (about 150 to 200 calories) before I exercise, with protein and carbs. Then I eat about 200 to 300 afterwards, again with protein and carbs.

Hope you feel better.
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I get this reasonably often, usually down to not eating enough in the morning before my workout, a protein/energy bar before the workout may be helpful - 200 cals approx.
  • utah_angel1971
    Options
    i think it was too much heat, good work out and then the sauna.....definately need to hydrate. Also could be low blood sugar. I would recommend a small bit of protein about 45 min before you work out and then something, rather it be a small bit of cheese, sliced turkey, anything like that after you work out
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It could be several things, but I'm inclined to think you are dehydrated. If you are working out pretty hard over the course of a week, I would drink a G2 or Powerade or something along that line on a daily basis. They really do work better than plain water for people who work out hard. Also, drink a lot of water throughout the day, not just a bottle during your workout. Adding the sauna, even for 10 minutes, is taking away additional water from your system.

If you continue to have issues, you might want to get your heart checked. A lot of people have irregular heart beats - caused by many, many different things (it's amazing how many different electrical issues there are with the heart) - that can cause dizziness. I have 5 family members, all with different heart electrical issues; they have dizzy spells & all have been told to make sure they stay adequately hydrated.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I know that too low calorie intake (even if has been just a little over a long period of time), not enough water (did you eat anything high-sodium the day before?), a rapid temperature change, a rushing blood flow (did you bend over when your heart rate was still up?), and shallow breathing can all lead to feeling faint.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    did you eat before your workout? If not you may want to eat something small fist. You may have also overheated due to exercise and the sauna
  • DJmom44
    Options
    I agree that it was probably low blood sugar. It's happened to me before when I didn't eat enough before my workout.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am thinking it was low blood sugar! My workout was at 6:00 am so I hadn't eaten anything...... I normally do but I forgot to grab something on my way out the door today!
  • CyberDr
    Options
    Post workout dizziness can be a result of numerous causes, some of which have already been mentioned. Dehydration, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and electrolyte imbalance are all worthy of consideration. Dehydration can be aggravated by rapid position changes such as getting up quickly from a lying position. This is usually short lived and corrected with fluids. The effects of hypoglycemia can be longer lasting, usually resolving quickly after consuming something sweet (orange juice) and often results from not eating prior to an energetic workout. Early morning workouts before breakfast are notorious for this. No caloric intake since dinner leads to low glucose reserves leading to hypoglycemia. Electrolyte disturbances usually cause dizziness indirectly. Low potassium for example can result in heart rhythm abnormalities producing symptoms of heart palpitations, feeling like your heart is pounding out of your chest, and excessive shortness of breath or chest pain to name a few. Dehydration can also result in abnormal heart rhythms. There are numerous causes for your symptoms and this community, no matter how intelligent, will never be able to give you an accurate assessment of your problem. The bottom line is if you haven't been to a doctor in a while it may be time to get a check up. If you elect to take the wait and see approach, certainly If it happens again, after you take appropriate measures to correct the problem such as eating before a workout and drinking in fluids well in advance of your workout, there should be no doubt that you need to visit your doctor.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    electrolytes --- was happening to me too. I now put one NUUN tablet in my water bottle to replace electrolytes, been great ever since.