Healthy Food vs. Bad Food

Options
I was wondering for a while now if it is a good idea to start such a thread, considering how debatable things are (some say soy is good, for instance, and some say: no, no, no). I also hope this has not been done before, but if so, a pointer to the existing thread is very welcome.

Sooo... here's what. I suggest we start a list of things which are healthy (in capitals) and one of things which we should stay away from (small letters). Try not to repeat things already said, but feel free to question something, if you find it in someone's "healthy" list, but you find it unhealthy (some would say sweeteners are good, to me for instance they are poison). Pointers to websites or articles online are welcome (as long as Mike's not against them).

Replies

• dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was wondering for a while now if it is a good idea to start such a thread, considering how debatable things are (some say soy is good, for instance, and some say: no, no, no). I also hope this has not been done before, but if so, a pointer to the existing thread is very welcome.

Sooo... here's what. I suggest we start a list of things which are healthy (in capitals) and one of things which we should stay away from (small letters). Try not to repeat things already said, but feel free to question something, if you find it in someone's "healthy" list, but you find it unhealthy (some would say sweeteners are good, to me for instance they are poison). Pointers to websites or articles online are welcome (as long as Mike's not against them).
  • dewpearl
    Options
    HEALTHY

VEGETABLES (STEAMED)
    FRESH FRUIT
    WHOLE WEAT
    BROWN RICE
    BEANS
    HALF SKIMMED/LOW FAT MILK
    YOGURT, PLAIN, LOW FAT
    OLIVE OIL
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    All fruits and veg (raw is better then cooked for most)
    whole wheat and whole grains (brown rice, bulgar, quinoa etc.)
    legumes (beans, lentils etc)
    low fat dairy
    lean cuts of poultry and meat
    lots of water

Most of these things fill you up more then their unhealthy alternatives. You can eat more for the same calories. Google "Volumetrics" for the theory.
  • dewpearl
    Options
    Right, Melly, I know - my worries started when I realized that the ham I used to have in the morning (2% fat, so lean and low calories and all) might count as "processed meat". Since I don't quite know the answer to that and I have "moderation" as guiding principle, I was wondering how you people feel about this.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    In general...

HEALTHY

~Whole grains (this includes breads, cereals, oatmeal, etc. 100% whole wheat or whole grain, no white flour at all)
    ~Whole fruits
    ~Whole veggies
    ~Organic skim dairy (then there are no added hormones)
    ~Lean Meats (fish, chicken, turkey, lean ham, lean beef 95% or higher, bison meat, some seafood)... free range or organic is better to avoid any chemicals/hormones that may be added
    ~Beans/legumes
    ~Chicken or Vegetable Broth based all natural soups
    ~Soy products (soy milk, soy cheese, etc.)
    ~WATER! :)

NO SO HEALTHY

~Anything that is overly process (meaning, if there are ingredients that you have no clue what they are, and the ingredients list is HUGE, then you'll want to avoid it!)
    ~Anything with an abundance of sugar (or HFCS)
    ~Anything with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils in it (trans fat)
    ~Products with an abundance of artificial sweetners
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Healthy: (some are repeats)
    Veggies
    Fruites
    Whole grain
    Dairy (yogurt, 2% or lower milk)
    chicken
    High fiber cereals ( love me some Fiber One Honey Clusters)
    Eggs (eat at least one whole egg a day(
    Oatmeal

Unhealthy:
    Breaded foods
    Fried Foods
    Dressings and oils
    high sugar sweets (cheesecake, brownies, cake, cookies, yum, i'm hungry!!)
    my white chocolate mocha that I allowed on my cheat day
    Pizza/hot pockets
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite thoughts on this is from Michael Pollan - he says if it has a health claim on it, it's probably not good for you:laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    HEALTHY: LETTUCE

not healthy: the lettuce on my Big Mac :laugh:

HEALTHY: MUSHROOMS

not healthy: eating an entire mushroom pizza :laugh:

HEALTHY: dairy products, in general

not healthy: cookies n cream ice cream, smothered in chocolate syrup, covered with chocolate sprinkles (this does NOT count as dairy, lol :mad: ) :laugh:
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lauren has it exactly right. Thanks for the laugh.....I needed it today!

Sorry Lauryn. I hate it when people spell my name wrong so I shouldn't do it to others.
  • seebee
    Options
    I eat full-fat dairy (whole milk, yogurt, cheese), as well as butter - just in reasonable amounts, and without added sugar (i.e. no sugar in my yogurt.) I read that the fat aids in calcium absorption (a real issue at my age.) So personally I consider whole dairy products to be healthy.