It takes 25 minutes to feel full

Options
In one of those posts that keeps getting bumped up for newbies, it mentions that it takes about 25 minutes for your brain to signal to your stomach that you are full. The suggestion in the article is to eat half your meal, drink some water, wait about 20 min. and see if you are still hungry. Most of the time you won't be and you can put the other half of your meal away to eat a couple hours later. I've been eating like this since I read the article and it really works. Sometimes it is hard if you are really hungry (you aren't supposed to let your self get really hungry - "don't ever be very hungry or very full") and/or the food is really good. Most of the time however, with a little will power, I can feel after 20 mins that I actually am satisfied. This is a great way to stretch out your food and eat small amounts throughout the day which is good for your metabolism.

Replies

• Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    In one of those posts that keeps getting bumped up for newbies, it mentions that it takes about 25 minutes for your brain to signal to your stomach that you are full. The suggestion in the article is to eat half your meal, drink some water, wait about 20 min. and see if you are still hungry. Most of the time you won't be and you can put the other half of your meal away to eat a couple hours later. I've been eating like this since I read the article and it really works. Sometimes it is hard if you are really hungry (you aren't supposed to let your self get really hungry - "don't ever be very hungry or very full") and/or the food is really good. Most of the time however, with a little will power, I can feel after 20 mins that I actually am satisfied. This is a great way to stretch out your food and eat small amounts throughout the day which is good for your metabolism.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I can fully appreciate what you are saying Mely, and I agree, some people just need to use that tool in order to make sure they are not kidding themselves, but the way I eat, even with the snacks, I need all those calories, and if I were to drink too much water during a pre-portioned meal that I need all the calories from and if I were to get full on water, I'd gyp myself out of calories, and that would be a bad thing. So that tool is great as a re-training mechanism, but please use care when utilizing it. If you're exercising, you need all the calories that MFP allows you to avoid going into starvation mode.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have also started eating a sald with or vefore the meal, out and at home, I have done this for a long time now that I am loosing weight. It workd to fill you up a bit before the main meal starts.

I also ask for unsweatened tea and water. That way I down the water with the salad nad feel fuller longer.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting a way to cut down your daily calorie requirements. I am just suggesting how to feel full on fewer calories so you don't go over what you require for the day and so you feel satisfied with what you're eating and not deprived.