I hate exercise - help

Options
So I have been on MFP for a few weeks and doing well with keeping to my daily calorie count etc and starting to lose a few pounds. My next problem is the fact that I don't do any exercise. I need some ideas and motivation.

I've always been crap at sports in general. I've got big boobs and short legs and just don't feel like I'm made for exercise. I hate running more than anything. The gym bores me to death. I don't like the idea of doing exercise at home infront of the TV.

I do cycle to work in the summer but its slow cycling and only 3 miles. I like swimming but it is such a hassle to get ready for. I used to do professional dancing as a kid but gave it up when I hit puberty.

So now I've had a moan - can anyone suggest things I might enjoy that don't involved running of any description? I might like group classes but don't know where to start?

HELP!

Replies

• janehooper
    Options
    Hi, I know the feeling - try Salsa, Jazz or Zumba, its great fun and you get to meet new friends!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The more excuses you come up with the longer it is going to take for you to reach your goals.I hated it to at first,but then slowly found some stuff that I actually liked.I also know that when I workout I feel mentally great and I wanted more of that and it kept me motivated.Find your nich and the rest will follow:bigsmile:
  • BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    Welcome. If you like dancing you might want to try a ZUMBA class. There is also a Zumba for the various game boxes (Wii, XBox...) that will get you moving. Good Luck - I know you can do this.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise, too. I will never enjoy it. It is just something that I have to MAKE myself do.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I feel the same way!! Gyms are not popular (especially with girls) here :o And I just don't like to get ready for swimming or do boring, repetitive exercises, or use equipment.

Have you tried dance DVDs? I like bellydance videos, especially Veena and Neena ones because I don't like having the moves explained to me XD I just watch and do! As long as I'm moving, I don't care!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    funny, i posted a question just like this about a month ago! :)

thought you might like to see the suggestions other MFP'ers made...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/149170-i-hate-to-exercise
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well, if you hate it, I don't think you will be able to do it consistently over time. I started running in January and formed a group of friends and we all run together. There is something for me about doing this as a group that makes it more fun. It also gives me a reason to roll out of bed when it is cold or whatever as I know there are people waiting for me.

Anyway, not much help, but I might suggest joining a group that can make it a bit more social.

I will say that many people lose weight just by diet with little or no exercize. However, you have to be a lot more attentive to your calories. I lost about 30 pounds by diet before I started running and other working out. I think that you can lose weight without exercize, but an active body is more healthy in the long run.

Best of Luck!!!

--Carter
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey, I am right there with ya! I always joke that I'm from good peasant stock--short legs, built low to the ground so I don't have far to squat to pick that produce! Anyway, I found I like the stationary bike. I do watch tv or listen to my mp3 player so it makes the time go faster. I really look forward to getting on the bike and seeing those miles stack up! Sometimes you just have to pick something and dive right in and MAKE yourself like it! (At least a little bit.) Then, once you keep doing it, it becomes a habit.

How about just walking around the neighborhood? A short walk in the park to start out with? Group classes sound good. Check with the local rec. center.

I hope you find something to your liking!
  • Janice1968
    Options
    HI, I was that way too...you have to get into a grove then you will keep going. I had to give myself several pushes.
  • lisastevens27
    Options
    Hi there, I've been here a few weeks too and used to hate exercising. I found it a real effort and hate sweating. I bought myself a treadmill because I don't mind walking and its been great. I've got big boobs too so lots of exercise makes my boobs sore. As I lose weight i'm trying different exercises and enjoying them. I find that instead of trying to carry everything upstairs at the same time i do several trips to go up and down. Just start of slowly doing little bits here and there and you may enjoy them. I also downloaded 3 apps for my mobile. Arms, butt and abs and they are only 5 minutes each which is great and not long enough to bore me.
    Lisa
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with you! I wish I could run, but my bad knees won't allow it. Treadmill was boring to me and I'd have to be on it for over an hour to burn the number of calories I wanted to. I'm a mom to 2 busy little boys, do transcription from home and run them around to various school activities, so anything more than an hour each day isn't in my time budget!

I started trying Zumba classes back in November and while it's difficult to learn the steps at first (I have no dance experience whatsoever, but you might pick it up quicker since you've had dance before), I stuck with it and am totally in love with Zumba! In fact, my classes have recently dwindled from 4 times a week to just 2 times a week so I searched yesterday for 2 hours to find Zumba for my Wii so I could do it from home and finally found it! I was so excited to find it!!! It's a FANTASTIC calorie burn and a fun workout and I actually look FORWARD to my workouts with Zumba!

Try it and see how you like it....dont' give up after the first few times...stick with it to learn the steps! Good luck!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Wow... you really are exceptionally good at making excuses.

I think the first thing that needs to change is your mindset, because it's like you've already decided that you hate it all, and it's just a chore, a means to an end to a good body. What THAT attitude you will never enjoy exercise.

I think you need to be a bit more open minded about the whole experience. I mean for example Zumba, something that's an exceptionally good laugh..., if you go into the class with that attitude you'll probably hate it.

If you enjoy cycling , just do more than 3 miles.

Just try different stuff. Gyms do so many classes which are genuinely enjoyable.

Alternatively do something else that's fun like get some roller skates or something...

I think your biggest hurdle are not your short legs, but your head.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For me, the thing that has made all the difference is working out with someone. When I don't feel like working out, I know I'll be letting my workout buddy (who's also my boyfriend) down, so I make myself go workout. Then, when he doesn't feel like working out, I motivate him to workout. This is the first time (in many, many attempts) that I have stuck to a workout program for almost 2 months now. In fact, yesterday I wanted to go to the gym by myself (yay me!), but I couldn't because we were getting a bad snow/ice storm and the roads were bad. My point is that if you make yourself do it, eventually you will like the benefits that come from exercise and you will start to like exercising.

I also always make sure that I have my iPod loaded with good workout songs (I'm always looking to add more). This helps me to keep my pace up while I am working out at the gym. Also, my gym has some small TV's mounted to the exercise equipment and I occasionally watch those shows while working out. I find that this passes the time quite well, but I just have to make sure that I don't slow down with watching the show.

Also, try finding some activity that you like just get up and get moving! I'm not sure what the weather is like where you live, but you could try to just get out for a walk. I also enjoy ice skating, which can also be a good workout. I'm excited for spring to be coming so I can get outside and rollerblade around my neighborhood and go biking.

Just try a variety of activities and you CAN find something that you like doing! Good luck!=)
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Do you like to shop? Go to a mall and walk for a few hours, sounds dumb, but you actually get a lot of excercise without even thinking about it, plus you get to do something you enjoy. Get someone to play frisbee or something like that, or, one of great things, I just bought a Kinect, your playing games and getting a full body workout, and it doesnt even seem like it.
  • jemmie00
    Options
    Everyone has been saying Zumba, and I think that would be a great fit for you. In addition, belly dancing classes are great. I lost about 30 pounds in two months doing belly dancing because you move muscles you didn't know you have. Try a fighting class like Krav maga or kickboxing, those are great workouts. As far as for the running thing, I'm an anti-runner as well... I spin. Spinning is the one kind of cardio that I can just zone out and do it and get lost in the time burning tons of calories! Start out with a class so you can learn form, but after you're comfortable try doing it on your own... it's super cleansing. As far as lifting (you do need to do resistance training in order to be as successful as you possibly can,) find a workout buddy, get a trainer, make yourself accountable in some way shape or form. If you're meeting someone at the gym, you'll feel more obligated... likewise, if you pay for a trainer, you won't want to miss an appointment.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments! You are all so quick!

I hadn't heard of this Zumba thing before but it looks like its all the rage at the moment. Something that is 'dancy' would certainly be more fun than the gym. There are lots of Zumba classes in Oxford so I'll have to check it out next week. You all seem to rave about it so I'll certainly give it a go. I like the idea of some sort of martial arts class too - maybe that's stage two of trying to convince myself that exercise is fun.

I think things will get easier in the summer when I'm out on my bike instead of getting the bus everywhere and then I can get to the pool easier too. This rainy UK weather isn't exactly making me want to venture outside at the moment. I think part of the problem is that lots of generic exercise routines are really boring and mind numbing - running, swimming, the gym...
    I work a fairly high-flying job and am limited on time. It is a lot less time consuming to diet than to exercise. That's why I like cycling as it actually saves me time on my commute!

But...I can spare at least 1 hour a week, so I shall book one of these Zumba classes and get on my dancing shoes!

@backinthenines I'm not making excuses. I'm being honest about how I feel about exercise. I'm here asking for advice and so am obviously being 'open'. Your comment about my supposed "attitude problem" isn't very supportive to be honest.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    How about taking long walks? Is there a park or trail around? I've been fit all my life, but the last few years I really got out of shape, so I just started getting back into it by walking first, no other cardio. What was great about it was, it was a nice mental break for me too. Being on a pretty trail listening to my ipod or nothing at all but the birds is actually really good for your mental health. It's good to be alone and just think sometimes. So you can get 2 things in one.

But you have to make it a priority. And if you don't try things you won't know if you like them or not!
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have short legs and big boobs...I just wear like two to three sports bras and go to zumba class which I love. It doesn't feel like exercise.
  • babygtbck14
    babygtbck14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are making excuses..I also hate exercise because I also have big boobs and short legs..lol..seriously if you don't know what it is like to have your boobs bouncing around while you workout you would never be able to understand..Try Zumba It is really fun..Get some friends to go with you so you can laugh at yourselves it is so much more fun..lol
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    @backinthenines I'm not making excuses. I'm being honest about how I feel about exercise. I'm here asking for advice and so am obviously being 'open'. Your comment about my supposed "attitude problem" isn't very supportive to be honest.

I'm just not beating about the bush about the fact that your biggest hurdle is not the length of your legs or the British weather or the fact that you have a job.

It's the fact that from the outset you dismiss stuff as "mind numbing", "boring" and "time consuming", and with that attitude you're unlikely to succeed.