Ladies with 80+ lbs to lose, do you do "recovery" shakes?

Options
I have read and read and read on this subject, but just end up confused. Some articles state recovery protein shakes or snacks are essential, others say it stands in the way of fat burning.

So, what are the ones with lots to lose doing? I have 80+ lbs to lose - should I be having a recovery drink or snack after a 450 calorie burn cardio?

Replies

• jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I drink protein drinks because of they help to repair and build your muscles. Increased muscles lead to faster metabolism and less fat. I assume a healthy snack high in protein would have similar results though.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    It's good to help refuel and repair your body after a workout. I usually have something with protein, but I do not care for the shakes. I haven't used them and I am still losing :)
  • DJmom44
    Options
    Chocolate milk is what I've used before as recovery. I mix my own Hershey's syrup with nonfat milk because the packaged chocolate milk has a lot more calories.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Post Workout Shake might be the most important part of your diet. BAR none!
    Fast Burning Carbs and Protein are needed for your recovery and the reason why the pro's say shakes its because the body has to do little to break it down. Food takes too long and the bodyt has to work to hard.

I am not sure anyone on gods green earth can argue that a PWO is very necessary.

Good Luck
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Some might think this is odd but chocolate can be a sugary carb and be a good reason why the protein makes it to the muscle.

However I would like to think I could replace that with some fast acting carb like a banana or strawberry.
    I used to use Detroxe with a recovery protein powder
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do NOT agree that you need a protein or recovery shake. You need to eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes a good amount of lean protein (I eat 30% protein, 50% carb and 20% fat in MFP for my ratio).

I have successfully worked out for YEARS without using a protein or recovery shake, and I lost 30+ pounds.

The reason bodybuilders use protein shakes is because it is a convenient, fast form of protein. They are obsessed about not losing one single iota of protein after their workout. You could achieve exactly the same result eating a small pot of low fat cottage cheese, chicken breast, or any other form of protein. You do not need a shake for this.

I am only now introducing a protein shake into my workout, because I am trying to build muscle. I am 121 lbs and 22% body fat, and the time has come for me to start focusing on building more lean muscle. However for the past year I've been focused on burning fat, and I didn't use any protein shake.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    OK - so, what is it that one should have then? I just had a hard boiled egg and a slice of lowfat ham. Should I eat 1/2 banana with that, also?
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I would have an Atkins chocolate shake if I felt like I needed a boost after a long workout, but was usually content with just water. At the time I was getting plenty of protein in my diet as a rule though. I've cut back a bit recently.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on protein shakes. Mostly because I have 100+ lbs to go....and getting used to just eating right and watching my calories is hard enough without feeling like I "have" to add in a shake (which is still calorie rick depending on what you use....I know I have some sample packs...and they are 160 calories per serving, not counting the milk etc)...it could practically be a meal replacement.

I think as long as you are eating nutritious foods, watching calories and exercising, your body will still lose at a good pace, and drinking a protein shake is mostly just a boost in well...recovery...it doesn't guarantee you will lose the weight any faster or easier.

That's just my opinion though.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    OK - so, what is it that one should have then? I just had a hard boiled egg and a slice of lowfat ham. Should I eat 1/2 banana with that, also?

Just water after a work out is good. Unless your hungry. Then having something like you listed above would be just fine. If you don't feel hungry, then don't worry about it. :)
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Ok - would my body benefit more from my workout, then, if about 15 minutes after a hard cardio workout, I drank a cup of skim milk with 1 tablespoon of Ovaltine in it?