HRM HELP!!!

Options
Hello MFP's! I must purchase a heart rate monitor soon! I'd like to spend @ $50 or less. I have looked into the forums on here & many people suggest the Polar Brand; many have also mentioned finding them on Amazon for less than in the stores. I can't seem to navigate all the options without getting lost & confused.

I want a good one with a chest strap! Here's what I plan to use it for: outdoor walking & biking, elliptical/treadmill & with my Wii games. A pedometer would be nice,since I walk a bit for work (curious to see how far I've been going) & water-resistance would be an added benefit. Also, I've read from others that some have batteries that you can't change yourself or are difficult.

Could someone help me find a good one???

Spring is coming & want to get outside soon, so I need to order this quickly!!! Thanks for your help & advice!!!

Replies

• LeanLisa4U
    LeanLisa4U Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. It sells for $99 on the polar site and about $90 on amazon.com. I know this is out of your price range, but it is water resistance and I like the nice big display. It doesn't upload to my computer, but I log my calories here anyway.

Go to the Polar site for the best description then look on amazon and ebay for the best price. That is what I did. Time consuming, but it was worth it. Good luck.
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Kristy I'll be watching this post also!! I am looking for the same information - but definitely didn't want to spend more than $50!!! Can't wait to see what results you get!
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    Thanks for this advice! I've been looking on there & it seems to me that only the FT4 & FT7 show calories burned. The less expensive FT1, FT2, FS2 & FS3 don't say it specifically in the overview. Can anyone verify this??? Also do they all have a chest strap? Is it a separate purchase?
    As a beginner, I probably only need one from the fitness section, not the running or cycling high performance ones, so I may have narrowed it down to the FT4 or FT7. Any other suggestions out there?

Does anyone use a Timex or other (cheaper) brand that has a chest strap & displays calories burned? There are some cheaper versions on Amazon, but who knows what I'm getting then. I might prefer to invest a few more bucks to have something that I won't throw away immediately because it's broken.

Thanks for all your help MFP's!!!
    I have the Polar FT4. It sells for $99 on the polar site and about $90 on amazon.com. I know this is out of your price range, but it is water resistance and I like the nice big display. It doesn't upload to my computer, but I log my calories here anyway.

Go to the Polar site for the best description then look on amazon and ebay for the best price. That is what I did. Time consuming, but it was worth it. Good luck.
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm interested in one as an amateur fitness participant - a lot of people on here are really passionate whose fitness levels are just short of Iron Man Competition status.....I'm looking for the most basic of the basic, but funtional and informative. Tell me how many calories I'm burning and be reliable about it, that's what I say. Nothing crazy, just aerobics, walking, jogging, dancing or playing tennis or something.....
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    Thanks for this advice! I've been looking on there & it seems to me that only the FT4 & FT7 show calories burned. The less expensive FT1, FT2, FS2 & FS3 don't say it specifically in the overview. Can anyone verify this??? Also do they all have a chest strap? Is it a separate purchase?
    As a beginner, I probably only need one from the fitness section, not the running or cycling high performance ones, so I may have narrowed it down to the FT4 or FT7. Any other suggestions out there?

Does anyone use a Timex or other (cheaper) brand that has a chest strap & displays calories burned? There are some cheaper versions on Amazon, but who knows what I'm getting then. I might prefer to invest a few more bucks to have something that I won't throw away immediately because it's broken.

Thanks for all your help MFP's!!!

I need to "bump" this, cause I need more feedback on the HRM question. Can anyone confirm which Polar's count calories? Any other suggestions for brand (need calorie counter with chest strap for general fitness/biking ?

Anyone have the ProForm Hybrid Trainer Heart-Rate Monitor w/Chest Strap? Use this link to view the Amazon page & (if you can) let me know if this is a good one or has what I'm looking for!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ERMX6U/sr=1-22/qid=1298251276/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1298251276&sr=1-22&seller=
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    Help please!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I purchased my Polar FT4 from Bodytronics.com - free shipping and had a coupon code (POPO, not sure if it's still valid). It comes with a chest strap and seems to be pretty in line with my elliptical numbers for calories burned. Also, my elliptical picks up the signal from the chest strap so I don't have to wear the watch.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 on Saturday at a Sports Authority. They were on sale for $79.99 ($10.00 off regular price). The FT4 does count calories for you. The FT7 has some added features but was about $30 more ($40 more since the FT4 was on sale) and since I didn't need those features I kept my $40. If you go to their website you can see all the models and compare features.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline Duo 1010..got it at 24 hr fitness..on sale for $53..it comes w/chest strap and it has me burning more cals than the gym...which I believe because it has my accurate weight,age nd HR at all times..it also syncs my HR on some of the machines at the gym..it gives me cals burned nd fat gms burned..it let's me know when I'm over or under Target HR..it works for me so far!!