Dealing with a Puppy - How?

Options
It's cold out. I've been eating like crap - leftover pizza today. Sigh. The binge on saturday.

And it hit me!

I know what's tripping me up (maybe not the binge, but overall) - the new puppy! I can't leave her at home. I can't take her on walks, etc. Ironically, I've all but quit exercising since the new puppy is in the house... it's been quite stressful! And I know by now that for me exercise is key... without it everything else falls apart! So, I'm off for a quick walk break and if you have any suggestions on how to deal with new, big transitions and interpurtions in routine, I'd love some suggestions!

(dog background: we're having a hard time with crate training, potty training and she can only go for 10-20 minutes walks, but it's more like stopping constantly because her leash manners aren't exactly there yet)

So... how do you find the time? How do you adapt? What do you do?

Replies

• taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    I love animals, I have a young daughter 22 mos. I had a lab cross puppy and it just wasnt working for us. So I gave her away to a friend. Then I thiught little dog would be better! so we got a baby chihuahua...still too much work. And he was even harder to house break. So we sold him. But I still really wanted a dog, so we adopted a 5 year old house trained Min Pin. He is great with our baby too. The point is puppies are alot of work. When we had the lab cross we hired someone to come over at lunch let her out for a potty break and a play. He worked for the RCMP so we trusted them. That being said what kind of dog do you have and how old?
  • psychosmom
    psychosmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a small dog and when he was a pup I just picked him up and carried him. Stops the continual sniffing and he still enjoyed the outings. Put him in a shoulder bag etc, ow potty training gave me a nervous breakdown and took forever so I have no suggestions!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    How old is the puppy?
    puppies are a lot of work and take time to train them-the earlier you start the better it is. Does your puppy respond to food/treats? if so you can use that as a motivator and training reward for them. For our dogs (we have 3) we used small treats and a shorter leash (easier for control) and had them walk at our side. If they pulled or tugged in a different direction or moved infront of us we would change the path of our walks (i'm sure we looked silly to the neighbors!). Hold a treat in your hand as you walk and as soon as the puppy is at your side where you want them to be give them the treat and praise for a nice walk. good walk etc. do this every time they are at your side, and change paths/directions when they are not. Eventually they will learn what you want from them-this does take time!

As for crate training-we use treats as well-(our dogs will do anything for a treat! ) when we want them to go in a crate we just say crate and when they go in give them a treat. In the begining they HATED the crate and would always try to get out. I would just put their treat in there and they would go in to get it. when they were young we lost a lot of sleep because they wined through the night. A few suggestions for this--have the crate in a different room than the bedroom if possible. put a blanket over the crate-it makes it more den like and cozy. Give it time eventually they will learn to love the crate. The worst thing you could do is let them out when they whine/cry--I know its hard but ignore them-unless its been a while since their last bathroom break. If housebreaking is an issue remember that for every month the puppy is old that is how many hours they should be able to hold and wait to use the bathroom...younger puppies need to go out more often. For mine I would let them out 1st thing in the morning and praise them outside when they did their business outdoors. Let them out again 10min after they were done eating etc...if you see the puppy sniffing around a lot take him outdoors ASAP--this means they are usually looking for a spot. Also if you see them around a door for a while too... Also if they do something in the house--clean it up and take them outside for a few min. Lots of praises outside and time will help this!

Also if you have a fenced in yard, let the puppy run around (you can join him/her) and play for 30min before any training is done--they focus better when they are more tired!!

Is there someone else that can help out with the puppy in the evenings so that you can go work out for a little bit?

Good luck :)
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Puppy classes :) do them and the pup will so get her leash manners sorted out.

Otherwise do what you can, try working out at home and making it a bit fun for the pup as well :)
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    if you would like to go for longer walks you can always carry your puppy! he will still enjoy it.. my dog is 3 years old and I still carry him up steep hills hehe :flowerforyou:
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a puppy who is humungous! She is 8 months old and I love her but she's turned my life upside down. I have to sleep on the couch so she doesn't mess on the floor from seperation anxiety. She walks a few houses with me and then she gets upset when she hears another dog. It's nothing like I had imagined. I feel your pain.
  • theytmassacre
    Options
    Everyone loves a new puppy... but its easy to underestimate how time-consuming and stressful they can actually be. I am freshly aware of this, as our lab/walker pup has just turned 7 months. Though he has grown out of some of the more notorious puppy behaviors, my husband and I are still far from returning to our old schedules.

I'd be more than willing to share my recently-acquired puppy knowledge... if you can fill in some informational gaps for me.

First... what kind of puppy is she, and how old?

Second... what is your housing situation, and work/sleep schedule? (I sound like a stalker!)

Let me know, and I'll tell you what we did. Or... offer suggestions tailored to your situation, based on how I handled my four-legged terror.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, a puppy who doesn't like walks! That's the first time I've heard that.

I have a pet stroller for my cats, it would work great for a smallish dog. On Amazon.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have a bullmastiff- so a very large dog- that I have raised since he was a puppy. He HATED walks when he was a pup. We would walk about a block and then he would lay down on a patch of grass and refuse to get up until I started to walk toward the house again. I totally understand the frustration. I finally started to drive to other neighborhoods he didn't know so he wasn;t protective of the house and would walk:o) I would suggest continue to walk your pup and then leave the house for a bit and go to the gym. As far as crate training make sure the crate is the correct size- if the crate is too large your pup will continue to potty in it and if it is too small it won't be comfortable. Kongs with spray in treats is a great way to motivate the puppy to go into the crate and keep it busy while you leave to exercise for a bit. With my bullmastiff we didn't crate train due to his size instead we got pup gates so he was confined to the kitchen where there are laminate floors. Good Luck!
  • theytmassacre
    Options
    It isn't entirely unusual for a young puppy to dislike walking and/or leash training.

We got our puppy, Tycho, when he was 8 weeks old. For the first two weeks of that time, we walked him without a leash. He wasn't a whole lot bigger than one of my husband's running shoes, and was mostly too afraid to really leave our sides. We live in a fairly quiet residential area, however. The important thing with young puppies is to get them out... but to avoid places with a lot of scary, noisy activity for the first little bit.

We put a leash on Tycho when he finally started to show some initiative... which is to say started to wander away to investigate things. He did not like it at all, at first. He would either force us to drag him on his leash, or would try to slip his collar. The solution we came up with was for one person to walk ahead, and drag a cheap nylon leash along the ground. We'd dipped the end of it in some gravy, so instead of paying attention to his collar and leash... he was chasing something that smelled good.

I think after about a week or two of that, he'd learned to ignore the leash that he was actually connected to. Though... I wouldn't say he walked like a perfect gentleman. That sort of training is a slightly more extended deal.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    First... what kind of puppy is she, and how old?

Second... what is your housing situation, and work/sleep schedule? (I sound like a stalker!)

1 - she's an english setter and 5 months old (we've had her for not quite a month) (and weighs 25+ pounds)
    2 - we have our own home with a fenced backyard. the work/sleep schedule is hard to explain because my husband's is different every day, which affects things. But for me I get up about 5:30am and leave for work at 6:30am. There's time for a quick 10 minute walk in there. I return home at 5pm from work. In the past I would go for a run with my older dog, or at least a walk. Then shower and make dinner. Now I'm not sure what I do, but it's definitely changed since puppy came. I head to bed between 9 & 9:30pm. Rinse and repeat until the weekend (which is very flexible).

dj_stevie - she IS in a puppy class. we just started the leash information this last week - I know we need to get busy with the treats and leash training. thanks for the reminder!

So in hindsight with my weight loss journey, maybe the timing wasn't the best to get a puppy. But at least I've acknowledged it and can make more enlightened decisions going forward. I just have to figure out how I'm going to work my exercise schedule better. One idea is to coordinate it with days when my hubby gets home from work early - then I could come home and run without worrying about the puppy. Not sure if that'll work more then 2 days a week, but it's a start.

She also has a touch of seperation anxiety, so i really hate on days when she's been in the crate for 8 hours, to let her out to pee and run around the yard for a bit and then stuff her back in the crate while I go for a run...
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i have started puppy sitting and at first was in the same boat....or sofa as it were
    and this dog doesn't have huge crate issues...here's my 2 cents

after he's eaten, right outside and when he goes to the washroom...praise him like crazy
    then right back inside and into the crate...cover it ...and go for your walk / run / gym whatever
    if he cries you don't hear it and left him out...as soon as you get back take him out again

once you set the schedule he'll learn to adjust and life will get easier
  • Orska
    Orska Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We house trained our four month old pit bull with bells. We hung jingle bells next to the back door and everytime we took him out to potty, we made his nose hit the bells. He caught on in under a week and started ringing the bell himself when he needed to pee. It's important to only ring the bell when the pup is truly going out for a potty break, not playing.

Also, 8 hours is a really long time for you young pup in a crate, if you can afford it, you may consider a day or two a week of dog day care, or hire someone to come in, in the middle of the day to walk them. This is really helpful on long days at work and I can say that day care really changed our pup for the better.
  • theytmassacre
    Options
    Yes. One thing I've learned is that dogs need to have a schedule of sorts. The first goal is to make the crate seem like a comfortable, personal space for your pup... instead of a place of punishment. Treats are a great start, as is covering the kennel itself with a blanket. As previously mentioned by another poster, its important that the crate not be too spacious to start with.

When Tycho was very young, we trained him to accept the crate by first placing it (and him) in a room with us. He could smell us, and hear us. To start with, we had a lot of trouble with his whimpering through the night. My husband solved this with an old trick his mother had taught him. He filled a milk jug full of warm water, and put it in the kennel with Tycho. Because he was close to us, and able to cuddle with something warm... he was much quieter.

As he got used to that, we slowly moved the kennel further out of our room. Now the kennel is in our down-stairs living room. The milk-jug was taken away when he started to chew on it.

Another thing you can try, or perhaps ask your vet about, is a pheromone spray that can be squirted onto the dog blankets in the kennel. They reduce anxiety, and (I think, but could be wrong) simulate the pheromones that the mother dog secretes while nursing. We did not know about them when we were kennel training, but later used them on a blanket that he lays on during car rides.
  • theytmassacre
    Options
    I forgot to say it in the previous post, but that (slowly moving his crate out of our room)was sort of how we handled separation anxiety with Tycho. He still has some issues with it, but being in the kennel curtails his ability to destroy things while we aren't around to keep an eye on him. My husband and I stagger our lunch breaks at work, however... so that we can drive home and walk him during the day. So he gets taken out twice during an 8 hour nap.

Exercise-wise... I would suggest looking up a local dog park.

I know in my city... we have two. Its four dollars per visit, or a year-long membership you can purchase when you get your dog registered with the City. Ours, at least, has a huge fenced in walking track with a grassy area in the middle. We take a bottle of water for Tycho, unhook his leash, and let him frolic until he collapses (often with a sulky groan, because he wants to keep chasing the other dogs).

Most of the people who attend these sorts of places are good about making sure their dogs play nicely. Aside from training classes, it is an excellent way to socialize your dog with other people and other dogs (of all sizes).
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    theytmassacre - thanks for all your advice! I appreicate it!

I think the biggest thing I do to do, aside from all the training, is schedule some exercise time for me. Talk with my hubby, figure out when he can keep an eye on the pup so I can hit the pavement. I'm just stubborn and have a hard time with change... "i want to run now" type of thing. As long as I can still work out, does it matter if it's monday & thursday instead of tuesday & wednesday? Nope... just need to adjust my attitude, expectations and come up with a plan.