Lifestyle change, not diet

Options
Hello, I've just joined and I really would like to succeed. My 13 yr old daughter and I are calling this a lifestyle change instead of a diet. Sounds stupid but it seems to help me not miss the things I shouldn't be eating. Also will hopefully help keep my daughter from thinking "dieting" is okay. Would much rather she learns to make better eating decisions. She and I are encouraging each other.

Replies

• tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound stupid at all! I try REALLY hard NOT to call this a diet, but instead a "lifestyle" change because that is what it HAS to be in order to not ever do this again (putting the weight back on). I now agree that diets don't work! Changing your lifestyle does! So keep up the good work and add me as a friend if you'd like! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • racquelm29
    Options
    You and your daughter have the right idea. Changing your lifestyle now will lead to both of you making better choices in the future. Keep at it and you're guaranteed to reach your fitness goals! Best of luck!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i honestly don't even think of following MFP as being on a diet. diets limit the things you eat, and here, there is no limit to what you can eat, just how much of it. granted, eating lots of junk and staying under your cals will work, but that's not healthy at all. so yes, it is a lifestyle change, a big one for sure, but a better, healthier one. it's great that you have your daughter in on this too, it is never too late to start a child on eating right. if this site had been around when i was 13, and my mom found it, i have no doubt that i would have grown up a way better eater. not that i blame my mom of course, we all make our own decisions in the end. but now, i am 30, and yet, my mom and i are here on MFP together :) and both doing great so far.
  • pjhenderson
    Options
    Lifestyle Change is not stupid. It's very smart. It helps me to think nothing is forbidden. I can have a small portion of something bad if I just plan my calories right. It helps me so that I don't binge on that forbidden something I really wanted at a later date.
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great idea! My trainer at the YMCA say anything you put in your mouth is a "diet". Eating sensible with occasional splurge has help me loose over 30 pounds in the last year. I wish my mom would of had that attitiude when I was 13! Instead she was always questioning every bite I ate and telling me I shouldn't eat this or that. It was not helpful at all. I think that is part of why I am overweight today. I have now realized it was her issue, she felt like a failure as a mother because I was overweight.
    There is a qoute I heard at Weight Watchers years ago that said "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail" I try to plan ahead, even when going out to dinner, I will look up the menu online and figure out what the better healthier choices are at the restaurant.
    Good luck to you and your daughter! You can do it!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thats an awesome plan. Young girls don't need to be exposed to dieting as it is a vicious cycle. I think what you are doing is great. Learning to eat healthy is exercise is what its all about! Kudos to you for being a great mom and good luck on your journey to change.