Feeling like a crappy mom today!

Options
Are there any other working mothers out there that feel this way?! My kids are off school today and I had to send them to the sitters because my work is not closed. I just feel like I should be with them enjoying this beautiful day! Makes me sad which leads to comfort food! NOT a good combination! You gotta do what you gotta do but I know I will never get these days back and I am missing them grow up! :cry:

Replies

• MaryDreamer
    Options
    Awww I remember those days! How old are they? I used to have to do the same thing or take a vacation day off from work to be with them at home. Now my daughter is 13 and my son is 6 so when that happens now (teacher's in-services) she watches him at home for me. So much easier!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm a single working mother and I have to do that all the time. And I get all depressed and I eat crappy... I swear my daughter keeps me motivated and on track and she doesn't even know it. Hang in there. You're working for a reason, for them, and one day they'll understand how hard it was for you to not be with them on days like this.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    one is off public school and with omi and opa and the other one is at daycare and my husband and i are both at work....it is what it is....you have to work and you make the best you can of the time you have.....i might leave early today but i'll probably end up running to the grocery store so i can be home "early" to make dinner and have a more relaxed evening with them before i throw them in bed at 815 and head out to the YMCA for my workout.....
    you do the best you can and know that they love you no matter what....well i do anyway LOL
  • leggymomma64
    leggymomma64 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can't beat yourself up! I have a friend who we trade taking days off, then we only personally have to take off half the days from work. This way, we don't suck up all our days off, but we still help each other out. Maybe try to find someone to do that? Try not to go too nuts with the food, my heart goes out to you!! Hope you find a babysitting buddy!!
  • soleste
    Options
    Right there with you. I just went back to work a few months ago and while I have a flexible work schedule, but I can't just take off everyday my older DD has off. My little one gets watched by family (I'm so thankful to my in-laws). I'm still not sure what I will do about this summer. I was a SAHM for 5 years. Just make the most of the time you have with them this evening and everyday), a fun family dinner where everyone gets to help, like chicken taco, perhaps. Take a deep breath in and out. We are all here to help!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have to ask, is it absolutely necessary that you work? If you're not a single parent is it possible to cut back on some expenses so that you can stay home?

My husband and I agreed that I would be a stay at home mom, even before we had kids. We were both raised by single moms and we knew we didn't want our kids in day care. There have been some tough times, especially when we lived in Southern California, but we've always made it work. We sacrifice a lot, older cars instead of new, we don't get new clothes, we just went to our first movie (separately, because we have no babysitter) in a year and a half. But, it's worth it because I'm the one raising our kids, not someone at a day care.
  • tukrainets
    Options
    i'm there too... i work so much overtime, at times i'm gone 12 hrs at work, go straight to gym after work for 2 hrs and by the time i get home the only time i have is for preparing things for the next day. and he's either asleep by the time i get home or if i'm lucky i get to put him to bed, then on the weekends i have to clean and cook and run errands.. feel like a failure... having a hard time with that too.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    you gotta do what you gotta do..and feeling like a crappy mom for not staying home with your children is not something to feel terrible about.. I am sure when they get home.. they will have lots to say, lots to fill you in on.. and it will be as though you were with them; never feel guilty for something you really have no control over. you just be the best mom you can be.. and everything will fall into place
  • barberella
    Options
    How old is your kid??? Girl..I definitely know what you're going through...My daughter is only 5, but ever since she was born, I have to share her with her bio-dad. He was totally bad for me, so I left him 3 months after she was born. He's not by any means a model dad, but it was very hard to prove that in court. Any way, we finally have reached the point where we get along, and I like that we do. But my daughter never likes to go there because he basically is not around a lot..he has 2 older daughters there who take care of her..In saying this, I feel the guilt every time I have to let her go. But I"m in a bind, so I just enjoy the time I have with her, but still. How do you get over it? I go through the guilt every sunday, and it doesn't return til she comes back wednesday. A lot of times her dad is generous and lets me keep her an extra day, so we try to work it out, but still hard...
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Are there any other working mothers out there that feel this way?! My kids are off school today and I had to send them to the sitters because my work is not closed. I just feel like I should be with them enjoying this beautiful day! Makes me sad which leads to comfort food! NOT a good combination! You gotta do what you gotta do but I know I will never get these days back and I am missing them grow up! :cry:

Funny you brought this up, because that is exactly how I felt on my way to work today. Now that the weather is getting nice it pains me not to be able to go out and enjoy it with my children. I work at a job that is opened especially on holidays. I know how you feel but we can't let us get down on ourselves. It's not like we are ignoring our children we are working for our children.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can relate COMPLETELY...but you can NOT feel that way. It is my daughter's 6th birthday and it is not my day (we share 50% custody) and she does not have school. So my baby girl is spending her birthday with her step mom...it is KILLING ME...but I spent the weekend with her, we went to the Justin Beiber movie and had her party at Chuck e Cheese. So take advantage of the evening when you get home...I dont want regrets...but being away from her....hurts so much. hang in there.
  • writermom02
    Options
    I'm a working mom, but I tend to look at the silver lining. I think about the fact that when I am off I can take my children to the movies with the money I made working all week. I can pay for me and my daughter to go to the beauty parlor and what a blessing it is to provide a roof over our heads, electricity and food. It is not about how much time you spend with your children it is about the quality of time that we spend. Let your children help you prepare dinner or set the table. Each night read them a bedtime story. Take time to talk to them about their day at school. Establish communications with your children. My children are now 21yrs old and 18yrs old respectively and we still talk and have fun together. It all started when they were babies and continues today.