Is going to buy a (polar)HRM...any suggestions???

Options
I want to get an accurate count for how many calories I burn, soooo I saw an HRM (polar) on line from Target and the Polar website for about &69.99....

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft4 and i LOVE it
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    That's a very good price for a Polar. I have the F4 and so does my friend. It's regular $99 but got it on ebay for $60 including shipping.
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and I love it!!! If you work out in the gym close to anyone else wearing one--- becareful sometimes you might pick up someone elses rate... used to happen to me in Spin.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ok so what is the difference, I see F4, F7 what is the difference?
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have the RS100 and it's a nifty little gadget. I think Polar is among the top of the heap when it comes to Heart Rate Monitors. I can't see any reason you'd regret getting one.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Love my FT4, the FT7 has the ability to link up with your computer to transfer data. The FT4 is a little more basic.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    ft7 has a diary that records and keeps your workouts. since I record daily on MFP, I bought the ft4 and love it!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    go with the ft7 because at some point you will want to upgrade to it anyways... :-) i also have the rs300x and LOVE IT but it's only needed it you are a runner as the extra features are more geared for that thus the R and the F in FT stands more for "fitness" which is more general use... and can be used for cross training as well. you might also consider a bodybugg/bodymedia.. i blogged about this recently on my blog... "bugggin out" and "the truth about HRM" at http://payfitforward.wordpress.com
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Some of the newer Polars have a feature that makes it more difficult for the signals to get crossed among different heart rate monitors if you do a lot of group exercise, like spinning.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just bought a polar FT4 on Friday and am soooo happy that I did. It is great actually knowing the true amount of calories burned during my workout! If you are only going to use it for this reason, you don't really need to spend more money for more features.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah the F7 has that feature that keeps your signals from getting mixed with other users. It's only $10 more, and well worth the extra expense.

Go to Polar USA's website and you can do a side by side comparison.

Here's a really great blog post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT7 a week or two ago on sale at Amazon.com for $89 and so far I'm really happy with it.
  • Chuck1963
    Chuck1963 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar F11.

From the Polar website...

The F11™ is an exerciser's dream come true. A revolutionary heart rate monitor that creates a workout program to tell you how much, how hard and how long to exercise to reach your goals. The Keeps U Fit™ - Workout Program guides you to your personal goals. OwnIndex® will determine your fitness level, track your improvements, and provide motivation. The OwnCal® feature counts the calories and fat that you burn and the OwnZone® feature will automatically determine each day's target zone. The F11™ also features the WearLink Coded transmitter made from a soft, fabric material. The electrodes, which pick up the heart signals, are integrated right into the strap for added flexibility and comfort. The Coded feature eliminates interference from other heart rate monitors. The F11™ is the closest thing to having your own personal trainer.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ok there's a difference between a F4/F6 and an FT4/FT6 the FT models I think are newer than the F models. I have an F6 and it was the first one in that series to have the encryption so as not to get interference (anything less than that.... F5, F4,etc.... do not). I am not familiar with the FT series models so I can't comment about those.

I agree with an earlier poster.....whichever model you get I don't think you'll be disappointed in a Polar.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread and several other reviews, I just bought the FT7. I had a hard time pulling the trigger because it is a little pricey, but I have a feeling I'm going to find it well worth the cost once I start using it.
  • foltzie22
    Options
    I was going to go buy one 2 days ago but i had someone tell me that there not accurate....how does everyone else feel???
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I read a review somewhere that a guy who had had a heart attack got one and the readings were identical to the cardiac machines at the hospital. That was convincing enough for me. Well, that and all the other great reviews.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this thread was posted so I didn't have to post one myself! I'm going to take the plunge and get a HRM and was looking at amazon. Became completely overwhelmed with just the different options offered JUST by the polar brand!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You won't go wrong with a Polar. I have a F6 I've used for several years and love it.
    I also have a dive computer made by the same company and love it too.

Side-By-Side Product Comparison (POLAR only)
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/compare?product1=nid_23350
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 paid around $90.00 for it was the best investment I have made, in my weight loss journey.