eat whatever you want in moderation.....must be for normal p

Options
i was just wondering is there anybody who had to take things form there diet? i had to i cannot eat sugary stuff or bready stuff it like i have this sugar carb monster that lves in me so i don't eat it at all. i can be around it ALL day and not be tempted by it anymore. but i was at a friend party at the office and she brought all this cake and cookies i decline. she went on about this moderation thing and then she said it not normal and it like nobody understands that i have to avoid sugar like the plaugue. is there anybody else that like that or am i the only one because this "eat whatever you want in moderation" key does not work for me. i eat a set way because it helps control cravings and what nots but as southern as i am my biscuits and sweet tea days had to come to a end it was killing me. i do admire people who can do the moderation thing i look at them at awe when they just have one cookie or something and i like "how?" i don't get it. sometimes and no disrespect to other addictions, i think food addictions are the worst because you have to eat you don'tr need drugs and you dont need drinks but you have to eat. no way around it. :ohwell:

Replies

• kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    WOW 188lbs lost...I say keep doing what your doing honey!! Its working for you....and those who push it on you are just jealous that they have not had the commitment! I say do what works for you!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with the whole eat whatever you want in moderation....that works for YOU. Everyone is different. My biggest downfall is fast food, because I will just keep eating it past the point of being full, so I've just decided not to eat it anymore. I can take a tiny piece of cake, I can stop at one cookie, I can just have that one piece of bread, but junk food, I just overeat.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. For some people that may work but it doesn't work for me at all! I can't start eating certain types of carbs or it's this slippery slope back into stuffing my face. I can eat healthy bagels or bread or something but get those cookies away from me - I can't even go there at ALL. I'm totally with you.
  • pooh072572
    Options
    I understand you. I have that carb/sugar monster in me too. If you give me a bowl of ice cream, I will eat the whole half-gallon.
    The thing you need to tell Ms. know-it-all from your work is that you don't abstain from all carb's and sugars, you get the ones you need in fruits and veggies etc. You just stay away from things that tend to trigger a pig-out.
    I hate when people try to get me to eat stuff that I should stay away from, they have sabotaged my diets before, but now with this site to help me I am stronger.
    Maybe Ms. Know-it-all from your work is just a bit envious of your will power and is trying to make herself feel better.

Hug, do it your way!
    Pooh
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,111 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just posted this on another thread:
    Some people "allow" themselves one or two small bits of chocolate daily.

Some people just cannot have sweets. This debate can go on forever. I tried the "I'll just have one" thing but I'm like kattix13, I cannot stop. This is one of those debates that people line up on both sides. I think you have to try both ways to see which works for you.

I'm of the belief that abstinance is the only thing that works after trying both ways.

I totally agree with you. It is an addiction. Many people have it, not many will admit it. You are my new hero for being able to stop. I have a lot of trouble with this.

Did you stop eating fruit too? I've noticed a tendency to substitute fruit, and I think that's a bad habit of mine.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, unless it's dark chocolate. If I eat ice cream and stay under my calories I'll still gain weight.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have a sugar addiction. I can eat it but can't stop once I start (I polished almost a whole pint of Ben&Jerry's Half Baked in one sitting. Finished it the next day.) And the cravings get worse with each bit I do eat. So I just stay away. Sure moderation can work. But in the long run, I prefer to put my daily calories toward foods that are good for your body. Take the calories in a few cookies - you can get more food in the form of 'healthy' calories and get the nutrients that the body needs.

Same goes with liquid calories. I would rather just drink water all day and use my calories for food - much more enjoyable.

I say you are doing just fine. You've lost 188 lbs doing it your way - that says something!

P.S. I ended up with Fibromyalgia and I am beginning to think that the culprit was sugar. I don't have to take pills for the pain because of my healthier eating habits. But if I go way overboard on sugar (like the big bag of gummy lifesavers I had a few weeks ago) I will hurt for 2 days.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm like that with potato chips and other salty snacks. I can't just have a normal size serving, MUST eat the whole big bag or more. So I avoid them, don't buy them. If I am out and they are available, i won't go overboard when there are people to see !
  • tucker131
    Options
    I have to say no in the store because if I take it home I know I will eat too much!!!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have to eliminate certain foods from my diet. I cannot handle them in moderation.

I don't feel sad about it. I feel stronger the longer I go without.

I don't care what other people think. I know what works for me and that's all that matters.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that... my thinking was always 'well, i've had one chocolate bar, I may as well have twenty...' As in, i've blown my diet with one, I may as well blow it with twenty! My heart rate would increase and i'd get giddy and eat everything i could get my hands on without a second thought and not stop until bed time.

Then I started planning my diet (it takes a lot of work and my friends say i'm obsessed, which very well may be, but it works for me!) and if I plan to have some chocolate, and it's in my diary and my calorie limit then i'm ok, I savour my treat and enjoy it but stop when it's done. There's clearly something psychological involved...lol But i'm just happy that it means I get to eat what I want in moderation without risking a binge!

But as the mantra goes 'Whatever works for YOU!"
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    i think food addictions are the worst because you have to eat you don'tr need drugs and you dont need drinks but you have to eat. no way around it

That. I totally get that!

I'm still in the early stages of weight loss and right now certain items will NOT work in moderation. Just see my chocolate chip cookie experiment from last week. I hope one day that will change, but maybe it won't...
  • pjd1973
    Options
    There is no one diet that works for everyone. You have found what works for you. Don't put too much stock in to what other people say. I think that what you have accomplished is awesome. We should all have the will power and determination that you have. Addiction is not easy to keep in check, and it seems that you are doing a great job so far. Keep it up and I wish you the best of luck.
  • mdeshotels
    mdeshotels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one! I am one that finds moderation works for me. Each person has to find what works for them. For a lot of people trying to lose weight it is hard if not impossible to go from eating whatever they want to not ever eating it again. This can definitely cause someone to stop a diet (deprivation). However if you think of all the diets there are, published and the ones people make up for themselves - yet still work; dieting is extremely personal. Things that work for others may not work for you or me. Trust me - I'm not doing a no carb diet. Each person is made up diferently with body chemistry, how they grew up and mind contol. I am ok with moderation. As soon as I'm told I can't have something, I have to have it. On diets I crave cookies, but in my normal non dieting life I rarely eat them (don't have a big sweet tooth). Apparently I don't like being told what to do or I rebel :)

The point is a lot of people use moderation to get a little of what they were so used to when they were not dieting. I say all that to say this. You have incredible will power to take away that part of your life. As long as your healthy and it isn't something that you should be doing but are not, you have to do what works for you. You remind me of my friend when she quit smoking, most people have to wean themselves off of cigarettes. They are addictive and quitting cold turkey - while possible is extremely hard and easy to fail. My friend one day decided she had had enough and never picked it up again. Point: regardless of whether it is cold turkey or moderation the goal is to stop destructive behavior. you just more will than most people.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    Yeah I'm the same,put me next to a slab of cheese or a cake and POW its gone,I can't eat 'treats' in moderation,don't have the willpower,so I don't eat them more then twice a month,less if I have to.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar and potato chips, sometimes I can have a small portion and I am ok, but you are right it is like a carb monster you can't control sometimes. It pisses me off when people tell you what they think you should do. Like someone else said you lost 188 lbs, you must know what you are doing.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    For me, "everything in moderation" means that I can eat whatever I choose to. It means that I don't agree with "diets" that say to never eat another carb, or only live on strawberries and chicken, or only eat grapefruit for a week. BUT, I don't choose to eat everything. I have found that my chocolate or sugar cravings are less now that I don't eat them as much... but I still have days where I wish I hadn't started eating a brownie because now I want whatever is left in the pan. I choose to not drink sweet tea (though I do use artificial sweeteners in mine still) because I am happy with what I drink now and I know it is better for me (well, okay, that is debatable... but it at least has less sugar). I think that people just don't want to see you feeling like you HAVE to eat a certain way. I guess I see choosing to not have a certain food as a lot different than not being allowed to have it due to some "diet rules".
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering is there anybody who had to take things form there diet? i had to i cannot eat sugary stuff or bready stuff it like i have this sugar carb monster that lves in me so i don't eat it at all. i can be around it ALL day and not be tempted by it anymore. but i was at a friend party at the office and she brought all this cake and cookies i decline. she went on about this moderation thing and then she said it not normal and it like nobody understands that i have to avoid sugar like the plaugue. is there anybody else that like that or am i the only one because this "eat whatever you want in moderation" key does not work for me. i eat a set way because it helps control cravings and what nots but as southern as i am my biscuits and sweet tea days had to come to a end it was killing me. i do admire people who can do the moderation thing i look at them at awe when they just have one cookie or something and i like "how?" i don't get it. sometimes and no disrespect to other addictions, i think food addictions are the worst because you have to eat you don'tr need drugs and you dont need drinks but you have to eat. no way around it. :ohwell:

I cannot eat sugar in moderation either. It sets me off into bingeland. I come from a family of addicts (alchohol, food) and when I eat certain things -- refinded starch and sugars -- I have no control. So for me, just like you said, it is all or nothing!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    moderation does not work for me either (I do believe in learning portion control which I don't think is the exact same thing as moderation)! I cut soda, high fructose corn syrup, potatoes and bleached flour completely. Loved ones have whined to me about how I could have those things "but just in moderation" ummm no, not for me personally, maybe for the normally weighted or people without food issues but for me those items had to go and will not be consumed again because they are trigger foods for lack of a better word. I think eating those things made me fat. I'm perfectly happy with having let those foods go and am doing well in losing weight so I really wish the moderation pushers would let me be, without their lectures lol
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    Is it possible to eat whatever the hell you want as long as you are within your calories and still lose weight? ABSOLUTELY! Is it recommended? NO!!!

You might be seeing the number on the scale go down but the vitamins found in lean protein and veggies is essential to your health.

but all in all, do whatever is working for you.... because its obviously working!