Vitamins and upset stomach?

Options
Does anyone here take vitamins on a daily basis? Supplements? I take a multivitamin, fish oil and a B & C complex - however, I get an upset stomach everytime! I have tried before I eat, while I eat, after I eat but it doesn't change the fact that I want to throw up when I take them.

Does it matter if I take them at night or is this not a good idea?

Replies

• jennygib
    jennygib Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always feel sick after I take vitamins! I take them right before bed and just try to hurry and fall asleep....lol.
  • marcial9s
    Options
    The multivitamins/minerals are the worst for me, but I found one at my local health food store that proclaimed it was easy on the stomach, and although it's way better than the women's one a day i was taking (i threw them out, I just got way too sick) they still bother me a little. If I break them in half and take half with breakfast and half with lunch I don't get sick. It works for me, you may want to give it a try!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I have the same problem. I find it helpful it take them with low sugar meals so I generally take them with dinner rather than in the morning with yogurt and fruit. I also have been feeling less like throwing up the longer I take them consistantly. When I miss a day and then take them I feel worse than when I'm on a roll :o) I definately ALWAYS take them with food (ussually right after dinner- within 20 minutes of finishing.) Keep track of when you are taking them and what food and how you feel after and try to figure out what works for your body. Good Luck!
  • omelas75
    omelas75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I like the idea of taking them at night and breaking them up...and now that you mention it, I do feel more ill if I skip a day.
  • barberella
    Options
    I take Fish Oil and Bee pollen twice a day. The fish oil used to make me a little nauseuated but then I found one that doesn't..It's made from Nature Made. It doesn't have that nasty fish odor. And the bee pollen I have no probs wtih.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem, my stomach would hurt so bad after I took them. I switched to chewable gummies for adults and my B12 is bilingual (melts under my tongue), liquid D3 ( you just put a few drops in your drink of choice, you never taste it. My B1 and B6 don't bother me so they're ok. Maybe that'll help you. Good luck!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The fish oil might be what's causing the problem. I agree with taking them at different times instead of all together, but pay attention to which ones are upsetting your stomach. Fish oil can cause issues for some people, but like barberella said, there are brands that are easier on your stomach.
  • SeattleLady
    Options
    I always feel sick after I take vitamins! I take them right before bed and just try to hurry and fall asleep....lol.

HAHAH! i have tried this too! There is an organic kind that comes in a dark bottle with capsules, not pills. It is a two a day and is basically only food so it does not make you nautious like the one a day's. You can ask anyone at a suppliment store. Also, I have tried to make sure I take them with food. Tough when you are going bread/carb free since it can still weigh heavy in your stomach if you are only consuming low fat food.

Good luck!
  • nrm01776
    nrm01776 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible stomach upset from taking vitamins ... so much so that I stopped taking them. About 3 months ago I found a vitamin that I take on an empty stomach first thing in the morning with NO stomach upset. Use this link for more info: http://www.shop.com/nrm/561800359-p+260.xhtml?vid=214196

I also take the Vitamin D, B-Complex and the OPC-3 as an antioxidant. Amazing that I can now take all four of these together ... on an empty stomach first thing in the morning ... with no stomach upset. Feel better than I have in years.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    gummi vitamins or the chew ones that look like caramels? those are the only ones I can take. Not only do they upset my stomach, they don't stay down..ugh..