HRM Help...Please

Options
ok so i got a heart rate monitor yesterday.. it shows the cals you burn and all that... So just out of curiosty id said id leave it go for the day so going to sleep (straight to sleep haha) last night i set it untill now which is 18 hrs now i have no exercise done yet .. just went to work done normal day stuff and it has shown me 3830 burned .. Is this normal... i want to start it again for my exercise this eve cause i think the calorie give on here is very high....So just want to check it..

Let me know what u think... i know nothing about this.:noway:

Replies

• ejshimon
    ejshimon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chazspk,

I'm no expert on burning calories, but that seems extremely high for a "normal" day without exercise. I dont believe anyone's daily calorie burn is that high, unless you are an unusually tall or large person. I'm assuming you have taken care of any possible HRM settings that specify your height, weight, M/F, age, if possible.

Here is a simple calorie calculator to give you a ball park number for what your body may normally burn in a typical day for you.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php

Hope that helps a little.

Ed
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    yep that could be right - depending on your current weight/age etc and the level of activity you carried out doing "done normal day stuff " - obviously you need to have entered the correct info into the HRM to start with.

For me when I tried this with a HRM I did a 24 hour stretch on a non-work day, no exercise that day other than a bit of housework and clocked up 2500 cals in 24 hours
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    Subtract your BMR from the 3830 calories and what's left over? That number could be correct based on your activity. You didn't give us a whole lot to work with here ... job type (you said work stuff - child care, office work, heavy equipment operator, construction crew?) , current weight, HRM type (chest band, wrist band), settings on the HRM. It's like asking how high is high.

I personally only wear my HRM during normal exercise periods. I really didn't think they were meant for 24-hour wear so accuracy in that case could be suspect.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Subtract your BMR from the 3830 calories and what's left over? That number could be correct based on your activity. You didn't give us a whole lot to work with here ... job type (you said work stuff - child care, office work, heavy equipment operator, construction crew?) , current weight, HRM type (chest band, wrist band), settings on the HRM. It's like asking how high is high.

I personally only wear my HRM during normal exercise periods. I really didn't think they were meant for 24-hour wear so accuracy in that case could be suspect.

Subtracting BMR leaves 2267.
    Work- Office but im up and down stairs , in and out to bank, post office, stores etc..( not all day on *kitten*)
    HRM- its a sportline watch , i can only enter female and age on it..
    Weight 171
    Height- 5ft 8
    :ohwell:
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you have one of the Sportsline 'Solo' range (no chest strap) you must periodically press the front button to acquire the current heart rate - so the less frequently you do this to more inaccurate it will be, especially during periods of sleep as you will likely register heart rate just before going to bed - but this wont be your final resting heart rate whilst sleeping.