Easy Stuff to Make for Lunch

Options
What are some things you pack in your lunch for work/school? I'm not a real fan of salads during the day, but I guess I better get used to it...I've been packing Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines, but I'm trying to stop doing that...and also Tuna and Chicken Salad. Then I throw in a granola bar and some fruit, sometimes veggies. Throw out some ideas of what I can pack for lunch this week! :)

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had them seperately, but they are things I routinely pack when I go hiking: Whole wheat tortillas, tuna, and string cheese. You could also pack bannanas, celery, I like mix of almonds and craisins to just name a few things.
  • QueenRee
    QueenRee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    whole grain tortilla or one of the yummy flavored pitas spread light cream cheese sprinkle with seasonings of choice and add sliced lean turkey or ham. Its kinda like a pinwheel in a sandwich form, just not cut up.
  • FreyaDH
    Options
    If I am cooking something like sausages or a curry one night, i tend to cook a little extra and then pop it in a tupperware tub and eat it cold for lunch the next day, or heat it up if you have access to a microwave/oven. I tend to pack a bit of salad with it too but sometimes cereal bars, sometimes yoghurt, whatever takes my fancy. If you're not a fan of salad but you want to start eating it more often, try and think of ways to make it more interesting. I have the bog standard lettuce, tomato and cucmber every day but I will add different 'extras' each day like a few olive or some feta/salad cheese (which actually isn't too many calories if you shop around) to make it less dull.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I usually bring a chicken wrap. On Sunday nights I cook 2-3 chicken breasts in the oven and cut them up into bite-sized pieces and put it all in a storage container for the whole week. Then each day/night before I make a wrap with either a whole wheat tortilla or a Flat-out wrap, chicken, leaf lettuce and other ingredients. My two favorites are either Franks Red-hot buffalo sauce, 1tsp light ranch, 1/8 cup 2% shredded cheese - OR hummus and feta. Add an apple, 5-6 celery sticks, and a yogurt and it's a pretty decent lunch.

suthrynchocolate has the same idea, I will have to try a whole grain pita sometime in place of my tortilla.
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I usually try to make everything myself the night before whether it's for me, my son or my hubby. That way the sodium content is cut out and I know there isn't any processed stuff in it :D

Homemade lunch ideas :smile:

-Hummus and Veggies
    -Pita filled with veggies (usually store these seperatly and assemble at lunch)
    -Whole wheat wrap with turkey and veggies
    -Fruit Salad
    -Leftovers from the night before such as roast veggies
    -Soup
    -Grilled chicken breast
    -Stir fry (just heat it up at work, school, etc)

Those are a few I could think of that we do besides salads. I recently have been getting tired of salad too, i need to start kicking mine up a notch or two!

Good luck! :)
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I too, love the dried cranberries and almonds!!
    other ideas are single-serve green tea bags, rice, apples, yogurt, make a big bowl of fruit salad and take a serving per day. Also, you could try boost, granola bars (careful though, some out there are just chocolate bars in disguise...) small baked potatoes, chili... annnd I can't think of any more on the spot. :)
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've been loving veggie steamer bags (Green Giant has a bunch of varieties so you don't get bored). 100-150 calories for a whole plate full of seasoned veggies.