Needing to Vent!

Options
Ok so I have been watching my calories (sometimes going over but not by too much) for the last few weeks, I just started working out 4-5 times a week; doing Zumba and now going to the gym for about 60-90 minutes, I didn't think that was bad for NEVER exercising or watching what I ate...I think it was a great first effort.
Last week I weighed myself and it was only a pound which isn't too bad because it is expected that 1-3 lbs a week for my weight is a healthy loss. Well I weighed myself this afternoon and I wanted to cry...nothing, zilch, zip, nada...zero weight loss! I don't get it, it makes me want to give up, which would normally do. I honestly do NOT understand how it can be NO weight loss when I went form my 9-5 desk job, to my house where we just sat on our butts and watched TV, eating crap all day, and binge eating, to newer healthier Amy who works out and eats fruit and veggies and 3 meals a day and I even quit smoking!! Is this all in vain? Does this happen normally??

Replies

• misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Your body just needs to adjust to the changes you're making. Anytime we make an extreme change to eating habits, exercise routines, hormone levels, etc, it takes our bodies a little while to figure out what's going on. In the meantime, it goes into panic mode until it determines that this is the new normal and figures out what to do from there.

I'll bet you'll see a difference next week. In the meantime, just keep an eye on your body. I'll bet you (or those around you) are seeing changes that your scale hasn't noticed yet.
  • chyleki
    Options
    well that is just the thing, I feel so much better and my butt feels smaller and my hips look a bit different. That is why I was so shocked that it was zero lbs. on the scale :(
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others will soon chime in with far more eloquent advice for you but until then know that yes, it does happen. I've been really watching it and exercising with focus since the beginning of January. I lost initially but now I'm just hanging out at around 12 pounds lost. It actually has gone back up for me and I'm bouncing around between the same two pounds and have been for several weeks.

At first I was discouraged but then I realized I'm doing weights as well as the cardio so there is some water retention there as my muscles need to rebuild themselves. I also have noticed my clothes fitting looser and my measurements are shrinking.

Give your body time to adjust to what you're doing. Even without the scale or tape measure moving for awhile, yes it is worth it! You aren't doing this just to lose weight. You're doing it (hopefully!) to be healthier and that takes a little time. You didn't go to bed one night fit and healthy and wake up the next morning overweight and out of shape. It was a gradual slide downhill and now you have a gradual climb back up. It won't be easy but the things worth having seldom are. Hang in there and know you're making progress even if you can't see it.
  • chaparra81
    Options
    We all have or will be there. Dont beat yourself up when I don't lose weight but don't gain any I see it as an accomplishment. Stay focus and strong.
  • tlschlp
    Options
    Weighing in is NOT the only indicator! Measure yourself and check to see how your clothes are fitting. Also, take some "before" pics ... with some "during" and "after" ones as well. You will DEFINITELY be seeing a difference!

Also, just because your body reacted initially, it doesn't mean it won't 'get over the shock' before it realizes this is the new you! Give it a little time before you throw in the towel. Trust me, the time is worth it!
  • chyleki
    Options

Give your body time to adjust to what you're doing. Even without the scale or tape measure moving for awhile, yes it is worth it! You aren't doing this just to lose weight. You're doing it (hopefully!) to be healthier and that takes a little time. You didn't go to bed one night fit and healthy and wake up the next morning overweight and out of shape. It was a gradual slide downhill and now you have a gradual climb back up. It won't be easy but the things worth having seldom are. Hang in there and know you're making progress even if you can't see it.

This made me smile...the part regarding we didn't go to bed fit and healthy and woke up overweight...it sure does feel like it HAHA.

Thanks ladies I appreciate it :)
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    well that is just the thing, I feel so much better and my butt feels smaller and my hips look a bit different. That is why I was so shocked that it was zero lbs. on the scale :(

Are you measuring yourself too? The scale, as I have learned, does NOT have the final say. Also, watch your sodium intake and up the water. You will be fine, you CAN do this! :)
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    Inches often come off before pounds... Dont look at weight as your victory, look at how you feel.
    I often get caught up in the weight thing. Then I think twice when I put that pair of pants on that was a struggle just a few weeks before. I bask in the victory of being able to play with my son on the basketball court or tennis court for an hour and not be tired out. Find the small triumphs.... they can be just as sweet!
  • chyleki
    Options
    No im not measuring myself...I should I know.
    Do you know where to get the exact places to measure to be consistent?
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Patience young Padawan.

*also As far as measurements go: waist (at the smallest point), bust (at the largest) and hips (at the largest) is usually how people measure.
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    Other than the advice everyone seems to have already offered I can just add one more thing...............I notice you said that when you weighed yourself the second time, you did so in the afternoon..is that right??

From experience I would say this isn't the best time to weigh yourself.
    I know that if I weigh myself in the morning, then weigh myself again in the afternoon, there can be an increase of anything up to around 3 pounds!!! This can be due to all sorts of factors, fluids you've drank, food you've eaten, Sodium intake...the list is endless

Because of these factors which will give you weight fluctauations throughout the course of a day, it's best to always weigh yourself in the morning when you get up..before you've eaten..and after you've been to the bathroom.

I know how disheartening it can be when the scales don't reflect your efforts...........but they will very soon and you'll feel great!!
    Don't give up and the weight will definitely start to come off.
    Good luck.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you make a note of where you measured each part of you for accurate results. I measure my abdomen 1" above my belly button every time. On my bicep and my calf I have a freckle on each that is my fixed point that I always measure at. Just choose a spot and make a note of it at least mentally so you know where to do it again next time. And don't measure every week! give it at least a couple! I measure once a month.
  • owens_n7
    Options
    Keep it up! The scale can be misleading... Muscle weighs more than fat. BMI is a better indicator, and over time you will see the real results. Keep up the hard work...
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have just started a proper weight loss plan after just trying to be much more careful from christmas.

Between christmas and end of january I lost 7lb! great - ( i was performing in a panto every weekend!)

but then first week of weigh in - lost nothing!
    last week 3.8lb - result

But what I hadn't taken much notice of was my sizes - I've lost a couple of inches from my wasit and an inch from my thighs, calfs and upper arms.

So drag out the tape measure and give it ago.

I used excel to make a note of all my measurements - and I am trying to do it just once a month, and by doing it in excel I can plot a graph to show myself what is happening!

Keep it up