Salon protocol

Options
I need some advice, which may sound kind of silly, but I'm really confused as to what I should do.

I have been getting my hair done by a really fabulous stylist that I now consider a fairly good friend. We have dinner occasionally, exchange e-mail, etc. She owns a salon, so my family always gets reduced price haircuts, color, waxing, all of it. And I'm really happy with her and the way she does my hair.

BUT, I would like to do something really edgy with my hair and she's a little more conservative in her style. That shouldn't affect the way she does my hair, but it kind of does.

There is a stylist that works at her salon that is a little more open to an edgy crazy kind of thing. She does my husband and son's hair, and they always look great.

So would it be completely horribly rude to ask for this other stylist to do my hair instead of the one I've been going to? I don't want to hurt her feelings, because she is a friend and I am happy with my hair, it would just be fun to get something a little more funky. What do you guys think?

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I need some advice, which may sound kind of silly, but I'm really confused as to what I should do.

I have been getting my hair done by a really fabulous stylist that I now consider a fairly good friend. We have dinner occasionally, exchange e-mail, etc. She owns a salon, so my family always gets reduced price haircuts, color, waxing, all of it. And I'm really happy with her and the way she does my hair.

BUT, I would like to do something really edgy with my hair and she's a little more conservative in her style. That shouldn't affect the way she does my hair, but it kind of does.

There is a stylist that works at her salon that is a little more open to an edgy crazy kind of thing. She does my husband and son's hair, and they always look great.

So would it be completely horribly rude to ask for this other stylist to do my hair instead of the one I've been going to? I don't want to hurt her feelings, because she is a friend and I am happy with my hair, it would just be fun to get something a little more funky. What do you guys think?
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OOH, a sticky situation! I would wait until she is on vacation. I am so non-confrontational!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    It's your hair...(I'm keeping in mind that she's your friend.) Having said that, if she is a great stylist, she should be able to learn this other person's technique in a fairly quick time frame... You could let her know in advance that that's what you are looking for and just give her the chance to give you the edgy look. She is your friend and she may be a little more tentative with your hair vs. the gal off the street's. Just let her know how great you'd feel, how much you are looking forward to it and why. Best of luck!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I know the salon I go to is REALLY open about that. There are signs posted all over the place that say "No Hurt Feelings Here if YOU decide it is time to see a new stylist". That helps tremendously. It is your hair, after all.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to your apprehension... I might chat with your current stylist about the look you are going for, and see if she understand you / gets it / is "on board" and go from there!

Try and communicate with your current stylist before jumping ship - you never know, as she might be the one to do it for you! She might be giving you a more conservative look, because she is getting that vibe from you...

Just my thoughts...
    :flowerforyou:
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    I like GoGetterMom's idea. Maybe they can tag team to come up with a new style for you! Explain to your current stylist that you are thinking about something new and maybe bring up that you have liked some of the styles that the other stylist has done for other clients. They could share ideas and come up with something together. No feelings hurt. Don't go behind her back ... could make things really sticky!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Next time I go in I would ask her what days she takes off, then the next time you call in say that that is the only day you can come in so the other lady will have to cut your hair.

Or you could take a picture in of the hair style you want and ask her to cut it like the picture. May be she thinks you are conservative and that's why she cuts your hair conservatively
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like GoGetterMom's idea. Maybe they can tag team to come up with a new style for you! Explain to your current stylist that you are thinking about something new and maybe bring up that you have liked some of the styles that the other stylist has done for other clients. They could share ideas and come up with something together. No feelings hurt. Don't go behind her back ... could make things really sticky!
    I agree too. You never know, if she isn't comfortable doin it herself she might even suggest the other stylist.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    New hairstyles can be tricky...the one you have in your picture certainly looks wonderful, but something different???
    My stylist asked me to give her a heads up, some time to think before she did something new, then she did a great job (but then just shorter is a change for me....)..so agreeing with the crew that leans toward giving her a chance to show you her creative side...IMHO....:smile:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i worked in a salon as a receptionist, and if the owner clients went to someone else she got bent out of shape about it. the only time she didn't was if she couldn't get them in (2/3 month wait), or she was out on vacation.
    i would just say "gee saw the cut so and so did and i really like it, i want that" and see what she says. bring it up to her. tell her you want something different and on the edge for your new look.
    or if while you are out for dinner with her and you happen to see someone with the cut, tell her how much you would like to try that.
    good luck.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    ...Or you could take a picture in of the hair style you want and ask her to cut it like the picture. May be she thinks you are conservative and that's why she cuts your hair conservatively
    I agree too. You never know, if she isn't comfortable doin it herself she might even suggest the other stylist.
    [/quote]
    Yep, yep, and yep! I agree. Definitely take in some pictures for her to see what kind of style you're going for and I'd bet that if she didn't feel she could deliver, she would suggest the other stylist. Besides, you said this is her salon, right? She certainly wouldn't want to lose your business or your friendship. I think she will be more than happy to accommodate.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Bet ya didn't think a Y chromosome carrier would speak up, did ya? *chuckle* But we have a similar situation! The gal that owns the shop where Ezzie and I go also rents our vacation cottage from us, and we consider her to be a friend. My usual haircut is simply trimming what I got, no muss no fuss. But... when Fall starts, and it turns into deer season, I grow a chinstrap, and get a flat top. Since the owner can't do that, I have one of the other girls do it instead. You might simply ask her if the new style you want is one she do really well, or would there be a better person for that cut? If she is a friend, and she doesn't feel that she could do it as well as the other gal, she'd still be happy that her business is seeing you, and no harm, no foul on the friendship. :tongue: