Personal Trainers

Options
Im wondering does anyone have a personal trainer or are you thinking of getting one. Because I am. Just they are very expensive but I think I could really lose the weight if I had someone really motivating me, exercising with me and showing me the right way to do things.

Im just looking for other peoples opinions, all of which are very welcome.

:-)

Replies

• ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i have a private training session with two friends which brings the cost down considerably. Very worthwhile, I've beeen going regularly for six months which I never managed with normal gym training.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have one that I see 3x a month and he is great. Very encouraging and gets me to do things I don't do on my own. It's nice to have the accountability as well.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    the gym I signed up for gave me a free session once a month. But they were recently bought out and now no longer offer that which bums me out. but if I could afford it I would see one weekly or even daily.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I had two personal trainers for 3 months and lost 36 pounds during that time which was absolutely great. Now I just do what the they taught me and save the expense. I find I don't push myself as hard as they did, but I still do a decent workout that I did not do prior to working with them. If the cost is too high some gyms have intern trainers at a lower cost.
  • peterdsherry
    Options
    I have one. I joined a gym (lifetime fitness) and there were a number of sessions included for joining, or at least it was one of the options. I have only seen him once, but I only joined a month ago. He's a Russian kettlebell instructor as well, so I'm hoping to gain some ground from learning to use kettlebells more effectively.
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    when I went to a gym, they gave me a free trainer for a week and it was awesome! very hard work...but since it was only a week, I wasn't motivated afterward and gave up. now I wish I had took advantage of that haha
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have one (trainers are free at my company gym), and I love having the input, and a soundboard for my concerns and ideas. I am 100% sure I would not be where I am today without him.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I have found, quite recently, that i don't go to the gym as often as i do when i have a trainer. I had unlimited training sessions in january and was there 3-4 days a week. Since January I have been to the gym once.... ugh. I need to get back in there and don't really want to pay for the trainer right now. I have boot camps starting in March so I won't pay for my trainer during that month but after that i probably will start again.

He has done a great job teaching me things that i can do on my own or do at home with just the equipment i have there. he also makes me do things that i will NOT do unless he is there making me do them. He is definitely good for getting me going though.

aaaand today we make the not so triumphant return to the gym. have to or those boot camps will KILL ME DEAD when they start next week. :-)
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Mine is amazing! Some are not so great. I would research them well and then go for it!!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't even think about getting sessions with a trainer bc I do workout dvds at home and find that the circuit training I get from Jillian Michaels is very similar to what I would do with a trainer anyway. But I am someone that workouts every day and is very self motivating. The only thing I really want to try right now is Zumba. :happy:
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    Mine is amazing! Some are not so great. I would research them well and then go for it!!

This is a very good point. I would get referrals if you have friends who have trainers in your area.
  • tracyg86
    tracyg86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Its something im seriously considering. The personal trainers at my gym offer a free tester session so think i might try that first and see how it goes.

Have to admit Im a bit unsure about doing squats at the gym lol should be fun though.

:-)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Well, my fiancee is no trainer, but he does an excellent job playing task master (when I really urge him to) for food..and when hes here and im doing one of my strength training routines he will watch me and tell me like.."Sue, your strong, you can do this..c'mon keep going, you got like so and so reps left" really motivating, and with that, helps me win the race. :smile:
  • tracyg86
    tracyg86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, my fiancee is no trainer, but he does an excellent job playing task master (when I really urge him to) for food..and when hes here and im doing one of my strength training routines he will watch me and tell me like.."Sue, your strong, you can do this..c'mon keep going, you got like so and so reps left" really motivating, and with that, helps me win the race. :smile:

Thats great that he gives you that support. A little support goes a long way! :-)
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had one for a couple of years. One of the best investments ever. Really pushed me hard, and I really started to enjoy the pain. Sorted out so many issues with my posture, knee pain etc as well as improving my health.

It also gave me a point of accountability each week, and even if I started to derail I knew I had my appointment booked in.

Two years of moving out of home, losing job etc. I haven't done it for a while. Fitness down, weight up.

But recently I decided can I afford *not* to get back into training. So am starting with a trainer next month at my new gym, and am looking forward to it.

Go for it. I really recommend it. Get one that is genuinely interested in you, and try once a week - but even every other week... even once a month if you really can't afford much, I say go for it.
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have had the same trainer for 2 years now.. well it is an off again on again relationship! We are starting out again this week on a 1 day 1 hour basis until he has more time... He checks food journals and yells at me when I need it.. and I have him on speed dial! That helps.. To have a trainer that will answer questions when he is not on the clock

When I trained with him reguallry, I may not have lost a ton of weight because of my own eating habits... my body changed totally though!! time to get back on it.