What in the blazes are you guys eating

Options
Hi pals!

I am going to figure out what works best for me if its the last thing I do. So far I've done Atkins, lil bit of something like South Beach, my own variation on low carbs (you know: no breads, potatoes, rice etc), the 17 day plan and eating most if not all my exercise calories. I've done organic, whole wheats, no sugars, gluten free, I've done it all. Here's the thing, I am a snacker. I eat my three meals but I have got to graze throughout the day.

I was just curious as to what my successful weightloss pals are eating everyday: breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks

thanks
tameka

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am a snacker too and three meals and three snacks is how I make it through the day. Flavored rice cakes, nuts, yogurt with granola in it, raisins, grapes - snacks where I have a bit of the hand to mouth action make my days easier.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I read the "Weigh Down Diet," and it really worked for me in the past- basically, you can eat anything you want, but ONLY if you are actually hungry, then stop once you're not hungry anymore (not full!) I've slacked a bit since the first time I tried it, but am getting back into it now- I really like to "munch" too, but try to chew spearmint gum whenever I've got the munchies, cause nothing tastes good with spearmint! Don't deny yourself, or you'll go crazy! Good luck!
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi!

I usually have:

Breakfast
    Porridge with honey/jam (sooooo filling!)

Lunch
    Brown bread sandwich
    fat free yoghurt
    celery/carrots/other raw veggies
    Peice of fruit

Dinner
    Grilled chicken/soup/anything I can find! (I'm a student so my budget is unforgiving!)

And of course as much water as I can possibly fit in myself :)

Hope this helps!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I ate before, just less of it. And more fresh veggies. And a LOT more water.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm what you would call a diet failure. I've lost the same 50 pounds three times, and here I am doing it again. When I'm losing or maintaining, I'm eating clean. Lean meats, veggie, fruit, and complex carbs (whole wheat bread and pasta -- very limited). Nuts for snacks or hard boiled eggs, etc. Limited processed food. Unfortunately, something has always thrown me back into eating like crap and then I gain --- in the bat of an eye gain. Seriously, I can put those 50 pounds on in three months!!

I've also found I have to count calories. It is just the way it is. Its not like I don't know I'm eating poorly when I am, but I just don't care without the number staring at me or I think "I'll make up for it tomorrow" and guess what? Tomorrow never comes. I still do "cheat meals" when losing or maintaining, but not full out cheat days.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    A lot of people's diaries are open (including mine) check em out!
    You want to eat more than 3 times a day anyhow!
    I go for fruit, or coffee, things that add to my daily needs ergo milk in my coffee etc.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I read the "Weigh Down Diet," and it really worked for me in the past- basically, you can eat anything you want, but ONLY if you are actually hungry, then stop once you're not hungry anymore (not full!) I've slacked a bit since the first time I tried it, but am getting back into it now- I really like to "munch" too, but try to chew spearmint gum whenever I've got the munchies, cause nothing tastes good with spearmint! Don't deny yourself, or you'll go crazy! Good luck!

And how does all this work?
  • chefchazz
    Options
    i love my snacks too. i eat popcorn EVERY SINGLE DAY and dropped my weight doing so!!! i love it! i use the flavor powders. nacho cheese and white cheddar are my fave. not a sweets person so the salty crunch is very satisfying.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'll eat anything, provided it fits into my calorie allowance. However, I feel better (and find it easier to keep my sodium intake down) if I eat very little processed food. We try to make most things from scratch.

Today has been pretty average:

Breakfast: Porridge oats with raspberry flavored semi-skim milk.

Snack: Pear

Lunch: 2 pieces of spelt bread, 1 portion tin of mackerel in tomato sauce, 1 tbs cottage cheese, 1 ts raspberry jam

Snack: Yoplait low-fat low-cal yoghurt

Dinner: Homemade taco salad without the taco shell - lettuce, tomatoes, onions, light Greek yoghurt, ground pork, chickpeas.

....and for an evening, post-workout snack: An apple, a diet hot chocolate drink and a protein bar, since I had the calories to allow it.

My diary is open, feel free to have a look - or add me as a friend. (PS: I am eating at maintenance level now, so I have upped my calories for a couple of weeks, but if you go past last Thursday, you'll find the "diet" diary.)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oh - and I can't wait to eat until I'm hungry. I wish i could - but I have to eat on a schedule. Unfortunately, I never get a little hungry - I go straight from not hungry at all to I want to eat my own arm - lol. So, I have to make sure I never get hungry. For me, that means eating first thing in the am, again at about 10:30 (snack), 1:30 (lunch), 4:00 (snack) and then supper as early as 5:30. I'm not a night time snacker luckily - but I'm sunk if I don't get that late afternoon snack in. All will power is gone!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks (usually) a day as well. Breakfast is usually a protein shake or egg/egg whites. Lunch is usually a salad, sandwich or left overs from dinner day before. Dinner is usually lean protein and some steamed veggies with salad. Snacks are typically fruit, nuts, pop chips (i've been eating too many recently lol...love those things), veggies with the spray wishbone dressing (15 cals in 10 sprays i think), half a pb & j. My diary is open as well.
  • hmschultz
    Options
    Breakfast: 3 egg whites, slice whole wheat toast, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup fresh peaches
    Snack: fruit (apple, grapes, orange, grapefruit)
    Lunch: 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup broccoli, 5 oz cooked shrimp
    Snack: Kashi honey almond flax granola bar
    Supper: lean chicken breast, 1/2 cooked pasta, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 to 1 cup whole steamed green beans
    If I get the munchies I add another piece of fruit, some raw carrots, almonds, or a 100 cal bag of microwave popcorn.

Check out Michis Ladder ( you can google it) and I try to stay in the top 2 tiers as much as possible.
  • ashers1819
    Options
    I tend to snack all afternoon on carrot sticks or celery.

I find if I always have something to nibble on in front of me then I am not tempted to eat junk.

I am also trying to chew each mouthful 10 times before swallowing, I find that processed foods just don't taste nice after being chewed that much and as a result I have drastically cut down my portions.

I don't believe in dieting, but I do think that eating to your own body's needs is the only way to lose weight and keep it off.
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have created my own principles based on trial and error. My average weekday eating looks like this:

Breakfast: a banana or an apple with a hot drink (Hot drink is either coffee with skimmed milk no sugar, or green tea: at my desk- i dont like eating in the morning)

Lunch: apple, 2 slices of high bran or high fibre small cut bread (55 cal pieces) with 30g peanut butter (no butter) sometimes a packet of quavers or wotsits OR sometimes a banana (crisps or banana, not both)

After gym (usually burn around 400 cals): either some sushi from tesco (170-240 cals depending on which one) or an alpro soya milshake (175 cals)

Dinner: a ready meal (which ever one looks best depending on cals/fat/sodium left for the day) with a pile of green veg

Snacks: I try to keep my snacks to fruit, but often turn to quavers or wotsits, so long as its within the cals/fat/sodium budget!!

Seems to be working so far,although i do tend to steer slightly off-course at weekends!!!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You definately want to eat throughout the day, not just 3 meals and one snack. I eat about every 2 1/2-3 hours. I eat anything I want, but make myself keep it in porportion to what I am allowed in MFP. With the only exception for going over my limit is fiber or protein. Definately not in calories, fat, carbs, sugars, etc... (Salt is hard). I tried Atkins, but I am a carb person. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my potatoes, bread and popcorn. I still eat it, just less of it. And when I stopped Atkins, I gained twice as much back! So far 5 weeks in on MFP and just over 17 pounds down! I try to stay away from processed foods (prepackaged stuff) except for my special K crackers. Nice fit if you crave potato chips. Wraps are great alternatives to sandwiches. "Flatouts" are the best wraps when you get into ranking them nutritionally. (I can only find them at Wegmans.) You only need one wrap instead of two slices of bread for a sandwich and you can put anything in them....scrambled egg beaters, salad, tuna, lunch meat, chili, etc... Fill in with lettuce, peppers, chopped celery, tomatoes, etc...FIRST and then add in the protein. My only problem is my potassium level, it's always way down, which is why I will have a half baked potato with the skin and put a half cup chili over it. I am allergic to bananas and hate avocados. Seafood is another issue for me. I can manage a broiled fish with lots of cajun seasoning, but the rest of it. UGH
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm a grazer too but that's not a bad thing, as others have mentioned. If my calories are tight, I find that there are a few snacks that give me a lot of "bang for the buck" so to speak. A little greek yogurt with a tablespoon of granola is really filling and satisfies cravings for me for a good long while. I just ate a baked sweet potato today that was delicious... a little one will set you back only a bit above 100 calories plus any sugar that you may add - I added a Tbsp of brown sugar but I don't think I really needed it in retrospect.

For meals, substitutes for bread rock - the flatouts as mentioned are great, so are the 100 calorie deli flats or light whole grain muffins.

I don't follow any particular diet other than trying to eat as many whole foods as possible while trying to eliminate as many refined flours and sugars and processed junk as I can, while logging calories and exercise with MFP. Good luck!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    For breakfast I try to have something with a good amount of protein. A tortilla or two filled with a scrambled egg, some diced Canadian Bacon and a smidge of cheese. Or a low-fat homemade Egg McMuffin style sandwich.

For lunch I do a lot of chicken. My favorite is a chicken breast topped with goat cheese & cherry tomatoes with a side of polenta.

Our dinners vary. Some sort of lean protein & low-carb veggies (for my low-carbin' husband) with some sort of healthy starch for me and the boys. A lot of times we will have fruit with dinner for our starch.

For snacks I do fruit, yogurt, cereal, various bars (I'm on the run a lot so throwing a Luna Bar in my purse is easiest), or a small portion of leftovers.

My downfall is that I don't get enough fruits and veggies in. I normally do fine on all my other nutrients - although I sometimes go way over on sodium. Trying to work on these things.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    today I had:

Breakfast: French toast (1/4 cup egg beaters, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1/4 cup skim milk, cinnamon and splenda)

Lunch: 1 cup (this is a lot) of home cooked pinto beans and fruit salad (apple, banana, 1 teaspoon of coconut flakes, 4 maraschino cherries, 4 large strawberries and 8 green seedless grapes, 1/2 teaspoon of mayonnaise)

Snack: banana smoothie

Dinner: Chicken and white bean soup

All of that was right at 1200 calories and less than 1500 g of sodium! And I'm completely full!
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ok I luv the responses! Keep them coming. I think I am going to go back to the "healthier" but less restrictive way I was eating. Yes I heard of flat out and they ROCK! But I just need to find as many healthy grazing snacks as possible.

What do you guys think about:

nature's place all natural blue corn tortilla chip
    organic salsa
    reduced fat cheddar cheesesticks
    peanuts
    almonds
    cashews
    pork rinds
    granola bars
    smart food white cheddar popcorn
    microwave lowfat pocorn
    atkins bars
    atkins shakes
    luna bars
    nonfat yogurt

For my meals I am going to stick with with lean meats and veggies, but i will still do things like spaghetti (made with whole grain pasta noodles and ground turkey), maybe throw in a starch every now and then... potatoe (sweet or white) here, rice there.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker too-- and I really think that done correctly, snacking can HELP with healthy eating rather than hinder it. Snacking helps keep your metabolism ticking away, and can keep your blood sugar level more steady throughout the day. It keeps your energy level up, so you're more likely to keep active rather than getting sleepy halfway through the afternoon. At least, that's my theory. :)

My standby quick snacks:

Fresh fruit (I have a big bowl of clementine oranges and another that usually has apples, bananas and pears in it, right on the counter close to the fridge-- strategically positioned so that it is in fact easier to grab a piece of fruit instead of opening the fridge!)

Dried fruit (I love prunes, dried cranberries, and dried mango)

A piece of whole grain toast or Wasa crispbread with laughing cow cheese, yogurt spread or some cottage cheese.

Raw veggies and hummus.

A dill pickle! This is my go-to when I'm craving something salty. Pickles aren't exactly *healthy*, since they pack a lot of sodium, but they are a heck of a lot better than potato chips or most other salty snacks-- only 15 calories per spear for the ones I get. (I can't eat popcorn-- it tends to upset my stomach-- but I'd think that would also be a feasible salty snack alternative.)

When I want something sweet outside of fruit, I'll have a glass of almond milk with a little bit of chocolate syrup, or I'll mix some cottage cheese with a small amount of fruit preserves and spread it on toast or crispbread.