Cinnamon

Options
has anyone heard of taking Cinnamon as a weight loss aid?

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon helps balance your insulin levels, so it could help in weight loss. I add it to my oatmeal every morning and I am not hungry for hours.
  • gunny34
    Options
    I have NEVER heard of that ... I don't really like cinnamon but hey, to shed some weight, I'd learn to love it.LOL
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Cinnamon helps balance your insulin levels, so it could help in weight loss. I add it to my oatmeal every morning and I am not hungry for hours.

I add cinnamon to mine every morning too and I'm always full until lunch. Dunno if thats down to the cinnamon or the oatmeal though lol.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Also a really nifty trick: Bet someone that they can't eat a tablespoon of cinnamon in under a minute! Can't be done, and you can win this bet a few times before bystanders realize its completely impossible.
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ok, why can't you eat a TBS of cinnamon? Never heard that before!
  • parkerman
    Options
    It is one of the Super Foods listed on SuperFoodsRX. I love cinnamon.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Without sugar along with it, it inhibits salivation, so it just stays dry and stuck to every surface inside your mouth and you can't swallow it all at once.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Without sugar along with it, it inhibits salivation, so it just stays dry and stuck to every surface inside your mouth and you can't swallow it all at once.

We had a guy who did it at work. He built up a lot of saliva in his mouth before trying it. He barely got it down, but then was going to the bathroom every 10 minutes for the rest of our shift.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

That's brilliant! lol Don't think i'll be trying it any time soon though!

I LOVE cinnamon with a passion and put it on everything I can! lol I'm assuming just plain cinnamon powder is ok? And how much do you think you'd need for it to be used as a 'superfood'? I'm assuming a pinch here and there won't be enough to make a difference?
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also add it to my oatmeal every morning. Makes it taste sweeter to me. :)
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    they sell Cinnamon in capsules; so I thought I would try it; I googled it over the weekend and kept finding a mixture of honey and cinnamon to add to hot water and drink half a cup in the morning and one before you go to bed; i think it said 2 tsp of honey to half tsp of cinnamon in 8 oz of water. It is suppose to help with your blood sugar levels but also said to help get rid of belly fat. I'm trying the capsules first just to see how it works.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Have to be very careful with how much cinnamon you and what type you eat if you eat a lot of it. There is Cassia and Ceylon Cinnamon. Cassia is what we find on most grocery store shelves. You have to be careful about eating large amounts due to the amount of coumarin in it (can be toxic). Don't listen to the website - you CAN eat it (this site is promoting ceylon cinnamon). Ceylon is true cinnamon and has barely any coumarin at all in it.

http://www.ceylon-cinnamon.com/Identify-Cinnamon.htm

And it's 1 tsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in one cup of water. Boil the water, pour it over the cinnamon and let it sit for about a half hour. Then strain the water through some cheesecloth into another cup, add the honey (honey loses nutrients when heated) then drink a 1/2 cup in the morning 30 minutes before eating and the other half before bed on an empty stomach. I had a hard time straining it so I would try to drink it and leave the nasty cinnamon sludge at the bottom of the cup.
    The claims are it does something to abdominal fat. I tried it but it didn't really do much and the honey was giving me added sugar I was trying to stay away from. Like all weight loss aids, taking this drink goes along with a good diet and exercise.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options

We had a guy who did it at work. He built up a lot of saliva in his mouth before trying it. He barely got it down, but then was going to the bathroom every 10 minutes for the rest of our shift.

Sounds like a very entertaining place you work at. :laugh:

OT ... I've never heard of using cinnamon as a weight loss aide.

The best weight loss aide that I've ever heard of is eating a diet of mainly whole foods, cutting way down on processed foods & added sugars (eliminating, if possible), counting calories and exercising.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i like to add a teaspoon or two of cinnamon on top of my coffee grinds before starting the coffee maker. don't know if that gives me any of the benefits of cinnamon, but it sure tastes good!
  • mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i like to add a teaspoon or two of cinnamon on top of my coffee grinds before starting the coffee maker. don't know if that gives me any of the benefits of cinnamon, but it sure tastes good!

oooooo that sounds good!

My friend told me it speeds up metabolism - not sure how true that is though
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    * there's a chemical in cinnamon called chalcone polymers that increase glucose metabolism in the cells twentyfold or more (great during a growing epidemic of obesity and diabetes)

* Cimmamon also contains anthocyanins, which improve capillary function

* Cinomin inhibits the formation of ulcers and increases blood flow to the stomach in rats

* can healp combat candida (the overgrowth of yeast in the system that can cause so mamy problems), probably because these compounds have antimicrobial activity that can help stop the growth of bacteria and fungi (including candida)

* Cinnamon contains anti-inflammatory compounds that may be helpful in affecting the pain and stiffness of muscles, joints, and menstrual discomfort

* Cinnamon is really good for digestive function

* Both in test-tube and in animal studies, cinnamon funtions as what's called a carminative, which, should anyone ask you during a game of Trivial Pursuit, means "gas reliever". So if you have abdominal discomfort caused by excess gas, cinnamon would be a great thing to try

* Compounds in cinnamon called catechins help relieve nausea

* Cinnamon is know for booting flagging appetite

* Cinnamon is very digestive friendly

* an active ingredient in cinnamon seems to mimic insulin funtion, increasing glucose uptake by cells and signaling certain kinds of cells to turn glucose into glycogen (the storage form of sugar)

* In another study is showed that Cinnamon reduced not only blood sugar, but also triglycerides, total cholesterol, and LDL ("bad") cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes.

* According to C. Leigh Broadhurst, Ph. D., one of the best parts of the whole cinnamon story is that you can get the best results with the cheapest stuff. In fact, she told me taht you're better off getting the really cheap stuff from the supermarket instead of any of the esoteric and expensive oil extracts, which may have some components that could be toxic if taken internally. Cinnamon powder has already had mch of the essential oils removed during processing, so it's a nonissue. "Buying cinnamon in bulk is cost-effective and highly recommended."

* According to Broadhurst's excellent book on diabetes, the best way to use cinnamon to help lower blood sugar and improve type 2 diabetes is to put 3 rounded tablespoons of ground cinnamon and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of baking soda (less if sodium is a problem for you) in a 32 ounce (quart) canning jar. Fill the jar with boiling water and let it steep at room temperature till it's cool. Strain or decant the liquid, discard the grounds, put a lid on the jar, and stick it in the fridge. Drink one 8-ounce cup of the tea four times per day. After one to three weeks you can drop down to one or two cups a day. Type 1 diabetics can use it too, but should start with only one or two cups per day and increase by one cup per week, monitoring blood sugar closely

WORTH KNOWING

Just as the manuscript for this book was being submitted, a new animal study was published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition in which dietary cinnamon reduced blood pressure. The researches suggested that cinnamon may have a rold in glucose metabolism and blood pressure regulation; they concluded that adding beneficial substances like cinnamon to the diet may have a positive influence of blood pressure
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    i do this too!