Lost 5.5 lbs. but my jeans are tighter!

Options
How can this be explained? I work out w/ my elliptical if that makes a difference. I've been doing 45-50 min. a day at least 5 days/week. Is this supposed to happen?

Replies

• kayelkay
    Options
    are they tighter in the thighs? maybe you've gained muscle?
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Same question--where are they tighter?
  • k8dagr8
    k8dagr8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is notorious for doing this. It is a good thing though....because the elliptical extensively tones your quads and glutes you may see that the pants are tighter in the thigh area but keep up the work the fat will gradually thin out and only the muscle will be left and those jeans will fit nicely.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long you've been working out. Generally the initial phase of weight loss is water weight, but the muscles you are using the most will swell up first, because they're expanding to allow for more bloodflow for use. So, you may have lost 5.5 pounds of water. Don't worry, the more you use your legs on the elliptical, the fluid buildup in the muscles will flush back out. Drink more water to help clean out any fluid retention. You should notice the difference anywhere between a few days or a week, depending on how much water you take in per day. If possible, try drinking up to 12 cups of actual water a day.
  • nmjordan
    nmjordan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes they are tighter in the thigh area. I also noticed that they aren't as tight today- I put them on yesterday after working out and today I put them on after not having worked out this morning. So... I guess your muscles swell up when you work out? That's what I'm thinking.