Zumba

Options
Our local library has Zumba offered free once a week, so I was thinking about checking it out tonight. I don't see anything in our exercises to see what kind of calorie burn is involved. Anyone have any suggestions? I know there are lots of Zumba folks on MFP.
I am as uncoordinated as a frightened elephant, but I guess I will give it a try. :-)

Replies

• Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    When I do a class, it seems to keep my heart rate up and I use my HRM and burn anywhere from 450 to 600 calories.
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi

Give it a go its so much fun, not like exercise at all!

Ok I am 130lbs and burn around 450 cals in my 45 min class, Hope that helps

Good luck xx
  • Cilla39
    Options
    Hello .Our local community centre has just started Zumba not sure what it is. Just started keep fit ,and gym.and Myfitnesspal. trying to adjust ,best of luck to you ,I am a nan just like you ,
  • flossicle
    Options
    Zumba burns between 500 and 800 calories per hour..i do it 3x a week and always opt for the lower calorie burn but unless you have a HRM you can't be totally sure?
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have the Zumba for Wii? I really want to get it and I"m looking for some reviews!
  • butterflymedic
    Options
    It is an awesome fun dance workout.. or so say's the commercials and everyone I have talked to that does it. you can google it or youtube to get an idea.. I think I will go ahead and give it a try! Are you just starting MFP too? I love it. I has been an amazing eye opening first week!
  • mookieg
    Options
    I hate working out but LOVE Zumba!!! It's such an awesome way to get in a workout!! You don't even realize you're doing your body good, because you are too busy having a good time! I hope to one day become a Zumba instructor, but I need to work on my booty shake first :wink:
  • x_cylence_x
    Options
    I just started doing zumba too (well, and the 30 day shred) and I was curious how to keep track of it.
    Hmmm maybe it will be like the surprise workout, you won't know what it's doing til your jiggly parts are gone?

I'm just glad to be able to say I finally workout and (for the most part) stick to it!
  • momofconor
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Zumba! My friend is an awesome instructor and makes you think you should be on the t.v. show So You Think You Can Dance! I wear a heart monitor and can burn anywhere from 500-850 calories. I am 5'10" and 163 pounds, not sure if this helps but it is SO much fun!

4745767.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Zumba is the best thing that has happened on my weight loss journey so far! I have a LOT of weight to lose so I was very hesitant about starting ANYTHING, but it was one of those lucky things. I am in a weight loss contest that provides us with access to a gym and trainers for the duration. One of the trainers also teaches a Zumba class. I asked her if I could sit in and watch just to see what all the hype was about. I planned on leaving after about 10 minutes and to decide if I would stay the following week. I COULDN'T LEAVE! I just had to join in and it was a blast! The first two weeks I was unable to do the whole 60 minute class, and had to sit out a song in the middle. I've been there for 5 weeks now and I am thrilled to see that I can stay with it through the entire class time now!
    Editing because I forgot to add that I also got Zumba for the Wii and it is fun as well, although the ambiance in a class is, well more party-like but the workout is just as good.
  • srtakelch
    Options
    Zumba is awesome fun. If you really work hard and do all the moves "high intensity" (jump high, make big movements) you can burn 400 cal/hr. Some people have said more than that... but I don't think so unless you are really out of shape. I'm 5'4 150 lbs and 300-400cal I can burn from Zumba class. So make sure I enter it in MFP as "dancing" and I think the best match is "high intensity / aerobic"

Have fun! And don't stress about the choreography - go 2 or 3 times and you'll stop messing up and look like an expert.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I just got my Zumba CD's a couple of weeks ago and have been watching and trying to learn the steps as I jog on the treadmill but today I tried it for the first time by myself! It was a lot of fun except for the parts where I still get lost with the moves but I just keep moving and trying to figure it out and eventually get close. LOL I did some of the cardio party this morning and just finshed wtih the 20 min. Ab workout. My abs feel tight now so I'm sure they got a workout, even though it didn't really feel like it much. I'm frustrated though because there's no way to track this on MFP. I feel like I can't get a good picture of my fitness plan without some kind of record of what I'm doing to burn calories and build muscle. *sigh*
  • shelliewu
    Options
    I went to a Zumba class with several co-workers today. One, who is very athletic- runs 5k's, etc- wore a heart rate monitor which showed she burned 880 calories during the 1 hour class. I created my own exercise category for it.
  • fitag
    fitag Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    zumba is heaps of fun and lots of laughs at yourself ! You'll be surprised at home many people cant get everything right which is why its fun because they are all in the same boat!

I was a little apprehensive when I first went but then I realised that its like any other aerobics class but more fun because its like you are just dancing to the music! ....and boy do you really work up a sweat!

Im all for zumba! thats why my ticker says "party yourself into shape!" :)
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You can go in and create your own exercise for anything that doesn't show up in the database. Find out online how many average carbs are in an hour of Zumba and put it in the database. It will be there for you to use in the future. I looked up how many calories Zumba burned once, but I forgot.