CSA, Organic, or canning anyone?

Options
We are signing up for a CSA for the first time this season and planning to do you pick it for some canning and freezing. Anyone have any experience with htis?

Replies

• joe1897
    Options
    I was a member of a CSA farm for the last two seasons. The first season was good, but last season was horrible. The weather in New Jersey ruined the harvest. This season, I joined up with Suburban Organics since they will deliver a box of organic produce to my door twice a month (or more frequently, if I desire). It's pretty affordable, too.

However, when I was a member of the CSA farm I did find myself eating more vegetables in every meal (for example, I'd put squash in my scrambled eggs). I think you'll enjoy it. Good luck!
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about home canning, I do some, veggies, salsa and meat and hope to can some jam this year. If you need help, your local extension office should either have some one, or have a number of someone, that can help you. It's fun a fun but laborious process, but the end results are good. Last time I canned green beans, we had enough for our family of 5 for a year and a half (I'm aiming for two years worth this time)! Good luck!
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Yeah, fortunately we live in the county seat of an agricultural area and live within 10 miles of an organic CSA farm. I have read about canning meat – but it just seems so different than anything I am used to. What sort of meat did you can?
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love our local CSA - I took a year off because I found that I wasn't eating all the produce because of my cooking habits at the time. I'm thinking I'll start again this summer because my produce intake has gone way up. Also, I tried doing the almost year round share, and there were times in November that I thought I would cry if I saw another celery root or turnip.

Home canned stuff rocks. I can my own tuna - my cousin fishes off the coast of WA. Home canned pears are YUMMY! I've also frozen my own broccoli - emerald green and amazingly sweet.

I have the Ball Book of canning - kinda like a magazine but gives good tips, and "Putting Food By", a book that tells you lots of stuff about freezing, canning, and drying. Good luck!