NEED: Low Fat Sweet Potato Recipes

Options
That_Girl
That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
Well, I guess I don't have to write much. I need some low fat/calories/sodium sweet potato recipes! No meat, thanks!

You're awesome!

mg_swpotwht01e.jpg

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I cut them in half lengthwise and put them cut side down on a baking sheet (sprayed with PAM) and bake at 350F for about 20-30 mins until they're soft to the touch. Then I let them cool, scoop out the flesh and mash it.
  • michaelsdavies
    michaelsdavies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I peel them, chop them, boil for 7 minutes, drain them, then in a hot oven with 1cal spray, s&p, oregano and chilli flakes, about 15 minutes in my oven gets them nice and crispy on the outside but keep checking them. Serve them with some yogurt for dipping!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    rinse with water
    poke a few holes with fork
    place in 400 degree oven, on top of aluminum foil, for 50-60 minutes
    eat
    :bigsmile:
  • AngeKelly
    Options
    Moroccan sweet potato, carrot and chickpea soup
    Ingredients (serves 4)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
    600g orange sweet potato, peeled, diced
    500g carrots, peeled, sliced
    6 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
    300g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    1/2 small lemon, juiced
    Method
    1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sweet potato and carrot. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. 2. Add stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
    3. Add chickpeas to soup and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until chickpeas are tender.
    4. Blend soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to saucepan over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Heat, stirring, until hot (do not boil).

I really love this soup, I usually exchange the chicken stock for vegetable stock though.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Cut them cup like fries and sprinkles spices on them! Baaaake. Yum.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    HA! These ideas are all excellent! That soup sounds amazing.

Maybe I'll make fries too.

And just bake one to eat.

I LOVE sweet potatoes. It's like dessert. For dinner.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i make sweet potato "fries" in my toaster oven at least once a week. I simply cut a sweet potato (w skin on) into "fries" and bake them for about 25-30 minutes at 425 F in a pan w a very *very* minimal amount of oil. Just enough to prevent sticking. (rearrange once or twice while baking) I like the flavor of the "fries" so much i dont even add salt.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Put a Laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedge in it :)
  • abg21
    abg21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is a really good sweet potato fry recipe, as long as you like fairly spicy things:

2 large sweet potatoes, cut in large matchsticks/batons approx. 1/4" x 2"
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chile powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
    just enough oil to make the spices stick (or you could use olive oil cooking spray)

Then you cook them in a 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes, turning them over once
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    ok ya'll are making me hungry:smile:
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Traditional Sweet Potato Casserole

Top this lightened version of the classic sweet potato casserole with both marshmallows and toasted pecans. (For more classic dishes, visit our sweet potato recipes collection.)

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients
    2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
    Cooking spray
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375°.

Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.

Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients (through vanilla). Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans. Scrape potato mixture into an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans; top with marshmallows. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    186 (27% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.5g (sat 2g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.9g)
    Protein:
    1.6g
    Carbohydrate:
    33.1g
    Fiber:
    2.5g
    Cholesterol:
    8mg
    Iron:
    0.7mg
    Sodium:
    272mg
    Calcium:
    23mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Sweet Potato Tart with Pecan Crust

Be sure to look for the pure maple syrup to use in this recipe. It adds just a hint of sweetness that doesn't overpower the other flavors of the tart. You can make this dessert up to 2 days ahead; keep it refrigerated until you're ready to serve your guests.

Yield: 10 servings

Ingredients
    Crust:
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/4 cup pecans
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    Cooking spray
    Filling:
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
    3/4 cup soft silken tofu, drained
    1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Syrup:
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, pecans, and salt in a food processor; process until pecans are finely ground. Add butter; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.

With processor on, slowly add 2 tablespoons syrup through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Place dough on a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 or 5 times (dough will be sticky).

Place dough in a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over dough; press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Discard plastic wrap. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup syrup and cornstarch. Place syrup mixture, sweet potato, and next 6 ingredients (sweet potato through nutmeg) in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides. Spoon mixture into prepared crust, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.

Place 1/2 cup syrup in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup; remove from heat. Cool and drizzle about 1 1/2 teaspoons over each serving.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    264 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    7.3g (sat 2.8g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein:
    4g
    Carbohydrate:
    46.6g
    Fiber:
    3.4g
    Cholesterol:
    11mg
    Iron:
    1.6mg
    Sodium:
    81mg
    Calcium:
    45mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole

Sprinkle a buttery, brown sugar and pecan mixture over the top of the creamy potatoes in this sweet potato casserole that's sweet enough to be dessert.

Yield: 18 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)

Ingredients
    14 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 5 pounds)
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375°.

Place potato in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Combine the half-and-half and next 4 ingredients (half-and-half through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potato to egg mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Combine flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add chilled butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over potato mixture.

Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until the topping is browned and the potatoes are thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    250 (23% from fat)
    Fat:
    6.3g (sat 2.4g,mono 2.5g,poly 1g)
    Protein:
    3.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    46.1g
    Fiber:
    2.7g
    Cholesterol:
    22mg
    Iron:
    1.2mg
    Sodium:
    149mg
    Calcium:
    49mg
  • rhonda1960
    rhonda1960 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I peel, slice add 1/4 cup water Microwave covered with plastic until tender, remove and sprinkle with cinnamon, Splenda and spray with a little butter spray.
  • Wildflower3475
    Wildflower3475 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make sweet potato fries and they are sooo much better tasting then regular fries. The kids love em too.
    Just cut them into strips, put them on a baking sheet and season them anyway you like and stick them in the oven on 350F.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Moroccan sweet potato, carrot and chickpea soup
    Ingredients (serves 4)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
    600g orange sweet potato, peeled, diced
    500g carrots, peeled, sliced
    6 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
    300g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    1/2 small lemon, juiced
    Method
    1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sweet potato and carrot. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. 2. Add stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
    3. Add chickpeas to soup and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until chickpeas are tender.
    4. Blend soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to saucepan over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Heat, stirring, until hot (do not boil).

I really love this soup, I usually exchange the chicken stock for vegetable stock though.
    Yummy! Can't wait to try this...
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Traditional Sweet Potato Casserole

Top this lightened version of the classic sweet potato casserole with both marshmallows and toasted pecans. (For more classic dishes, visit our sweet potato recipes collection.)

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients
    2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
    Cooking spray
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375°.

Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.

Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients (through vanilla). Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans. Scrape potato mixture into an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans; top with marshmallows. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    186 (27% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.5g (sat 2g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.9g)
    Protein:
    1.6g
    Carbohydrate:
    33.1g
    Fiber:
    2.5g
    Cholesterol:
    8mg
    Iron:
    0.7mg
    Sodium:
    272mg
    Calcium:
    23mg

Thanks! This will be made at our next Thanksgiving!! Awesome.
  • maisie_moo
    Options
    I'm addicted to sweet potato and butternut squash chips (fries)
    cut both into appropriate size fries
    place in plastic bag with tsp garlic olive oil and spices (fave is nutmeg)
    give a good shake and "squidge" until all are covered (a lot of the oil stays on the inside of the bag) and cook on baking tray for about 25mins

mmm, might go make some now!
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If u have an iPhone there are plenty of free apps for healthy recipes- all recipes(spark) and vegan yumyum are ones that I use to find new and healthy recipes